[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Change monitor to end 800x600 flicker?

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (08/01/89)

In article <36300052@iuvax>, bose@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:
> I have a sony multiscan 1302.  It flickers in the 800x600 vga mode.  I
> understand this is due to the fast phosphor rate.
>
> 1. Does sony make a monitor that will not flicker in the higher res. modes?

The best solution is to get a card that runs the screen at about 60 Hz or better
refresh rate.  The 1302 and 1303 monitors will handle that with ease.

To do so requires an oscillator on the card of 37 MHz or higher (the STB VGA
Extra/EM cheats a little by using 36.5 MHz, and it looks pretty good).

> 2. Are there any large (16inch or greater) monochrome monitors that will
>    handle the 800x600 super vga mode?

The Multisync GS seems to have spawned several imitators (even though its
sales figures seem to have been disappointing to NEC) and I believe some
are in the 16 to 20 inch range.  I don't know for sure though.

Charles Marslett
chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us