[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Another ST01/ST02 question

as2d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alan Henry Stein) (07/11/89)

Departing from the discussion on transfer rates:

What floppy drives does the ST02 support??  360/1.2/720/1.44???
How many drives 1/2/4???

Anyone out there running a Seagate 177N with either controller (48meg 3 1/2")
Any comments  (I have only a 3 1/2 drive slot free so I need the small drive).

alan

bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (07/14/89)

Anyone interested in using the ST01/2/E50 SCSI boards from Seagate
should call up their local Arrow office (electronics disti's) and
ask for the "ST01, ST02 SCSI HOST ADAPTER PRODUCT MANUAL"
(No. 36027-002 Rev G).

In there you'll learn that the ST02 supports:

o  5.25 at 360K and 1.2M
o  3.5 at 720K and 1.44M

NOTES FOR EXPERIMENTORS

These boards are cheap!  An ST01 is $35 (Can., w/taxes).

By playing with an ST01-A board I have discovered that if you boot
your PC while nothing is connected to the SCSI bus, the SCSI BIOS
complains that it has failed self-test and hangs!  The only solution
to this appears to be to remove the BIOS ROM.  The ST01 card has no
terminating resistors so the SCSI bus floats; this must be bugging
the BIOS.

The reason why this concerns me is that I am going to be using these
things for tape backup purposes -- a lot of the time there will be
nothing connected to the SCSI port.

There is also a version of the board called the ST01-E50. This has
an external connector and terminating resistors.  This is about
$45 (Can.).  I figure that's the way I should go for tapes.

BUG in DOCS:  On page 2-7 of the manual, section 2.5.9 "Status Register"
              bit 0 is called "SCSI RST".  This is wrong.  It is
really "SCSI BSY" (See also Appendix E-9).  This makes a BIG difference.

This is very nice board to program.  I have a home-made NCR5380
SCSI board from a few years ago, and I can tell you that the chip
on this board is much less complicated to use.

--
Bruce Walker                   ...uunet!mnetor!lsuc!isgtec!mutant!bmw
"Better Living Through Connectivity"  ...utzoo!lsuc!isgtec!mutant!bmw

yon@apollo.COM (David Yon) (07/19/89)

In article <111@isgtec.UUCP>, bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) writes:
>By playing with an ST01-A board I have discovered that if you boot
>your PC while nothing is connected to the SCSI bus, the SCSI BIOS
>complains that it has failed self-test and hangs!  The only solution
>to this appears to be to remove the BIOS ROM.  The ST01 card has no
>terminating resistors so the SCSI bus floats; this must be bugging
>the BIOS.

I would guess that they've fixed that problem in the ST01B, which has
a 16K rather than 8K EPROM for the BIOS.  At any rate, I did something
similar with my new ST02.  When I was fooling around with putting two
hard drives in the system this weekend (an ST157N and an RLL Miniscribe
with an XT controller), I had neglected to attach the power cable to the
ST157N.  The system booted fine, but of course the D: drive was unavail-
able for use.

BTW, I was very unfortunate to not get the Disk Manager software loaded
on the disk.  Seagate is sending it to me (real soon now), but I'm a rather
impatient individual.  Could some kind soul email me an arc'ed/uuencoded
version of the software?  Until I get it I can only use the first 32 Meg
of 48 meg, and I can't set the interleave correctly.  For some reason the
built-in BIOS formatter always chooses 3:1, and I'm almost positive that
my system can handle 1:1.  If you can help me out, please email me first
so that we don't get multiples in the system.  Thanks in advance.

David Yon

hydrox@itsgw.rpi.edu (Michael A. Hendrix) (07/21/89)

>What floppy drives does the ST02 support??  360/1.2/720/1.44???
>How many drives 1/2/4???

I have a Shamrock 268-12 PC with the ST02 controller.  According to
what little documentation that I received with it, it will handle all
of the formats you stated.  I am using a 360K and 3.5" 1.44 without
any problems.

     "Who said life was fair........I sure as heck didn't"
hydrox@hope.its.rpi.edu                          Bitnet: F7TZ@RPITSMTS