[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Generic Hard Disk for Compaq 386

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) (06/14/89)

Can you please send me list of non-Compaq hard disk that works with
my Compaq 386/16?  Currently I have 130 megB but this has some problem
so would like to buy couple of 30 megB generic hard drive. I am
wondering if MiniScribe or Seagate works with Compaq.

Compaq historically does not support 3rd party hardware so it is
difficult for me to check rom for correct setup.

Thanks in Advance.

Willy

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (06/15/89)

In article <8906131957.AA22435@decwrl.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
<
<Can you please send me list of non-Compaq hard disk that works with
<my Compaq 386/16?  Currently I have 130 megB but this has some problem
<so would like to buy couple of 30 megB generic hard drive. I am
<wondering if MiniScribe or Seagate works with Compaq.
<
<Compaq historically does not support 3rd party hardware so it is
<difficult for me to check rom for correct setup.

I don't have a list, but that is kind-of unimportant.  But, if you want to
use a standard old ST-506 interface hard drive, you will also have to get
a new hard disk controller, since the current controller will NOT work with
ST-506 type drives.  The Compaq 386/16 that I used to use at Nicolet was
set up with a ST-506 70Mb hard drive.  The internal hard disk controller
card was turned off and a different controller installed.

When you get the drive and controller, be sure to ask what the Compaq BIOS
configuration number is.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

jack@focsys.UUCP (Jack Houde) (06/20/89)

In article <8906131957.AA22435@decwrl.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

>Can you please send me list of non-Compaq hard disk that works with
>my Compaq 386/16?  Currently I have 130 megB but this has some problem
>so would like to buy couple of 30 megB generic hard drive. I am
>wondering if MiniScribe or Seagate works with Compaq.
>
>Compaq historically does not support 3rd party hardware so it is
>difficult for me to check rom for correct setup.
>
>Thanks in Advance.
>
>Willy

From having read numerous articles on the net vis-a-vis this
question it would seem that Compaq has some tight grip on
their disk interface.

For what it's worth, Compaq is tight with Conner Peripheral
in San Jose Cal. They ship something like 40% of their
production to Compaq.

This might be a good place to start looking for substitutes.

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (07/23/89)

In article <8906131957.AA22435@decwrl.dec.com> paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
<Can you please send me list of non-Compaq hard disk that works with
<my Compaq 386/16?  Currently I have 130 megB but this has some problem
<so would like to buy couple of 30 megB generic hard drive. I am
<wondering if MiniScribe or Seagate works with Compaq.
<
<Compaq historically does not support 3rd party hardware so it is
<difficult for me to check rom for correct setup.

Newer Compaq ROMs have a different drive type table. So it makes a difference
which ROM release you have.

Our solution has been to flip the DIP switch to disable the HD controller
and use a third party controller. I'm not sure about the 386 HDs, but the
Deskpro 286 HD controller has a very nonstandard cable. It *can't* be
used with non-Compaq drives!

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]