[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 Wont boot

mg@notecnirp.Princeton.EDU (Michael Golan) (07/17/89)

I have a 386/20 system with AMI Bios and Chips & Tech. chip set (xx206 and
xx301 to xx306) with 1M of SIMM (4x256Kx9) on board.

Yesterday, the machine froze. When I tried to reset it, It started with the
usual 1st beep, then a series of 8 beeps, and then it went into a loop
of 5 beep - wait. There is nothing on the screen.

I have tried to reset the CMOS ram which keeps internal registers info for the
C&T chip set, but this didn't help (Previously The same symptoms occured when
I played with the setup program and put illegal values in these registers. In
those cases a reset of the CMOS made the trick). I have also tried to take out
all the cards on the bus. I am pretty sure the 386 itself works since the
beeps timing changes with the "turbo" speed switch.

I would appriciate any information. One of the C&T chips is probably checked
very early in the boot stage, and it failed. But which one? Or can this be
a memory problem?

Thanks
  Michael Golan
  mg@princeton.edu

William.Cummins@bigtime.fidonet.org (William Cummins) (07/21/89)

try pressing the INSERT key when booting the machine this will reset
the cosmos  ram on most machines with the neat chip set it returns it
to the defalts  be vary carefull seting the pramiters in that setup
screen or you will be right back in the same spot agin
William cummins
--
William Cummins
Domain: William.Cummins@bigtime.fidonet.org

barton@holston.UUCP (barton) (07/23/89)

In article <554.24C675B0@bigtime.fidonet.org>, William.Cummins@bigtime.fidonet.org (William Cummins) writes:
> try pressing the INSERT key when booting the machine this will reset
> the cosmos  ram on most machines with the neat chip set it returns it

I have heard about this cosmos ram, it neutrilizes stray cosmic rays
before they have a chance to penitrate the rfsphere :-)
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell,vector}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP