[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HP's PaintJet Color Printer

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (07/07/89)

Has anyone played with the HP PaintJet printer?  I saw a print out
of one the other day and was really impressed.  Does it require special
paper to use?

Well, I need some way to print out those 256 colors my VGA card will display!

Dream On!
-----Dale
	Rogerson-----

shinn@sunwhere.DAB.GE.COM (Steve Allen-Shinn) (07/08/89)

In article <2572@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM> rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) writes:
>Has anyone played with the HP PaintJet printer?  I saw a print out
>of one the other day and was really impressed.  Does it require special
>paper to use?

I have some experience with the PaintJet.  It doesn't require special paper,
but it is highly recommended.  It is basically a ThinkJet with a second head
for color.  While the output is spectacular (very good at least :-) on the
PaintJet paper, it can be very poor on cheap paper.  I would guess that you
can test the paper with a felt tip pen.  If that looks good, I think the
PaintJet output would look good.  Including "white", it has 8 colors
available for text and normal graphics (180 dpi) and 16 colors for reduced
resolution (90 effective dpi) graphics.

I have done no graphics programming with it, but have used the output from
an HP logic analyzer.  The resulting picture is impressive.

                     - Steve

Steve Allen-Shinn              Domain: shinn@sunny.DAB.GE.COM
GE Aerospace, SCSD             UUCP:  ...!mcnc!ge-dab!sunny!shinn
Daytona Beach, FL  32115       (904) 239-4907

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (07/11/89)

The HP Paintjet is relatively fast, *very* quiet, and with the right
software prints neat pictures. :-)

It does require special paper. We've been feeding ours the paper they
make for the Thinkjet and Quietjet printers. The colors bleed a little
more but not enough to matter in everyday use. Plain paper is a *mess*.

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

johns@hp-ptp.HP.COM (John_Schubert) (07/19/89)

I own an HP PaintJet printer. With the proper software such as Pizzazz Plus
you can dump VGA images from the screen. The PaintJet does have the ability
to display 330 different colors. I have also experimented with different papers,
and while I sometimes use ThinkJet paper for draft copies, I would recommend
that you use only PaintJet paper for color graphics.