[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What is AX computer ?

lky@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Lim Kim Yeow) (07/17/89)

Has anyone heard of AX computer ?

I have recently read from the MAY 16,1989 issue of "PC Magazine" about
the AX computer , which seems to become a new computer standard  in Japan,
but do not have further information on what AX computer is.

Can anyone share the AX information with me ? I am looking forward for it.

Thanks in advance !

john@tifsil.UUCP (John Maline) (07/19/89)

in article <340002@hpsgpa.HP.COM>, lky@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Lim Kim Yeow) says:
> Has anyone heard of AX computer ?
>
> I have recently read from the MAY 16,1989 issue of "PC Magazine" about
> the AX computer , which seems to become a new computer standard  in Japan...

AX is an industry standard for IBM AT compatible computers with Japanese
language support.  I was in Japan about 1 year ago and saw one from Sanyo
(although there are supposed to be similar computers from other vendors).

The computer I saw had two modes: standard AT and Japanese language.  In
standard mode, all appeared to be identical to an IBM AT.  In Japanese
language mode, the standard DOS commands printed prompts... in the normal
mix of kanji/hiragana (normal in Japan, that is).

Another feature of Japanese mode was a system for entering text in phonetic
Japanese ("romanji") and converting it to hiragana or kanji using a special
key on the keyboard.  All handled by DOS/BIOS and nearly invisible to the
application (a canned application, not written for the AX's, took Kanji as
input with only minor problems).  Neat.

None of this is official TI info.  Just my recollections from a trip to
Japan.  It was also a while ago, so this may not be 100% accurate.

--
John Maline                    UUCP:    ut-sally!im4u!ti-csl!tifsil!john
Texas Instruments                          sun!texsun!ti-csl!tifsil!john

spee@qmfl.qmflp.JUNET (Paul SPEE) (07/19/89)

In article <340002@hpsgpa.HP.COM> lky@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Lim Kim Yeow) writes:
>Has anyone heard of AX computer ?

Recently, several manufacturers introduced pcs using the AX standard.
The AX standard is an AT compatible Japanese pc. Feature include
JEGA mode (640x480), Japanese bios and bilingual MS-DOS ('mode a'
and 'mode j' switches between between resp. american (sigh) and
japanese hardware/software without rebooting).
The AX standard is the answer to the supremacy of NEC. Manufactures
include Mitsubishi, Sanyo, Sharp, Canon, Oki, Kyocera, Sony etc.
The main drawback is the limited availability of Japanese software.

Toshiba is not included in this list. They have the J3100 series
(T3100, T3200 etc.), which is not compatible with the AX standard.

PS. I don't have any relation with the companies stated above,
I just an owner of an AX computer.

PSS. An upgrade kit is available to change a PC/AT compatible into
an AX compatible. It includes a JEGA card, bios, keyboard and ms-dos.
 _______________________________________________ ______________________
|                                               |                      |
|   Research Development Corporation of Japan   |      __ |   | __     |
|   Quantum Magneto Flux Logic Project          |     |__| _|_ |__|    |
|   Computer Architecture Group                 |     |__| _|_ |__|    |
|   c/o Mitsui Zosen System Research            |     |   |_|_|   |    |
|       5-6-4, Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, Japan   |     |   |_|_|   |    |
|   Tel. 03-546-7587, Fax. 03-546-7588          |     |    /|\    |    |
|   spee%qmflp.junet@RELAY.CS.NET               |     |   / | \   |    |