[comp.sys.ibm.pc] BIOS Shadowing / Memory usage???

jimb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Jim Burke) (07/15/89)

I recently bought a PC with AMI bios that supports bios memory shadowing.
The system was sold as a 1 Mb system.  When I boot, the machine goes
through a memory check of 1Mb.  However, when I use Norton SI, it can
only find 640Kb of memory.  I contacted the company I bought the system
from and they said the other 384Kb is used by the system for system stuff
like bios shadowing, etc.  My question is this: is this a reasonable
explaination?  Does bios shadowing actually capture main memory and make
it transparent to DOS?  What other system features use main memory this
way?  Seems to me that I didn't get a 1Mb machine, but rather a 640Kb
machine.

--
Jim Burke        (408) 734-9822 (temp)  | I'll stop posting when they pry my
jimb@Atherton.COM                       | cold, dead fingers from the smoking

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (07/16/89)

>I recently bought a PC with AMI bios that supports bios memory shadowing.
>The system was sold as a 1 Mb system.  When I boot, the machine goes
>through a memory check of 1Mb.  However, when I use Norton SI, it can
>only find 640Kb of memory.  I contacted the company I bought the system
>from and they said the other 384Kb is used by the system for system stuff
>like bios shadowing, etc.  My question is this: is this a reasonable
>explaination?  Does bios shadowing actually capture main memory and make
>it transparent to DOS?  What other system features use main memory this
>way?  Seems to me that I didn't get a 1Mb machine, but rather a 640Kb
>machine.

I got bit by the same syndrome, on a Dell 310. Yes, you really got
only a 640K machine, and yes, they should not advertise them
as 1 meg systems. Nor the 4meg-384K systems as 4 meg systems.
If they advertise them as 4 meg systems, and I have a program that
REQUIRES 4 whole megs (as I do), they are in trouble.

Doug McDonald

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (07/17/89)

In article <6541@athertn.Atherton.COM>, jimb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Jim Burke) writes:
> only find 640Kb of memory.  I contacted the company I bought the system
> from and they said the other 384Kb is used by the system for system stuff
> like bios shadowing, etc.  My question is this: is this a reasonable
> explaination?  Does bios shadowing actually capture main memory and make
> it transparent to DOS?  What other system features use main memory this
> way?  Seems to me that I didn't get a 1Mb machine, but rather a 640Kb
> machine.

My computer is a 16 MHz 286 using the NEAT chipset and the AMI BIOS.
It will let the 384kb either be configured as extended memory or be
used for ROM shadowing. It won't let it be configured as expanded
memory though, which is what I have the other 3 megs configured as.
--
Joel Upchurch/Concurrent Computer Corp/2486 Sand Lake Rd/Orlando, FL 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd,ucf-cs}!peora!joel

jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (07/18/89)

| |Somebody writes:
| |
| |I recently bought a PC with AMI bios that supports bios memory shadowing.
| |The system was sold as a 1 Mb system.  When I boot, the machine goes
| |through a memory check of 1Mb.  However, when I use Norton SI, it can
| |only find 640Kb of memory.  I contacted the company I bought the system
| |from and they said the other 384Kb is used by the system for system stuff
| |like bios shadowing, etc.  My question is this: is this a reasonable
| |explaination?  Does bios shadowing actually capture main memory and make
| |it transparent to DOS?  What other system features use main memory this
| |way?  Seems to me that I didn't get a 1Mb machine, but rather a 640Kb
| |machine.
|
| Doug McDonald writes:
|
| I got bit by the same syndrome, on a Dell 310. Yes, you really got
| only a 640K machine, and yes, they should not advertise them
| as 1 meg systems. Nor the 4meg-384K systems as 4 meg systems.
| If they advertise them as 4 meg systems, and I have a program that
| REQUIRES 4 whole megs (as I do), they are in trouble.

On my DELL (220) you can shut off the shadowing of BIOS and use the
other 384KB as extended memory. RTFM on your setup program and see
if you can do it too.

On the AMI bias, you're probably out of luck.

Jim Winer ..!lzfme!jwi (Usually unable to reply to email outside AT&T)

Those persons who advocate censorship offend my religion.

Upuaut:	a wolf-headed Egyptian deity | Voodoo: the art of sticking ideas
	assigned as Guidance System  |         into people and watching
	for the Barque of Ra.        |         them bleed.

The opinions expressed here are not necessarily

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (07/19/89)

>On my DELL (220) you can shut off the shadowing of BIOS and use the
>other 384KB as extended memory. RTFM on your setup program and see
>if you can do it too.

The documentation is completely silent on this. There is no real
FM on the setup program. But Dell tech support, which appears to be
quite knowledgeable, says you can't. You CAN turn off the shawdow
RAM, for sure - it is right there in the setup options list, and
if you do it runs slower. But apparently you can't use the freed
384 K. At least nobody has told me how.

Doug McDonald

jbh@trsvax.UUCP (07/19/89)

To Doug McDonald,
I also have a Dell 310. I believe you can switch off ROM shadowing in
setup. I am not sure what the problem is. I LOVE my 310, and would
recommend it to anyone.
Brad

jimb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Jim Burke) (07/20/89)

In article <1491@lzfme.att.com> jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) writes:

>On my DELL (220) you can shut off the shadowing of BIOS and use the
>other 384KB as extended memory. RTFM on your setup program and see
>if you can do it too.

>On the AMI bias, you're probably out of luck.

Yep, I've verified that I am s**t out of luck with the AMI bios.  Even
if I disable shadowing, which I can, I still can't get back the 384k for
extended memory or vdisk or whatever.  It's just gone.  But, I do have
1Mb of memory chips so technically, I have to admit it is a 1Mb machine.
I was not thorough enough to ask whether I could actually USE 1Mb before
I bought the machine - silly me, what a ridiculous assumption.
(not that it's that big a deal)  The dealer did offer to sell me a 1Mb
upgrade at their cost which I have accepted.  Live and learn...

--
Jim Burke        (408) 734-9822 (temp)  | I'll stop posting when they pry my
jimb@Atherton.COM                       | cold, dead fingers from the smoking
{decwrl,sun,hpda,pyramid}!athertn!jimb  | keyboard.

stenstro@algol.crd.ge.com (Ross Stenstrom) (07/21/89)

So, what IS shadowing anyway.  Somebody must have come up with it for a
reason, you would think... ?
Ross Stenstrom
    stenstro@algol.crd.ge.com (no m!)       uunet!crdgw1.ge.com!stenstrom

William.Cummins@bigtime.fidonet.org (William Cummins) (07/21/89)

Is the board a NEAT 286 by chance the board also has a AMI Bios and the
board will say the same thing with the shado ram enabled the board dose
have the memory in it ( providing it sayes that the shado ram is
inabled when you boot the machine after it ticks off the 640 ) the
memory can be releaced from the shado ram use on the neat board by the
setup 2 but it will slow it down if the memory is used for some thing
ie shado ram or disk chaching above 640 the norton si can't seem to
find it!      William Cummins
--
William Cummins
Domain: William.Cummins@bigtime.fidonet.org

jms@vpnet.UUCP (Jon Schattke) (07/22/89)

>From: stenstro@algol.crd.ge.com [Ross Stenstrom]
>So, what IS shadowing anyway.  Somebody must have come up with it for a
>reason, you would think... ?
Shadowing refers to the process of copying the ROMs into DRAM at boot-up.
It effectively makes things from ROM run about 1.5-2 times faster (because
it's very difficult to get EPROMs below about 200ns access, while DRAM at
80ns isn't _too_ expensive).
Shadowing is especially important for 32bit systems (80386), because then
the system can have only an 8-bit wide ROM (and cost less).

Ain't ya glad you asked?
---
Jonathan Mark Schattke	                        There is _always_ one more bug.
jms@vpnet.UUCP	                If u cn rd ths, u 2 cn bcum a prgrmr & mk bg $.
      VPNET is a free-to-users public-access system in a Chicago Suburb.

kiy@pte.UUCP (Kevin Young) (07/25/89)

In article <1288@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> stenstro@algol.crd.ge.com (Ross Stenstrom) writes:
>So, what IS shadowing anyway...
>Ross Stenstrom
>    stenstro@algol.crd.ge.com (no m!)       uunet!crdgw1.ge.com!stenstrom

Ross,
Shadowing is a technique that increases the effective memory
access speed of software sitting in ROM/EPROM by moving it to
DRAM and then executing it there.  EPROM technology is inherently
slower than DRAM technology and typically requires 2 to 3 wait
states per access depending on system clock speed whereas DRAM
takes 0 to 1 wait states.  The shadow RAM itself sits at the same
memory location as the BIOS EPROM/ROM and is switched by hardware
on the CPU card.  The initialization procedure is to first copy
the contents of the EPROM to low memory, switch the select bit to
enable the shadow DRAM, and then move the copy in low memory back
into the shadow DRAM.  Finally, the write-enable to the shadow DRAM
is disabled, preventing errant programs from erasing its contents.

Shadowing is relatively easy to implement in a PC when using 1MB
memory chips because the memory needed for shadowing is already
available.  It is simply hidden behind the BIOS chips by the address
decoder.

Hope this helps!
Kevin

--
>|< Kevin I Young					uunet!edsews!pte!kiy
    Precise Technology & Electronics, Inc.
    Custom Automated Test and Measurement Equipment for Industry
    Old Saying: "If you can't do it in real time, then don't do it at all" - me