[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for something to read Mac disks on a PC

lane@cs.dal.ca (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) (07/24/89)

I've seen some products for transfering files between Macs & PCs via a
serial connection (eq. Mac-Link from Data-viz (I think)).  Is there
something that will actually read a Mac disk on the PC, either using
an external diskette drive or a regular PC 3-1/2" drive?

How about software to convert various Mac wordprocessor formats into
WordPerfect?

--
John Wright      //////////////////     Phone:  902-424-3805  or  902-424-6527
Post: c/o Dr Pat Lane, Biology Dept, Dalhousie U, Halifax N.S., CANADA B3H-4H8

halp@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Bruce P. Halpern) (07/25/89)

IL, 40115. Tel:815-756-3411) plugs into a half-size slot in an IBM
PC (I use it in an IBM AT 339), and provides a connector at the rear
for a Mac 400K or 800K 3.5 drive. The software supplied with it
allows one to read, write, format, and get directories on the Mac
disks. ASCII files go between IBM and Mac just fine. If you have
WordPerfect for both, WordPerfect 4.2 files (or saved as 4.2) can
be used with WordPerfect for Mac if appropriate File Manager
settings are employed. MatchMaker lists for $149; often advertised
in InfoWorld.

--
  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|

leoh@hardy.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (07/25/89)

The makers of copy2PC make a board that "supposedly" allow you to use your PC to
read/write MAC disks ... how well this works I do not know as I do not own one.

If anyone ou there has any good and/or bad (problems with ant specific media size?) stories, please forward them ... thanks

Leo Hinds

tat@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tom Thackrey) (07/27/89)

In article <1145@hcx1.UUCP> leoh@hardy.hdw.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
 >The makers of copy2PC make a board that "supposedly" allow you to use your PC to
 >read/write MAC disks ... how well this works I do not know as I do not own one.

I have the copy2pc options + board and have been very happy with it.  I
can read and write mac disks in the 800K format.  I have not tried the
1.44M format, I don't think it will work on my configuration.  The board
comes with software which provides a bunch of mac format commands (e.g.
mformat, mdir, mmd, mrd, mcopy, mcd, etc.)  Mcopy, for example, will copy
a file to or from a mac format floppy using wild cards like ms-dos copy.

The board is installed in a slot with the cable from the floppy controller
to the copy2pc board and another cable to the floppy.

Incidently, their telephone support is quite good.  These are the same
folks that make PC Tools Deluxe (Central Point Software, Inc.)  I think
they are in Beaverton, OR.
--
Tom Thackrey sun!amdahl!tat00

[ The opinions expressed herin are mine alone. ]

larry@jc3b21.UUCP (Lawrence F. Strickland) (07/27/89)

From article <1145@hcx1.UUCP>, by leoh@hardy.harris.com (Leo Hinds):
> The makers of copy2PC make a board that "supposedly" allow you to use your PC to
> read/write MAC disks ... how well this works I do not know as I do not own one.

I own the Copy II PC option board described above from Central Point Software.
Originally it was purchased at an Egghead Software locally.  When I first tried
out the card, it did not work at all when storing information to a Mac disk,
though it read the information OK (most of the time).  I called CPS and was
VERY impressed with their service.  Their voice phone system is excellent and
directed me to a location where I could discuss this particular product.

Unfortunately, all assistants were busy.  They said they would call back
(right!  I've dealt with Microsoft enough to know that is just a brushoff).
Well, they actually did!  The person I talked to actually knew about the
product!  Furthermore, she had a suspicion of what the problem was and they
had just released a fix and would send it to me (free!)

However, I had to complete a transfer project that night.  She offerred to
post the corrected files to the BBS system and made good on her offer.  I was
able to pull down the changes, they worked, and I was able to complete my
project.  In addition, they still sent me an official 'fixed' disk.

A few weeks later, I got a letter from them asking if the correction was OK
and was I still having problems plus appologizing for the trouble!  Two weeks
after that, I got another disk (free) in the mail with corrections to a
problem I'd not had yet.  Basically, CPS is an outstanding company.

As far as the board itself is concerned, I've had no problems moving files
back and forth to the Mac.  Using PageMaker, I've transferred files from one
system back and forth to the other.  Same with Microsoft Word (4.0 and 5.0).
I've also transferred MacPaint and Tiff files from the Mac and then placed
them using PageMaker on the PC.  No problems in any of this.

The copy of IBM protected disks also works.

I have not tried copying Atari or Amiga disks as yet, though that is also
supported (though not copying files from/to these systems).

I have tried copying (protected) Mac disks, but have not had any luck.  They
warn in the manual this might be the case.

All in all, the board and software have pleased me considerably.  Just the
other day, I transferred 40 WordPerfect files to MS Word format (on the PC),
then copied them to a Mac diskette and read them in using Word on the Mac.
It worked flawlessly.  Several days later I converted a Wordstar file and
copied it to Mac.  People were unable to do this using TOPS, so it saved
considerable time, effort, and probably a client.

I am a very satisfied customer.

--
+--------------------------------------+-- St. Petersburg Junior College --+
|        Lawrence F. Strickland        |   P.O. Box 13489                  |

dinda@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Peter Dinda) (07/29/89)

device called a Copy II PC Option Board.  The board's principle
purpose is to allow one to copy any copy-protected IBM software
short of those disks that have been physically damaged.  As an added
benefit, the board allows one to read and write macintosh disks on
an IBM 3.5" disk drive.  This seems to me to be an ideal solution,
since the addition of an external Mac drive is far more expensive
and is useful for only one purpose.  The board lists for $180.

OH, BTW, the board you want is called the Copy II PC Option Board
DELUXE - the non-deluxe DOES NOT read/write Mac disks.

: Peter A. Dinda                    Madison Academic Computing Center     :
: dinda@VMS.macc.wisc.edu           1210 W. Dayton                        :
: dinda@garfield.cs.wisc.edu        Madison, WI 53704                     :
: "More than your average CAT"      608 263 7744                          :

In article <8488@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, halp@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Bruce P. Halpern) writes...