[comp.sys.ibm.pc] st01/2 with other controllers

as2d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alan Henry Stein) (07/19/89)

I am planning on installing a seagate 157n (48meg scsi) drive in my machine.
I also want to put in my old seagate 238  (30 meg MFM) and 3 floppies.

The STo2 will support two of the floppies.  Now I need a controller to handle
the other hard drive and one more floppy.  Will the seagate scsi controllers
happily coexist with the other controller??  DO I have to use one of the
controllers designed to coexist with other (read as RLL/MFM) controllers??

Thanks,
alan

jbh@trsvax.UUCP (07/20/89)

alan,
I have a CompuAdd 12 Mhz 286 clone, with a Seagate ST251-1 and a Seagate
ST296N. The 251-1 was connected to a Western Digital cntrlr (model number
unknown), the 296N was connected to a ST01 host adapter. Disk Manager
software, provided with both disks, handled everything just fine. I had two
floppies connected to the WD cntrlr.
Whether both the WD cntrlr and the ST02 host adapter can be used to control
floppies at the same time, I do not know.
BTW, when the 296N was formatted, Disk manager split the partitions up
between the two drives. C: and E: were on the 251-1, while D:, F:, and G:
were on the 296N. But everything worked just fine.
Hope this helps.
Brad

William.Cummins@bigtime.fidonet.org (William Cummins) (07/22/89)

The Seagate scsi controler dosen't seem to like to be in a machine with
other hd controlers at least the  WD3 that I had in it wouldn't work I
would get the person selling you the stuff to warent that it will work
before you lay down the $$$$       WAC
--
William Cummins
Domain: William.Cummins@bigtime.fidonet.org

john@foil.UUCP (John Cavanaugh) (07/22/89)

In an article of <18 Jul 89 17:48:25 GMT>, as2d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alan Henry Stein) writes:

>I am planning on installing a seagate 157n (48meg scsi) drive in my machine.
>I also want to put in my old seagate 238  (30 meg MFM) and 3 floppies.
>
>The STo2 will support two of the floppies.  Now I need a controller to handle >the other hard drive and one more floppy.  Will the seagate scsi controllers >happily coexist with the other controller??  DO I have to use one of the
>controllers designed to coexist with other (read as RLL/MFM) controllers??

I just installed a ST02+ST296N combination in my machine where I already have
a Western Digital controler + ST251 and have had no problems with anything.
I have the 251 partitioned up into 32 and 9Mb partitions as C and D while the
296 is divided up into 32/32/17 as E, F and G.

I only have 1 diskette drive [1.2Mb] that runs off of the WD controler but
I don't see why the SCSI controler should have any problems with the other
diskette drives....But then again....I could be wrong.

Anyone else out there had experience with this?

>Thanks,
>alan

No problem.

--
John Cavanaugh - via GT<->Usenet Test System - Portland, Oregon
UUCP: ...!tektronix!tessi!agora!foil!john  --  GT Net/Node: 056/002

greg@dekalb.UUCP (Greg Philmon) (07/24/89)

In article <560.24C7CA4E@bigtime.fidonet.org> William.Cummins@bigtime.fidonet.org (William Cummins) writes:
>The Seagate scsi controler dosen't seem to like to be in a machine with
>other hd controlers at least the  WD3 that I had in it wouldn't work I
>would get the person selling you the stuff to warent that it will work
>before you lay down the $$$$       WAC

	I have a 296N w/ the st01 SCSI controller, as well as a WD AT hard/
	floppy controller running an ST-225.

	It DID take some a while to figure out how to make it work, though.

	Note that this is on an AT, it might not work w/ an XT.  Send mail
	if you're interested in the details.

    | Greg Philmon  ...gatech!dekalb!greg   CIS: 72261,1724 |