[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Reliability of "inexpensive" 38

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/17/89)

Also, some standard AT cards don't like the Gateway: eg, Paradise VGA + 16.
Definitely a buyer beware machine...

Milan
mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
.

liber@darth.PGH.PA.US (Eric Liber) (07/19/89)

In article <111700126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> Also, some standard AT cards don't like the Gateway: eg, Paradise VGA + 16.
> Definitely a buyer beware machine...
>
> Milan
.
Gee that's funny (i hold my head and i think i am going to cry)..every
statement about this machine that Milan makes is exactly opposite to my
experience.  I have a gateway 2000 20mhz 386 and guess what video card
i am using... yep you sure are sharp today.. a Paradise VGA + 16 card.
It worked out of the box .. has continued to work in every mode .. and is
fast and in general very satisfactory.
Eric (the red baron) liber

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (07/20/89)

In article <504@darth.PGH.PA.US> liber@darth.PGH.PA.US (Eric Liber) writes:
>.
>Gee that's funny (i hold my head and i think i am going to cry)..every
>statement about this machine that Milan makes is exactly opposite to my
>experience.

This is because Milan has apparently failed to recognize a) clone companies
are constantly shifting their hardware, in Gateway's case to attain better
performance and compatibility, and b) that therefore you can't really talk
about a "Gateway machine" - you gotta talk in terms of the BIOS, the mother-
board, and other hardware.

I'm sure Milan has had troubles with his machine.  I'm equally sure that
you have been completely satisfied with yours.

                                       -Richard L. Goerwitz
                                       goer@sophist.uchicago.edu
                                       rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer