[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WANTED! PD Software for OS/2

rkpc@mergvax (Rob Kedoin) (07/11/89)

Does anyone know of any archive that contains public domain program for OS/2 ?

Specifically, has anyone seen versions of Emacs or Kermit for OS/2 ?

I know that I can still run the old programs in the DOS-box but I prefer to
spend my day in Protected Mode. :-)

Thanks in advance,

		-Rob Kedoin

UUCP:   {decvax, motown, cpmain, icus}!mergvax.uucp!rkpc
ARPA:	rkpc%mergvax.UUCP@decvax.dec.com
USnail-mail: Linotype Company - R&D 425 Oser Avenue Hauppauge, NY 11788
VOICE: (516) 434 - 2729

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (07/27/89)

	Since OS/2 software is so expensive to write and maintain, the
likely hood of finding anything PD is small.  OS/2 is just not popular
enough.

				Bryon Lape
				LAPEB@UTKVX2
					wozniak@utkux1

END OF LINE E

mitchf@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mitchel Fry) (07/28/89)

/ hpcvlx:comp.sys.ibm.pc / wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) / 11:18 am  Jul 26, 1989 /

----------

mitchf@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mitchel Fry) (07/28/89)

 / wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) / 11:18 am  Jul 26, 1989 /

>	Since OS/2 software is so expensive to write and maintain, the
>likely hood of finding anything PD is small.  OS/2 is just not popular
>enough.

Not so...Bix ( The byte information exchange) has a public domain OS/2 area
with about 80 PD programs including several commuication programs and utils,
some games and several system utilities.  More are showing up all of the
time.  I'm sure that there a several other PD sources out their ( BBS's,
and Compuserve).  OS/2 is shaping up as a excellent development environment
and more accessable now that 1mg memory chips are in the $10-$15 dollar range
( > $150 per meg)...MITCH

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (07/30/89)

In article <101000060@hpcvlx.HP.COM> mitchf@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mitchel Fry) writes:
>/ hpcvlx:comp.sys.ibm.pc / wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) / 11:18 am  Jul 26, 1989 /
>	Since OS/2 software is so expensive to write and maintain, the
>likely hood of finding anything PD is small.  OS/2 is just not popular
>enough.

There are several pieces of software that are becoming popular that
are PD and are normally found on your local BBS's.
Search your local BBS's and most feature some sort of search
capability like  Zip Dir Scan to search for a word such as
os  or /2  (Don't get too picky, keep your scan open).
You'd be surprised what you might find.
I know I have several pieces of os/2 software on our bbs for
the east coast people.  CCS BBS  (301) 476-5098  1200/2400/V9600

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..