[comp.sys.ibm.pc] [NTSC to RGB] and the other way...

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (07/26/89)

In article <1391@esunix.UUCP> hcooper@esunix.UUCP (Harrison Cooper) writes:

>Is there anything available to convert NTSC (RS-170 composite video) to
>RGB?

...And I need just the opposite; anybody got ideas?
I have a CGA board with ONLY RGB output.  I want to use a B&W monitor
that takes composite in (and doesn't even need the color burst or
color signal, just brightness and sync).

Does anybody either know of an inexpensive commercial device to do this
or a simple circuit that works.  Short of that, does anybody know the
specs for the RGB interface?  I can design my own circuit.

If it's complex or expensive, I'll buy another CGA board, with
composite output; they do exist.

Thanks in advance.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Middletown, NJ		|
|    Logical -  ...att!mtunb!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 957 6583					|

gwang@berlioz (George Wang) (07/27/89)

In article <1570@mtunb.ATT.COM> dmt@mtunb.UUCP (Dave Tutelman) writes:
>...And I need just the opposite; anybody got ideas?
>I have a CGA board with ONLY RGB output.  I want to use a B&W monitor
>that takes composite in (and doesn't even need the color burst or
>color signal, just brightness and sync).
>
>Does anybody either know of an inexpensive commercial device to do this
>or a simple circuit that works.  Short of that, does anybody know the
>specs for the RGB interface?  I can design my own circuit.

When I brought my Hercules Color Graphics Adapter it came with
it's own 9-pin to RCA phone converter... It's just a small black
adapter... I don't think there's any circuitry in there....
Try asking Hercules if you can buy it alone from them...

Also there was a device called the MISSING LINK which converts
RBG signals for b&W composite monitor use... It converts the
RGB into 16 shades... Very nice product... They sold it
at Elek-Tek in Lincolnwoold, IL.. Elek-tek is a pretty big
computer store... Call toll-free directory assistance for
the number...

Hope this helps...
George
National Semiconductor