[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Seiko CM-1430 800x600 mode

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (07/27/89)

	The Seiko CM-1430 is a high resolution VGA monitor that also
has a 8514/A compatible mode (1024x768 interlaced).  At the intermediate
VESA mode (800x600), it's ability to display properly depends on the
monitor card.  I had previously reported that cards by Paradise or that
use the Paradise chip, produce an 800x600 mode that rolls vertically
approx. 3 times every 2 seconds.  It has since been pointed out to
me that one can adjust the vertical hold (which involves removing the
outer case, and requires a watchmaker's screwdriver and a steady hand)
to stop the 800x600 rolling, while still preserving the vertical hold
at lower resolution modes (although it's quite a fine adjustment).  I
have seen such a monitor in operation (that is, a Seiko CM-1430 serially
displaying CGA, EGA, VGA, and VESA modes, back and forth with no problem),
and plan to do the adjustment on my monitor just as soon as I find a
screwdriver small enough, and overcome a little uneasiness I have about
printed circuit boards, and high voltage capacitors in close proximity.

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

jwi@lzfme.att.com (J.WINER) (07/31/89)

In article <2365@aecom.yu.edu>, werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) writes:

> ....  It has since been pointed out to
> me that one can adjust the vertical hold (which involves removing the
> outer case, and requires a watchmaker's screwdriver and a steady hand)

Use a television alignment tool (all plastic or plastic with a metal
blade tip) instead of a watchmaker's screwdriver. You won't short
anything that way, and you won't make an adjustment and then
discover it is sensitive to whether or not the screwdriver is in
place while you make it. They are available in sets (by mail for
small $) from MCM Electronics.

Jim Winer ..!lzfme!jwi (Usually unable to reply to email outside AT&T)

Those persons who advocate censorship offend my religion.

Upuaut:	a wolf-headed Egyptian deity | Voodoo: the art of sticking ideas
	assigned as Guidance System  |         into people and watching
	for the Barque of Ra.        |         them bleed.

The opinions expressed here are not necessarily