[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Panasonic--Packard Bell incompatibility

slimick@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (John C Slimick) (07/29/89)

I am having difficulties in getting a Packard Bell 900
(12 Meg PC AT clone) to communicate with a Panasonic
KXP 1124 printer. The PB900 works well with a Star NX10
printer and the 1124 works well on our XT clones.

The major symptom is that when a print command (regular or
print screen) is issued, the 1124 does nothing while the
PB900 thinks all is okay. Data and the other signals are
arriving at the 1124 (verified by analyzer) but the
1124 is just not responding. A second symptom is that at
boot time, the PRIME line is dropped, but I detect no
response from the 1124 (I was expecting the usual printer
chatter that accompanies boot). However, by manually grouding
the PRIME line, I do get the usual chatter.

Packard Bell is aware of this problem, but (of course) they
say the problem is Panasonic's. Being uninterested in finger-pointing
exercises, I ask for assistance. If you can help, please
send e-mail to:
                    slimick@pittvms.BITNET
or
                    psuvax1!idis!cisunx!slimick

Voice line is (814)362-7543

Thanks.
John Slimick, University of Pittsburgh at Bradford, Bradford PA

wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/31/89)

In article <18910@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu> slimick@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (John C Slimick) writes:
 >I am having difficulties in getting a Packard Bell 900
 >(12 Meg PC AT clone) to communicate with a Panasonic
 >KXP 1124 printer. The PB900 works well with a Star NX10
 >printer and the 1124 works well on our XT clones.
 >
 >Packard Bell is aware of this problem, but (of course) they
 >say the problem is Panasonic's. Being uninterested in finger-pointing
 >exercises, I ask for assistance. If you can help, please
 >send e-mail to:

We ran into the same problem, but only with the latest PB I/O card,
which is different from the one described in their PB900 manual.

We solved the problem by simply swapping the PB I/O card for
a SUNTEC (SIIG) card; our dealer (SoftWarehouse Dallas) made that
swap at no charge.

BTW, the older PB card (the one described in the PB900 manual) works
just fine with the 1124.

Wolf
UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".