[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Compression Source needed

t-chrisk@microsoft.UUCP (Christopher Kinsmen) (07/26/89)

Looking for source to the packing algorithm employed on .ZIP and .ARC files.
Also for .SIT and .HQX files.  Thanks.

uw-beaver!microsoft!t-chrisk
Chris Kinsman

Please reply in Email as I can't keep up with the volume in this group. Thanks.

bowden@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Michael L. Bowden) (07/26/89)

In article <7081@microsoft.UUCP> t-chrisk@microsoft.UUCP (Christopher Kinsmen) writes:
>Looking for source to the packing algorithm employed on .ZIP and .ARC files.
>Also for .SIT and .HQX files.  Thanks.

I would also be interested in this.  I have something laying around for
Stuffit files, but I'm really more interested in Binhex at the moment.
What I've seen on Macintosh archives are sources (in just about every
language you can think of) whose only purpose is to write an executable
(launchable...excuse me) file that unBinhexes .HQX files.

What I'd like is something that can be run on a Vax (or PC, I'd be willing
to convert it for VMS) so that I can extract/examine documentation, and
decide whether the item is worth downloading.

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (07/26/89)

In article <803@gumby.cc.wmich.edu> bowden@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Michael L. Bowden) writes:
>In article <7081@microsoft.UUCP> t-chrisk@microsoft.UUCP (Christopher Kinsmen) writes:
>>Looking for source to the packing algorithm employed on .ZIP and .ARC files.
>>Also for .SIT and .HQX files.  Thanks.
>>

>I would also be interested in this.
>
>What I'd like is something that can be run on a Vax (or PC, I'd be willing
>to convert it for VMS) so that I can extract/examine documentation, and
>decide whether the item is worth downloading.

I'm rather confused by who wants what here. A reasonably full
implementation of arc (arc521) is available in source for **IX systems.
Source code for a zip (unloader) program is around as well (browse
simtel20 or uunet). Are you looking for something beyond these readily
available programs?

I will supply (given a proper request to the uucp address BELOW), arc521
which I know to work on SUN, Vaxen, AT-clones running common flavors of
**IX.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

(bitnet) ehkinmonth@ucdavis.edu
(uucp) ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck
(telnet or 916-752-7920) cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	request ucdked, login as guest,
	no password

ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (07/27/89)

From article <26662@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, by ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth):
> In article <803@gumby.cc.wmich.edu> bowden@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Michael L. Bowden) writes:
>>In article <7081@microsoft.UUCP> t-chrisk@microsoft.UUCP (Christopher Kinsmen) writes:
>>>Looking for source to the packing algorithm employed on .ZIP and .ARC files.
>>>Also for .SIT and .HQX files.  Thanks.
>>>

>>I would also be interested in this.
>>
>>What I'd like is something that can be run on a Vax (or PC, I'd be willing
>>to convert it for VMS) so that I can extract/examine documentation, and
>>decide whether the item is worth downloading.
>
> I'm rather confused by who wants what here. A reasonably full
> implementation of arc (arc521) is available in source for **IX systems.

I think they're looking to un-Stuff Mac files, but the problem is, most
Mac archive sites BinHex their files after Stuffing them (so that they are
7-bit, and can be transmitted across ASCII ftp connections).

I have unStuff source (try sumex-aim.stanford.edu or wsmr-simtel20.army.mil)
but unBinHex has eluded me also.  If anyone knows where it is, please post!

Also, warning:  Many Stuffit archives come with WORD/MACA (MacWrite) docs,
which are readable by all major Mac word processors, but not by a PC or
a VAX.  (At least, I have never seen a program to decode the suckers.)
Some, however, do come with standard TEXT documentation (from MacWrite or
PowerEdit).
---
	... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska    <ho@fergvax.unl.edu>