[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 80186 XT clones

lance@helios (Lance Bresee) (07/19/89)

Does anyone know of a company which produces IBM PCXT
clone motherboards using the 80188 or 80186?
How about any machine using the 80186?

ALSO, you chip GURUs, does anyone know anything about an
intel microcontroller, the 8049?  I just got a whole bunch
of them for free, and would like to program the little pups
up and put them to work....will gladly trade several for spec sheets and
documentation...
  or could you tell me which board would be most likely to
  get results on this question?

Thanx muchly
lance

Lance%helios.ucsc.edu

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (07/20/89)

In article <8408@saturn.ucsc.edu>, lance@helios (Lance Bresee) writes:

> Does anyone know of a company which produces IBM PCXT
> clone motherboards using the 80188 or 80186?
> How about any machine using the 80186?

	The Tandy 2000 was one of a very small number of machines that
were made with the 80186 chip. It surely must have sold a few copies, but
it really didn't last long on the commericial market (a year, tops...)
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

al@escom.com (Al Donaldson) (07/22/89)

In article <8408@saturn.ucsc.edu>, lance@helios (Lance Bresee) writes:
> How about any machine using the 80186?

Back in 83 when I started at Verdix Corporation, they hired some small company
down in Boca Raton, FL (no, some OTHER small company.. :-) to build some 80186
based prototype systems.  As I remember, the VPC-186 (Verdix PC-186) had something
like a 12 inch CRT, and the basic system was about 10" wide x 10" high x 24" deep,
with a handle on top so you could carry it around.  The design included a set
of options modules that plugged in from the bottom, including battery packs,
hard disks, etc.  With a battery pack you could unplug the system from the AC outlet
and it would continue to run.  Pretty neat.

But as I remember, the system weighed over 30 pounds, not counting battery
and disk options, etc.  Because of its weight, it became known to some of us
engineers as "the Arnold Schwarzenegger" PC.  Need I say, the thing never got
off the ground.  Last I knew, Verdix still had all ten of the boxes laying around
collecting dust.

Al Donaldson

rick@NRC.COM (Rick Wagner) (07/22/89)

In article <8408@saturn.ucsc.edu>, lance@helios (Lance Bresee) writes:

> Does anyone know of a company which produces IBM PCXT
> clone motherboards using the 80188 or 80186?
> How about any machine using the 80186?

When I was at Lancore Technologies (now defunct), we had the "Core"
series of file server based on an 8Mhz and later 10Mhz 80186.  The
company missed its calling by producing something based on the '186
when the AT was already out.  The inability to run protected Netware
was a constant sales killer.

Rick Wagner						Network Research Corp.
rick@nrc.com	rick@nrcvax.UUCP			2380 North Rose Ave.
(805) 485-2700	FAX: (805) 485-8204			Oxnard, CA 93030
Don't hate yourself in the morning, sleep 'till noon.

William.Cummins@bigtime.fidonet.org (William Cummins) (07/22/89)

The tandy 1200 ? I think was the most popular 80188 computer there were
others though  the 8049 microcontrolers ie.8049AH have a 2K x 8ROM
memory in them and are not programable the 8749 have the Eprom and are
program able the program in the parts you have I think can be disabled
then you can use then with external memory     WAC
--
William Cummins
Domain: William.Cummins@bigtime.fidonet.org

apollo@bucsb.UUCP (07/22/89)

In article <8408@saturn.ucsc.edu> lance@helios.ucsc.edu (Lance Bresee) writes:

>Does anyone know of a company which produces IBM PCXT
>clone motherboards using the 80188 or 80186?
>How about any machine using the 80186?

Tandy/Radio Shack use to make a PC "semi"-compatible, the Tandy 2000,
using the 80186 chip.
I believe this was before IBM released their AT class machines.
This machine didn't stay on the market for too long for obvious reasons
that it wasn't based on any "standard" IBM products and I believe that there
were quite a few software compatibility problems.

I think you might be able to find a few used ones still around.
A while back (~2 year) I saw a place in Computer Shopper selling off surplus
Tandy 2000 motherboards for $75 each.

>Thanx muchly
>lance
>
>Lance%helios.ucsc.edu

-Doug

apollo@bucsb.bu.edu
engm08c@buacca.bu.edu

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (07/23/89)

lance@helios (Lance Bresee) writes:
>Does anyone know of a company which produces IBM PCXT
>clone motherboards using the 80188 or 80186?
>How about any machine using the 80186?

To the best of my knowledge, the only "186 XT" machine ever made was the
Tandy 2000. It was *DOS* compatible, but not *BIOS* compatible.
There are a lot of them out there and a fair amount of user group support.
I'm not sure that they used XT card slots, though...

Ask for more info on comp.sys.tandy.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

ken@capone.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (07/24/89)

In article <1578@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>lance@helios (Lance Bresee) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a company which produces IBM PCXT
>>clone motherboards using the 80188 or 80186?
>>How about any machine using the 80186?
>
>To the best of my knowledge, the only "186 XT" machine ever made was the
>Tandy 2000. It was *DOS* compatible, but not *BIOS* compatible.

WARNING: trivia alert...

Paradyne Corp. produced an XT clone based on the '186 (or '188?), but
I don't know if it ever made it outside of the company.  The PDX, as
it was called had 3270 emulation built in, I think (Tom, you can fill
this in...;')

	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken@gatech.edu		masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl, unmvax,
	                      ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken

hashemi@leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) (07/24/89)

In article <1578@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>lance@helios (Lance Bresee) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a company which produces IBM PCXT
>>clone motherboards using the 80188 or 80186?
>>How about any machine using the 80186?
>
>To the best of my knowledge, the only "186 XT" machine ever made was the
>Tandy 2000. It was *DOS* compatible, but not *BIOS* compatible.

I know Western Digital made 186 machine( I have a friend who worked on the
project). Although they never really marketted the system(who knows why?).

This was about 3 years ago, right about the time the 286 based AT's started
being popular(I mean the clones off course).

mdfreed@ziebmef.uucp (Mark Freedman) (07/30/89)

(80186 based PC clones ....)
    I believe that AMPRO  (the "Little Board" people) also had a 186-based
single-board computer with an expansion bus connector. Their market niche
was single-board computers small enough to mount on a 5 1/4" floppy drive.
I believe that they also made daughterboards for video and other options.
    I don't have an ad handy, but I recall seeing recent ads (perhaps in Byte
or Computer Shopper) for the V40 and the new 80286-based system.
[H