[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PS/2 70-E61 Queries.

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/12/89)

Hello.

Does anyone make a 8514/A card for the IBM PS/2 model 70? (apart from IBM). I
can get an IBM at a really good student discount, but I want the high resolution
available through AT type clones and generic Super VGA cards.

Also, any info on what I might expect to pay for a MCA type modem (2400B) and
3 Megs of memory for the same computer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Milan
mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc
.edu
.

rogers@falcon.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (07/13/89)

In article <111700117@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Does anyone make a 8514/A card for the IBM PS/2 model 70? (apart from IBM). I
>can get an IBM at a really good student discount, but I want the high res.
>available through AT type clones and generic Super VGA cards.

There are about three places cloning 8514/A chipsets and all of them are
better than IBM.  all of them are from 1.5 to 3 times faster, and all of
them have non-interlace as well as interlace. (vs interlace only on IBM)
   [I have heard that interlace 1024x768 looks no better than 800x600]
One of these chipsets also implements backward compatability with  super VGA,
VGA,EGA, MDA,CGA,HERC. Also, some of them can handle super 8514/A at 1280x1024.
  All are less expensive than IBM, and all should be available  in 3 to 6
months.  I got this information from one of the july or june INFO weeks.
  Oh, unfortunatly for you, all are AT-bus boards.  You may have to
wait another 3 months for MCA versions.
Hedland, paradise, and one other are makeing these clone chips.

>Also, any info on what I might expect to pay for a MCA type modem (2400B) and
>3 Megs of memory for the same computer would be appreciated.

I would guess a MCA internal modem would be around $200 which is more
expensive than a external modem.  just get a decent external modem for
$100 to $150.
   If you can use SIMMs, I would expect to pay $120 per Megabyte from
decent priced memory house, $190 from a indecent place.
 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
       612-782-7737                use this address if your reply bounces

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (07/18/89)

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Also, any info on what I might expect to pay for a MCA type modem (2400B) and
>3 Megs of memory for the same computer would be appreciated.

>Thanks in advance,
>Milan
>mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc
>.edu
>.
Don't buy an internal modem!  If you later decide you don't like MCA, you
won't be able to move your modem.  Also, MCA slots are a VERY LIMITED
resource.   My mod 70 has only 3.  I don't think you want to be using them
up without need.  Your motherboard will have a "free" serial port, so look
at an external modem.  External 2400 modems are available for around $100.
MCA is going to cost much more.  If you feel you CANNOT stand the unsightly
external modem, look at one of the "itty-bitty" modems designed for
use with laptops.  They are a little more expensive, but you can
velcro it to the back of your pc and pretend that it is internal.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin