[comp.sys.ibm.pc] word perfect format & writing a conversion prgm.

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (07/30/89)

My wife uses WordPerfect 5.0; I use XyWrite.  A conversion
program would be fairly easy to write.  But I have found it
difficult to find any accessible and systematic information
on the format of WordPerfect files:  COULD SOMEONE PLEASE
POINT ME TO A PUBLICATION OR PIECE OF DOCUMENTATION THAT
CONTAINS THIS INFORMATION?

Oh:  I know about conversion programs out there.  My version
of XyWrite has been heavily, heavily customized, and I need
to write something to do the conversion myself.

                                       -Richard L. Goerwitz
                                       goer@sophist.uchicago.edu
                                       rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

csa014@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kevin Trojanowski) (08/01/89)

What you're after is the WordPerfect Developers Toolkit, which WordPerfect
Corp sells for ~$20.  It can be ordered directly from WordPerfect, and
includes the formats of all the WordPerfect files for versino 5.0.  It's
not the easiest document to understand, but it is fairly well written --
the complexity of WordPerfect itself is what makes it difficult, tho by
no means impossible to understand.

-Kevin Trojanowski
 troj@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
 trojpg@uiamvs.bitnet
 trojanowski@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (08/01/89)

In article <4731@tank.uchicago.edu> goer@sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
>My wife uses WordPerfect 5.0; I use XyWrite.  A conversion
>program would be fairly easy to write.  But I have found it
>POINT ME TO A PUBLICATION OR PIECE OF DOCUMENTATION THAT
>CONTAINS THIS INFORMATION?
>Oh:  I know about conversion programs out there.  My version

WordPerfect has a technical information package and documentation to
explain the formats and such.
Contact WPCorp directly and I am sure they
will assist you.  The format for 5.0 is quite different
than 4.2, due to all the graphics features.
Good Luck.

--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..