[comp.sys.ibm.pc] make your own HD 3 1/2 in floppies

phil@diablo.amd.com (07/11/89)

I just ran an experiment with double sided 3 1/2 in floppies.  On one,
I melted a hole in the corner with a soldering iron.  On another, I
cut the entire corner off and then resealed it with a soldering iron.

I then tried formatting as 1.44 Mb floppies -- it worked!

This information is offered as is, with no warranty of merchantability
or fitness for any particular use nor any other warranty, express or
implied, as to the accuracy of the enclosed materials or suitability
for any particular purpose.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"The government is not your mother."

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (07/11/89)

Another method that was posted in a PC mag is to defeat the microswitch
inside the drive that detects the floppy casing type.  This way you
don't have to punch a lot of floppies.

Info offered as is. Not responsible for consequences.

ching@pepsi.amd.com (Mike Ching) (07/11/89)

In article <26260@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.amd.com () writes:

>I just ran an experiment with double sided 3 1/2 in floppies.  On one,
>I melted a hole in the corner with a soldering iron.  On another, I
>cut the entire corner off and then resealed it with a soldering iron.
>
>I then tried formatting as 1.44 Mb floppies -- it worked!

Anyone know how the 1.44Mb floppies achieve the density? More tracks?
More sectors/track? *Should* this work? You can't use 360K 5 1/4"
floppies at 1.2M because the coercivity of the coating is different but
you can make them 720K by doubling the number of tracks.

So how do 1.44M floppies differ from 720K ones besides the hole?

mike ching

genemans@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jan Genemans) (07/11/89)

In article <26262@amdcad.AMD.COM> ching@pepsi.AMD.COM (Mike Ching) writes:
>In article <26260@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.amd.com writes:
>>
>>I just ran an experiment with double sided 3 1/2 in floppies.  On one,
>>I melted a hole in the corner with a soldering iron.  On another, I
>>cut the entire corner off and then resealed it with a soldering iron.
>>
>>I then tried formatting as 1.44 Mb floppies -- it worked!
>>
>Anyone know how the 1.44Mb floppies achieve the density? More tracks?
>More sectors/track? *Should* this work? You can't use 360K 5 1/4"
>floppies at 1.2M because the coercivity of the coating is different but
>you can make them 720K by doubling the number of tracks.

If anyone is going to try this, they should be forwarned.  I have used ~500
disks in the 720k format with only 2 failures.  However, when I converted the
disks into 1.44M with soldering a hole in them roughly one out of five disks
had a failure, thus a ~5000% increase in disk failures.  If you insist on
modifying the disks to a higher density than rated make sure that you backup
*everything* or you might loose valuable data.  As for the 5.25" DS/DD format-
ted as 1.2M DS/HD I had a failure rate of 50% or 5 out of 10 disk attempts.
Other people might have different results, however, I strongly advise that
this should not be done because of the headache of loosing data, even if it
backed up.

I suspect that the "coercivity of the coating" is different for the 1.44M as
well as the 1.2M in comparison to the lower density disks.
 / Jan Genemans      |   USENET:  Jan.Genemans@Dartmouth.edu             \
/  Engineering Dept  |   UUCP: ...!dartvax!mac.dartmouth.edu!Jan.Genemans \
\  U.S.M.M.A.        +---------+------------------------------------------/
 \ Kings Point, NY  11024      |      "Live long and prosper"  -Spock    /

russ@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Russell Johnston) (07/11/89)

I saw an ad in PC WORLD (June 1989, page 16) from Biological Engineering, Inc
for a product called DoubleDisk Converter they claim will allow formatting
a 'low density' 3.5" diskette to 1.44MB.  They have a money back guarantee,
and offer to replace any diskette that does not format with a name brand
high density diskette.  Has anyone tried this product, or know what their
technique is?  The price is $39.95 + 3.50 shipping (2.40 CA tax), 800/537-4226.

kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu (Kent Phelps) (07/12/89)

In article <26260@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.amd.com () writes:

>I just ran an experiment with double sided 3 1/2 in floppies.  On one,
>I melted a hole in the corner with a soldering iron.  On another, I
>cut the entire corner off and then resealed it with a soldering iron.
>
>I then tried formatting as 1.44 Mb floppies -- it worked!
>
>This information is offered as is, with no warranty of merchantability
>or fitness for any particular use nor any other warranty, express or
>implied, as to the accuracy of the enclosed materials or suitability
>for any particular purpose.
>
>--
>Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
>"The government is not your mother."

Ahhh- here we go again with this subject.  I DO NOT suggest using this
procedure.  I have seen disks formatted in this manner lose data just
sitting on the shelf.  I know there are MANY, MANY so-called experts
that will swear that this procedure is fine and safe.

I repeat- IT IS NOT.  I have seen it fail over and over.  Use at your
own risk ( or your data's)

--
     Kent Phelps        | Internet:  kent@sun.ufnet.ufl.edu
 University of Florida  | UUCP:  ... ????

wnp@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/12/89)

In article <26262@amdcad.AMD.COM> ching@pepsi.AMD.COM (Mike Ching) writes:
>Anyone know how the 1.44Mb floppies achieve the density? More tracks?
>More sectors/track? *Should* this work? You can't use 360K 5 1/4"
>floppies at 1.2M because the coercivity of the coating is different but
>you can make them 720K by doubling the number of tracks.
>
>So how do 1.44M floppies differ from 720K ones besides the hole?

I don't know the difference in magnetic property of the medium, but as
far as formatting under DOS and other PC operating systems (UNIX, XENIX) is
concerned, 1.44M floppies are formatted with 80 tracks of 18 sectors each.

In fact, to be complete, here is a list of track/sector configurations for
most common PC disk formats:

Capacity  Tracks  Sec/Track

  320K      40      8
  360K      40      9
  400K      40     10         Notes 1, 2
  720K      80      9         Note 3
  800K      80     10         Note 2
  1.2M      80     15
  1.44M     80     18

Notes:

  1. This is the AT&T UNIX PC native format;

  2. There are a couple pd format programs which format double-density
     diskettes to 400K (XT-style drives) or 800K (AT-style or older
     96TPI drives), also 3.5" 720k drives);

  3. Both 5.25" and 3.5" drives use the same format;

Hope this information is helpful.
UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (07/12/89)

	I was already to be faced with this dilemma when I discovered that
the Mitsubishi drives that come in my Wells American CompuStar do not
seem to check.  They will take an MF-2 DS/2D and format it for 80 tracks
(1.44M) -- No questions asked. They do however, seem to place the wrong
number of bytes on the disk (1467496, I think VS 1461248, about 6K extra)
unless you specify T:80, but they do this even on the correct HD medium.
I have been told that this is not the drive's fault, but rather the way
PC-DOS format mishandles external 3.5" drives. Anyway, the former saves
big bucks, while the latter just costs a few extra letters on the command line.
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (07/14/89)

In article <8020020@hp-lsd.HP.COM> russ@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Russell Johnston) writes:
|I saw an ad in PC WORLD (June 1989, page 16) from Biological Engineering, Inc
|for a product called DoubleDisk Converter they claim will allow formatting
|a 'low density' 3.5" diskette to 1.44MB.  They have a money back guarantee,
|and offer to replace any diskette that does not format with a name brand
|high density diskette.  Has anyone tried this product, or know what their
|technique is?  The price is $39.95 + 3.50 shipping (2.40 CA tax), 800/537-4226.

I bet a nickel it punches a hole in the corner of the diskette cover.

--

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (07/14/89)

In article <8020020@hp-lsd.HP.COM> russ@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Russell Johnston) writes:
>I saw an ad in PC WORLD (June 1989, page 16) from Biological Engineering, Inc
>for a product called DoubleDisk Converter they claim will allow formatting
>and offer to replace any diskette that does not format with a name brand
>high density diskette.  Has anyone tried this product, or know what their
>technique is?  The price is $39.95 + 3.50 shipping (2.40 CA tax), 800/537-4226.

1.44 diskettes have an extra hole punched through the plastic case somewhere.
Many PCs (IBM and Compaq, for two) have convieniently omitted or disconnected
the sensor (In my T3100e it "works"). All the DoubleDisk Converter does is
punch that hole. The maker is not guarenteeing that the DD disk will format to
full 1.44 Meg capacity, only that it will format (which it most certianly will
do).

If you own an IBM or a Compaq don't bother with this thing. Personally I
wouldn't much trust a disk formatted this way anyway.
--
  Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
soley@moegate.UUCP  or if you roll your own:  uunet!attcan!ncrcan!moegate!soley

wnp@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/14/89)

In article <8020020@hp-lsd.HP.COM> russ@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Russell Johnston) writes:
>I saw an ad in PC WORLD (June 1989, page 16) from Biological Engineering, Inc
>for a product called DoubleDisk Converter they claim will allow formatting
>a 'low density' 3.5" diskette to 1.44MB.  They have a money back guarantee,
>and offer to replace any diskette that does not format with a name brand
>high density diskette.  Has anyone tried this product, or know what their
>technique is?  The price is $39.95 + 3.50 shipping (2.40 CA tax), 800/537-4226.

I have their DoubleDisk converter. It is simply a hole punch which holds your
3.5" disk in place so the hole gets put in the right place, opposite the
write-protect hole.

I have found that most of the 720K disks I purchased from MEI Micro work just
fine as 1.44M after punching the hole; the only problems I have seen is
the fact that some of the disks are encased in more brittle plastic than others.
Brittle plastic does not take too kindly to having holes punched in it; it
cracks. But the disks still work, although I would not leave them lying in the
spilt coffee for too long :-)

Alternative propositions I have seen suggest burning a round hole in the disk
with a soldering iron; that should work too, provided the hole is in the right
place. Also, on some 1.44M drives, it is possible to disable the sensor which
distinguishes between the two types of disks. Then you have to use driver.sys
or the equivalent to tell format how to format  the diskettes.

I would be very much interested in a discussion of the magnetic properties
of 360K, 1.2M, 720K and 1.44M diskettes, respectively. Apparently, the
surface difference between double and high density 3.5" diskettes is NOT
THE SAME as the difference between double and high density 5.25" disks.

UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".

hjg@amms4.UUCP (Harry Gross) (07/15/89)

In article <14333@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> genemans@mac.dartmouth.edu (Jan Genemans) writes:
	[stuff deleted regarding turning 760K's into 1.44M's]
>If anyone is going to try this, they should be forwarned.  I have used ~500
>disks in the 720k format with only 2 failures.  However, when I converted the
>disks into 1.44M with soldering a hole in them roughly one out of five disks
>had a failure, thus a ~5000% increase in disk failures.  If you insist on
>modifying the disks to a higher density than rated make sure that you backup
>*everything* or you might loose valuable data.  As for the 5.25" DS/DD format-
>ted as 1.2M DS/HD I had a failure rate of 50% or 5 out of 10 disk attempts.
>Other people might have different results, however, I strongly advise that
>this should not be done because of the headache of loosing data, even if it
>backed up.
>
>I suspect that the "coercivity of the coating" is different for the 1.44M as
>well as the 1.2M in comparison to the lower density disks.

I posted something on this a few minutes ago.  As far as I have been able to
determine, the only difference between the two diskettes it the use of the
flip side for data storage.  In all probability, the second side is perfectly
fine to use.  HOWEVER, there are no guarantees that the coating is 'computer
grade' on the flip side of a 720K diskette.  Most of the time, though, it works.

This 'trick' used to be used on CP/M (remember that? :-) systems to get double
sided diskettes out of single sided ones.  Sometimes, the second side didn't
have a coating at all.

Also, just as someone came out with a tool for notching a 5 1/4" floppy so that
you could flip it over and use the other side (like in an Apple, for example,
which ONLY has single sided drives), i have seen a tool advertised in
PC-MAGAZINE for punching out the necessary hole.  Using a soldering iron is
risky, as the excessive heat could damage the disk itself.  Also, just punching
a hole could leave little bits of plastic floating around.  The tool perportedly
avoids those problems.

Cheers

--
		Harry Gross				 |  reserved for
							 |  something really
Internet: hjg@amms4.UUCP   (we're working on registering)|  clever - any
UUCP: {jyacc, rna, bklyncis}!amms4!hjg			 |  suggestions?

wnp@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/16/89)

In article <563@amms4.UUCP> hjg@amms4.UUCP (Harry Gross) writes:

	(regarding the difference between 720K and 1.44M 3.5" disks)

>I posted something on this a few minutes ago.  As far as I have been able to
>determine, the only difference between the two diskettes it the use of the
>flip side for data storage.  In all probability, the second side is perfectly
>fine to use.  HOWEVER, there are no guarantees that the coating is 'computer
>grade' on the flip side of a 720K disk.  Most of the time, though, it works.

I am afraid your information is wrong. Both 720K and 1.44M 3.5" diskettes
used on PCs and 800K diskettes used on MACs are DOUBLESIDED disks. The only
SINGLESIDED 3.5" format I am aware of is the older MAC 400K format (prior to
the MAC Plus).

The difference between 720K and 1.44M disks is not the number of sides used,
but the number of 512-byte sectors written per track. 720K disks have 9
sectors per track, while 1.44M disks have 18 sectors per track.

The question with regard to the 3.5" disk notchers is, what is responsible
for the higher data density: just the design of the drives, or is the
magnetic coating of the 1.4M disks different? All I have seen and heard
on that subject so far are "guesses" -- nobody with facts.

chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (07/16/89)

In article <8663@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US> wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
>The question with regard to the 3.5" disk notchers is, what is responsible
>for the higher data density: just the design of the drives, or is the
>magnetic coating of the 1.4M disks different? All I have seen and heard
>on that subject so far are "guesses" -- nobody with facts.

There was an article here from Timothy Lange (35168 on 6/19/89) on all the
different diskettes.  Double density uses iron oxide, and high density uses
chromium oxide.  Magnetic coercivities are different.

nts0302@dsacg3.UUCP (Bob Fisher) (07/17/89)

From article <563@amms4.UUCP>, by hjg@amms4.UUCP (Harry Gross):
-> In article <14333@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> genemans@mac.dartmouth.edu (Jan Genemans) writes:
->
-> just as someone came out with a tool for notching a 5 1/4" floppy so that
-> you could flip it over and use the other side (like in an Apple, for example,
-> which ONLY has single sided drives), i have seen a tool advertised in
-> PC-MAGAZINE for punching out the necessary hole.  Using a soldering iron is
-> risky, as the excessive heat could damage the disk itself. Also,just punching
-> a hole could leave little bits of plastic floating around.  The tool perportedly
-> avoids those problems.

I used a plain round hole paper punch on an old Apple ][+.  Worked great,
caught its own chips and didn't warp from the heat.

--
Bob Fisher (osu-cis!dsacg1!bfisher) 614-238-9071 (Autovon 850-9071)
From the Internet: bfisher%dsacg1.uucp@daitc.arpa

gwang@berlioz (George Wang) (07/18/89)

In article <8649@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US> wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
>I would be very much interested in a discussion of the magnetic properties
>of 360K, 1.2M, 720K and 1.44M diskettes, respectively. Apparently, the
>surface difference between double and high density 3.5" diskettes is NOT
>THE SAME as the difference between double and high density 5.25" disks.

Correction! There *IS* a difference in the magnetic media of
3.5 High Density and Low Density diskettes... If you examine the
medias of NAME BRAND diskettes you will notice a visible difference
in the media of low and high density 3.5 diskettes... Furthermore,
high density drives write in a lower signal level than low
densities...

Perhaps bulk-quality disk companies who claim that there diskettes
are high density certified are using the same "hole punch" trick...
But Name brand diskette companies such as 3M produce diskettes
that do *NOT* have the same media surfaces... The same difference
exists in 5.25 diskettes...

George
Gwang@berlioz.nsc.com

gwang@berlioz (George Wang) (07/18/89)

In article <563@amms4.UUCP> hjg@amms4.UUCP (Harry Gross) writes:

>I posted something on this a few minutes ago.  As far as I have been able to
>determine, the only difference between the two diskettes it the use of the
>flip side for data storage.  In all probability, the second side is perfectly
>fine to use.  HOWEVER, there are no guarantees that the coating is 'computer
>grade' on the flip side of a 720K diskette.  Most of the time, though, it works.

I think your understanding of the "flip" side concept arises from it's
use in computers such as the APPLE II and NOT in IBM PC's....

The IBM PC *AUTOMATICALLY* uses both sides of a diskette... So the
double capacity difference between the 720K and 1.44 Meg diskette is
not the use of a "flip" side, nor the increase in the number of
tracks... The increase is achieved through the higher sector per track
density.... A 720K diskette has 9 sectors per track and a 1.44 meg
diskette has 18 sectors per track...

The talk of a "flip" side is out of date... These days everyone
produces diskettes that have both sides coated with magnetic
media.... Single sided 5.25 diskettes are not sold as such these
days altough 3.5 single sided disks are (though they are being phased
out too....)

George
Gwang@berlioz.nsc.com

markw@airgun.UUCP (Mark Whetzel) (07/18/89)

Adding to the discussion about using 3.5" floppies for 1.44 meg use when
they are rated for '720K'.  The only floppies our company uses are these
disks.  In fact our supply room does not stock anything else (only by special
order can you get 1.44 meg disks).

Out of over 100 boxes of disks that I have personally used I have not run
across a single disk that did not format and operate properly.  As the
technical co-ordinator for my company, I have not received any complaints
about format or usage problems with this policy with the rest of the ps2's
that our company uses (approx 100 ps2's and growing).

However, I do recommend to my users that if they have a critical backup
that must be trouble free to use the 1.44meg floppies.  (CYA)

Luckly for us the IBM ps2's do not need the second hole to format the
entire disk.

--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,

wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/18/89)

In article <435@berlioz.nsc.com> gwang@berlioz.UUCP (George Wang) writes:
+In article <8649@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US> wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (W. Paul) writes:
+
+>of 360K, 1.2M, 720K and 1.44M diskettes, respectively. Apparently, the
+>surface difference between double and high density 3.5" diskettes is NOT
+>THE SAME as the difference between double and high density 5.25" disks.
+>
+Correction! There *IS* a difference in the magnetic media of
+3.5 High Density and Low Density diskettes... If you examine the
+medias of NAME BRAND diskettes you will notice a visible difference
+in the media of low and high density 3.5 diskettes... Furthermore,
+high density drives write in a lower signal level than low
+densities...
+
+are high density certified are using the same "hole punch" trick...
+But Name brand diskette companies such as 3M produce diskettes
+that do *NOT* have the same media surfaces... The same difference
+exists in 5.25 diskettes...
+

Notice that I didn't say that there is NO difference between DD and HD 3.5"
disks, but rather that it doesn't seem to be the same difference as between
DD and HD 5.25" disks.

If you dispute that, back it up with specific coercivity values, and tell me
why I can use my hole punch on a DD 3.5" disk, and then format it to
1.44MB with NO BAD SECTORS, while I am UNABLE to format a DD 5.25" disk
to 1.2MB. And I tried this on many different drives -- so don't tell me
its my 5.25" drive. It's the media allright.

And visual differences are pretty irrelevant -- they can be intentional,
to mislead the user into thinking there is a difference. Its like diesel fuel
in Europe -- non-taxed fuel for agricultural use is dyed differently from
taxed fuel for road use, and the same diesel fuel for heating purposes is
colored still differently. The only difference is the dye, and the price to
the enduser.
UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (07/19/89)

I've seen that advert in the back of Byte too, where they take a
whole page to descirbe a mysteious tool to convert single density
3-1/2 inch diskettes into high density.  I'd imagine that the
so-called tool is nothing more than a glorified hole punch to put
in the keying notch for density sensing.

Both 720K and HD diskettes have 80 tracks, double sided.  The
difference is that the HD diskettes have 18 sectors per track,
while the 720K diskettes are 9 sector.

I could see possibly using the notching tool to convert over
diskettes for storing things like the operating copy of one's word
processor, but I feel that it would be folly to trust the disks
for storage of original data or 1st generation back-ups.  Trusting
a questionable disk to a back-up is escpecially silly.  I know what
it feels like to blow away an article that I am working on, then
say "no sweat, I've got a back-up copy" only to find that the
back-up is bad.  For back-ups, I use good media and verify writes
carefully before I put my back-ups away.

I knew a guy that used to do the soldering iron trick to make HD
disks, he had problems that the buggered disks wold work for a
while then start to get soft and eventually hard errors.

I get the 'luxury' on my PS/2-80 of having it mistakenly format
everything as HD, ignoring the density.  To properly format 720K
disks, I have to remember to specify "FORMAT /N:9 A:", where N: is
an option switch to specify 9 sectors.  I'd be curious on hearing
from people that have clone machines, if you can force a format to
HD by typing "FORMAT /N:18". :-)  By the way, I'm using genuine IBM
DOS 3.3 on that machine.

Bill

jcw@jwren.UUCP (John C. Wren) (07/23/89)

In article <1686@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>  [ Stuff deleted ]
>
>I get the 'luxury' on my PS/2-80 of having it mistakenly format
>everything as HD, ignoring the density.  To properly format 720K
>disks, I have to remember to specify "FORMAT /N:9 A:", where N: is
>an option switch to specify 9 sectors.  I'd be curious on hearing
>from people that have clone machines, if you can force a format to
>HD by typing "FORMAT /N:18". :-)  By the way, I'm using genuine IBM
>DOS 3.3 on that machine.

   Ain't DOS's fault.  Those miserable co-ops at IBM who design their
machines apparently didn't read the instruction manual for the 3.5"
drive, and total hosed-up the density sense line.  I ordered a SYSGEN
3.5" external drive, set it up, shoved a diskette in, and formatted it.
Lo and behold my 720K diskette now had 1.44mb on it, plus a lot of
errors.  I called to tell them I like to product, but why do the ignore
the sense line?  They said "we had to do it because IBM did it".  I can
understand their thinking.  After all, when you come to expect certain
behavior from a device, you have to replicate it.

						- John C. Wren
						  jcw@jwren