[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Telix 3.11 bug?

brent@sactoh0 (Brent K. Barrett) (07/25/89)

 I have a possible bug with Telix 3.11 here.  Let me explain as
well as I can:

 My BBS sends out a Ctrl-E, ASCII 4, ENQ to prompt for password and
name input.  People calling with Telix 3.11 who have NOTHING set
for their ENQ answerback string have problems, because Telix sends
4 characters (a '0', ASCII 48 being one of them) whenever it sees
an ENQ (even once inside the BBS, if they hit Ctrl-E inside message
entry, Telix sends the same 4 character string in response to the
echo from the BBS of the ENQ).

 It gets weirder.  I had a couple of these people try changing
their ENQ answerback string to something -- it *STILL* sent the 4
character garbage and did NOT send their ENQ answerback string.

 And, even weirder.  I use Telix 3.11 as well, and call other
boards that run the same software I use.  When the ENQ comes for
the password and name, my Telix copy doesn't send the 4 character
string (it never does to an ENQ -- it works as it should work).  I
would have assumed it was just a bad copy of Telix these people
were using, except for the fact that they downloaded it from my BBS
and it's the same copy I'm using.

 Has this (possible) bug been seen elsewhere?  Can others please
try to reproduce the (possible) bug?  If anyone knows what we're
all doing wrong, could they please speak up?  Thank you very much.

--
  ////////  Novucivitas: The Future of Citadel
 ///         US 916 726 4989   12/2400 bps

edlee@chinet.chi.il.us (Edward Lee) (07/25/89)

In article <1645@sactoh0> brent@sactoh0.UUCP (Brent K. Barrett) writes:

> I have a possible bug with Telix 3.11 here.  Let me explain as
>well as I can:
>
> My BBS sends out a Ctrl-E, ASCII 4, ENQ to prompt for password and
>name input.  People calling with Telix 3.11 who have NOTHING set
>for their ENQ answerback string have problems, because Telix sends
>4 characters (a '0', ASCII 48 being one of them) whenever it sees
>an ENQ (even once inside the BBS, if they hit Ctrl-E inside message
>entry, Telix sends the same 4 character string in response to the
>echo from the BBS of the ENQ).
[....]

> Has this (possible) bug been seen elsewhere?  Can others please
>try to reproduce the (possible) bug?  If anyone knows what we're
>an all doing wrong, could they please speak up?  Thank you very much.

I have often seen Telix v3.11 send a string containing ^P+^P0 while
connected to Chinet on a noisy line.  This is irritating when Emacs
or the Ksh command line interprets the ^P characters, moves the
cursor up two lines, and inserts a "+" and "0" in my text, such as now.
<editing unwanted text>  I suspect that Telix thinks it is running
a login script even when one is not specified in the dialing
directory, when the automatic dialer is used to call a system.

The differences in dialing directories may offer a possible
explanation to differences seen by you and your callers.  To see if
the problem starts after a call from the dialing directory or
quick dialing bar, I suggest that you ask your friends to try calling
your system and other systems without the automatic dialer, immediately
after booting Telix, and to also try dialing a phone entry in the
dialing directory that has a named login script to see if the problem
goes away.

-Ed L

ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Michael Ho) (07/26/89)

From article <1645@sactoh0>, by brent@sactoh0 (Brent K. Barrett):
>  My BBS sends out a Ctrl-E, ASCII 4, ENQ to prompt for password and
> name input.  People calling with Telix 3.11 who have NOTHING set
> for their ENQ answerback string have problems, because Telix sends
> 4 characters (a '0', ASCII 48 being one of them) whenever it sees
> an ENQ (even once inside the BBS, if they hit Ctrl-E inside message

>  It gets weirder.  I had a couple of these people try changing
> their ENQ answerback string to something -- it *STILL* sent the 4
> character garbage and did NOT send their ENQ answerback string.

This isn't a bug, it's a "feature".  Telix 3.11 was designed for BBS use,
and so includes provisions for a Compu$erve Quick-B autodownload.
Unfortunately, CISB's initiation sequence is simply a ^E, to which the
receiving program (if it supports autodownload) replies with something like
an ESC, an ENQ, a 0, and some other crud... maybe.  That's what they're
getting.

Go into the Alt-O Options menu.  One of those screens (Protocol options?
Terminal options?  General options?  I left CI$ in a huff, and forgot) has
a line that says "Compuserve Quick B transfers?  Yes/NO".  Set it to no.

>  And, even weirder.  I use Telix 3.11 as well, and call other
> boards that run the same software I use.  When the ENQ comes for
> the password and name, my Telix copy doesn't send the 4 character
> string (it never does to an ENQ -- it works as it should work).  I
> would have assumed it was just a bad copy of Telix these people
> were using, except for the fact that they downloaded it from my BBS
> and it's the same copy I'm using.

You apparently have that flag set off.
---
	... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska    <ho@fergvax.unl.edu>

phil@heinlein.osc.edu (Phil Ritzenthaler) (07/27/89)

In article <1131@unocss.UUCP> ho@fergvax.unl.edu writes:
>From article <1645@sactoh0>, by brent@sactoh0 (Brent K. Barrett):
>>  It gets weirder.  I had a couple of these people try changing
>> their ENQ answerback string to something -- it *STILL* sent the 4
>> character garbage and did NOT send their ENQ answerback string.
>
>This isn't a bug, it's a "feature".  Telix 3.11 was designed for BBS use,

I'm sorry, but I disagree.  I don't have an answer for the original poster, but
I think telix was designed for just more than the BBS'er in mind.  Why do
all of the other terminal options exist, then??

It is my comm program of choice (even after the PC+ I purchased).  I need to
RTFM better, but right now I think Kermit has a better VT100 emulation.  Other
than that, I like it the best.

Oh, by the way, I'm not new to this game.  I was one of the beta testers for
Qmodem, but John lost my support with his 4.0 release.
-=-
Phil Ritzenthaler  The Advanced Computing Center for the Arts & Design (ACCAD)
Systems Manager    The Ohio State University
                   UUCP: ...!{pyramid,killer}!grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu!phil
                   ARPA: phil@grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu

pechter@scr1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) (07/27/89)

In article <1645@sactoh0> brent@sactoh0.UUCP (Brent K. Barrett) writes:

> I have a possible bug with Telix 3.11 here.  Let me explain as
>well as I can:
>
> My BBS sends out a Ctrl-E, ASCII 4, ENQ to prompt for password and
>name input.  People calling with Telix 3.11 who have NOTHING set
>for their ENQ answerback string have problems, because Telix sends
>4 characters (a '0', ASCII 48 being one of them) whenever it sees
>an ENQ (even once inside the BBS, if they hit Ctrl-E inside message
>entry, Telix sends the same 4 character string in response to the
>echo from the BBS of the ENQ).

It's not a bug -- it's a feature 8 - )

Turn off the auto-cis download feature.  CIS uses the ENQ for a
protocol initializer which is quite nice on CIS, but it's a problem
elsewhere.  Telix'll work just fine after that.

Bill

--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757

edlee@chinet.chi.il.us (Edward Lee) (07/27/89)

In article <1131@unocss.UUCP> ho@fergvax.unl.edu writes:
>[....]
>This isn't a bug, it's a "feature".  Telix 3.11 was designed for BBS use,
>and so includes provisions for a Compu$erve Quick-B autodownload.
>Unfortunately, CISB's initiation sequence is simply a ^E, to which the
>receiving program (if it supports autodownload) replies with something like
>an ESC, an ENQ, a 0, and some other crud... maybe.  That's what they're
>getting.

This explanation is quite plausible.  I have installed a line noise filter
today and have set the CIS B auto-download switch to OFF in Telix.
The noise filter works well, and I will discuss it in another article.

-Ed L

pechter@scr1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) (07/28/89)

In article <268@oscsuna.osc.edu> you write:
>In article <1131@unocss.UUCP> ho@fergvax.unl.edu writes:
>>From article <1645@sactoh0>, by brent@sactoh0 (Brent K. Barrett):
>>>  It gets weirder.  I had a couple of these people try changing
>>> their ENQ answerback string to something -- it *STILL* sent the 4
>>> character garbage and did NOT send their ENQ answerback string.
>>
>>This isn't a bug, it's a "feature".  Telix 3.11 was designed for BBS use,
>

>It is my comm program of choice (even after the PC+ I purchased).  I need to
>RTFM better, but right now I think Kermit has a better VT100 emulation.  Other
>than that, I like it the best.
>
>Oh, by the way, I'm not new to this game.  I was one of the beta testers for
>Qmodem, but John lost my support with his 4.0 release.

>-=-
>Phil Ritzenthaler  The Advanced Computing Center for the Arts & Design (ACCAD)
>Systems Manager    The Ohio State University
>                   UUCP: ...!{pyramid,killer}!grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu!phil
>                   ARPA: phil@grumpy.cgrg.ohio-state.edu

The vt100 emulation will be improved  (fixed) in version 3.12.
I hope to thoroughly test it against all of my software.
I'm hoping for Vt220 or 320 in version 4 (I have no guarrantees this will
happen).

The two best free or shareware comm programs are Kermit v2.32/A and Telix.
I've replaced registered/purchased copies of GT-Power, Procomm, Mex-PC
and Softerm here on my systems.

I only wish for a Salt tutorial.

In v3.12 the default will be CIS auto download off which will fix the
problem (if you can call it a problem).  I use CIS often and love the auto
zmodem and auto-CIS Quick-B transfer capability.

Telix is definitely a serious comm program.  I'm looking forward to V4.0
which will be just about everything you could ask for in a comm program.

Colin Sampaleanu runs a very nice BBS conference which is echoed to bbs's
throughout the US and Canada and has provided excellent support.

The CIS problem received the kind of heated discussion that is going on here
about the best way to deal with  the B series of CIS protocols' using the
answerback as a command.

Colin chose to change the default to CIS off in direct response to user
feedback.  Unfortunately he has no Unix access so he has to have some
loyal Telix users upload these discussions here to him.
--

schanck@harmonica.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Schanck) (07/28/89)

In article <436@scr1.UUCP> pechter@scr1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) writes:

>The vt100 emulation will be improved  (fixed) in version 3.12.

WHEN it is it coming out? Months ago I heard "soon", but in this cas,
no news is definately not good news...

Chris
-=-
See Mom, I can prove that cleaning my apartment is unsolvable by doing
a reduction from the National Deficit problem, which is obviously unsolvable!
Christopher Schanck (schanck@cis.ohio-state.edu)