[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Irritating quirks of MS-DOS...

abcscnuk@csuna.csun.edu (Naoto Kimura) (07/24/89)

I find a number of irritating quirks of MS-DOS:

*   If I type "A:FOO" to run a program or batch file from the A: drive,
    and such a file doesn't exist on the A: drive, it will search the
    path for the file and execute whatever it finds, even if it doesn't
    exist on the drive I specified on the command line.

*   If I make a batch file, the output of the batch file cannot be
    redirected.

I'd like to know from those people who have used OS/2 if these same
quirks occur with the command processor in OS/2.

                //-n-\\			 Naoto Kimura
        _____---=======---_____		 (abcscnuk@csuna.csun.edu)
    ====____\   /.. ..\   /____====
  //         ---\__O__/---         \\	Enterprise... Surrender or we'll
  \_\                             /_/	send back your *&^$% tribbles !!

tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (07/25/89)

In article <2090@csuna.csun.edu> abcscnuk@csuna.csun.edu (Naoto Kimura) writes:
>I find a number of irritating quirks of MS-DOS:

MS-DOS sure has a lot or irritating quirks, the following too
can be circumvented easily however (in DOS 3.x at least):

>*   If I type "A:FOO" to run a program or batch file from the A: drive,
>    and such a file doesn't exist on the A: drive, it will search the
>    path for the file and execute whatever it finds, even if it doesn't
>    exist on the drive I specified on the command line.

Type "A:.\FOO" instead.

>*   If I make a batch file, the output of the batch file cannot be
>    redirected.

Invoke it with another copy of COMMAND.COM:
"COMMAND /C MYBATCH > RESULTS"
assuming of course that you can spare the memory.

>I'd like to know from those people who have used OS/2 if these same
>quirks occur with the command processor in OS/2.

I'd like to know that, too.  The OS/2 command processor does have
several enhancements over DOS, including a much-needed escape
character (^) and a few new batch file commands, but my knowledge here
is based on what I've read, I don't have access to an OS/2 machine
or even manuals.  Perhaps someone who is actually using OS/2 would
care to comment?

--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)

mikemo@microsoft.UUCP (Michael Morearty) (07/26/89)

In article <2090@csuna.csun.edu> abcscnuk@csuna.csun.edu (Naoto Kimura) writes:
>I find a number of irritating quirks of MS-DOS:
>
>*   If I type "A:FOO" to run a program or batch file from the A: drive,
>    and such a file doesn't exist on the A: drive, it will search the
>    path for the file and execute whatever it finds, even if it doesn't
>    exist on the drive I specified on the command line.

This behaves as you would expect in OS/2: if you type "A:FOO", and foo
doesn't exist on A:, you will get an error message.

>*   If I make a batch file, the output of the batch file cannot be
>    redirected.

This also behaves as expected in OS/2: "mybatch >results" redirects
output.

>I'd like to know from those people who have used OS/2 if these same
>quirks occur with the command processor in OS/2.

No, they don't.

--
Opinions are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer.

Mike Morearty	(mikemo@microsoft.UUCP, uunet!microsoft!mikemo)

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (07/30/89)

abcscnuk@csuna.csun.edu (Naoto Kimura) writes:

>*   If I type "A:FOO" to run a program or batch file from the A: drive,
>    and such a file doesn't exist on the A: drive, it will search the
>    path for the file and execute whatever it finds, even if it doesn't
>    exist on the drive I specified on the command line.

For what it is worth, this only happens if you use "a:foo". If you use
"a:\foo" it works the way you want. I rather suspect that it is not
considered a bug by Microsoft. They seem to consiider anything that
doesn't start from the root directory to be a relative path, and in
case a relative path isn't correct, the PATH variable get used.

I don't say it's *right*, I do say that it is (regrettably) consistent.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]