[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SCSI Drive with OS/2

bill@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (William Tsai) (07/23/89)

In article <428@mathrt0.math.chalmers.se> olle@molndal.ericsson.se (Olle Wikstrom) writes:

>I have been talking to the sales people at Gateway. They gave
>me this info: "the SCSI disk (ST297N w ST02 controller) is
>more error prune than the MFM disk (ST4096 w a DTC controller)
>and it is incompatible with OS/2 and network software."

I have a 20 MHz with 80meg SCSI.  So far I have experienced no problem
with it EXCEPT that it will not run Compaq version of OS/2 (it ran
fine on Dell machines.)  First it took about 2 minutes loading data
(I can hear it) then it says something like Wrong System File.

Personally I would pick SCSI drives.  They are fast, dasychainable,
and from what I have gathered, cheaper.  I am thinking about getting
another 296N (80meg 28 ms scsi) for about $450.  Not too bad.

--
       Bill Tsai
University of Delaware CIS		ARPA:  bill@vax1.acs.udel.EDU