[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Pctools dir tree problem

wirun@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Da Ratt ) (07/20/89)

Hi all,

	Has any anyone noticed that will Pctools V5.1 (more specifically:
Pcshell), that if you MKDIR or RMDIR using DOS Pcshell will not display
the change in directory structure? This kind of threw me for a loop for
a while. The problem seemed to be in a file called PCSHELL.TRE that
is created in the \PCTOOLS directory (made on installation). When you
delete this file, all your changes to the dir structure are rebuilt
in to a new pcshell.tre when you invoke Pcshell again.

	I've tried to get a hold of Central Point Software about this
for the last 2 weeks, but the support line is always busy.

.. seems kind of silly that Pctools is forcing you to do all changes
to the directory structure from with the product itself!

"This of course is impossible ..." - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
   wirun@ucalgary.ca   wirun@uncaedu.BITNET cwirun@uncanet.BITNET

chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (07/22/89)

In article <1632@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> wirun@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Da Ratt ) writes:
>	Has any anyone noticed that will Pctools V5.1 (more specifically:
>Pcshell), that if you MKDIR or RMDIR using DOS Pcshell will not display
>the change in directory structure? This kind of threw me for a loop for
>a while. The problem seemed to be in a file called PCSHELL.TRE that
>is created in the \PCTOOLS directory (made on installation). When you
>delete this file, all your changes to the dir structure are rebuilt
>in to a new pcshell.tre when you invoke Pcshell again.

I think that if you use CTRL-DriveName, then it rebuilds the directory tree.  I
also ran into this problem when I couldn't find a sub-directory that I just
made.

goldstin@shire (Jonathan Goldstine) (07/22/89)

In article <15700@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Chia-Chi Chao) writes:
>In article <1632@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> wirun@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Da Ratt ) writes:
>>	Has any anyone noticed that will Pctools V5.1 (more specifically:
>>Pcshell), that if you MKDIR or RMDIR using DOS Pcshell will not display
>>the change in directory structure? This kind of threw me for a loop for
>>a while. The problem seemed to be in a file called PCSHELL.TRE that
>>is created in the \PCTOOLS directory (made on installation). When you
>>delete this file, all your changes to the dir structure are rebuilt
>>in to a new pcshell.tre when you invoke Pcshell again.
>
>I think that if you use CTRL-DriveName, then it rebuilds the directory tree.  I
>also ran into this problem when I couldn't find a sub-directory that I just
>made.

This is not a problem, it is a feature.  It is common for shells to save time
by restoring the previous copy of the directory tree on entry rather than
rebuild it.  Of course, if you have made changes while outside the shell,
it will not know about them, so you must ask explicitly to have the tree
rebuilt.  This is explained on p. 25 of the PC Tools Utilities manual
("when all else fails, read the instructions") under the heading
"Important".

a523@mindlink.UUCP (Frank Murray) (07/22/89)

I have found that in order for PCTOOLS PCShell to recognize a MKDIR or RMDIR
issued from DOS, I must re-read the disk, then use the SAVE SETUP command.  The
reason that PCShell does not read the disk directory automatically each time is
the amount of time that would be consumed.

Frank Murray,  Mindlink[523]

trr@rayssd.ray.com (Terry R. Raymond) (07/25/89)

In article <1632@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP>, wirun@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Da Ratt ) writes:

> Hi all,
>
> 	Has any anyone noticed that will Pctools V5.1 (more specifically:
> Pcshell), that if you MKDIR or RMDIR using DOS Pcshell will not display
> the change in directory structure? This kind of threw me for a loop for
> a while. The problem seemed to be in a file called PCSHELL.TRE that
> is created in the \PCTOOLS directory (made on installation). When you
> delete this file, all your changes to the dir structure are rebuilt
> in to a new pcshell.tre when you invoke Pcshell again.
>
> .. seems kind of silly that Pctools is forcing you to do all changes
> to the directory structure from with the product itself!

I am  writing this from memory, but I recall a discussion in the pctools
documentation about PCSHELL.TRE.  The tree file speeds up entry into
the shell.  If you want the tree updated, select the drive identifier again.
I suggest that you read the documentation, possibly the addendum on 5.1 or
the readme file.
--
Terry Raymond
Raytheon Submarine Signal Division; Portsmouth RI; (401)-847-8000 x5597