[comp.sys.ibm.pc] hard drive

frederit@boulder.Colorado.EDU (FREDERICKS THOMAS M) (07/27/89)

   I recently acquired a 10 megabyte hard drive out of a unix-pc.  Trouble
   is that there is a set of dip switches on the back that I don't know
   what to set to.  The drive is a Miniscribe model 3425.
   If anyone has worked with one of these or has a spec please let me
   know.
		Thanks,
				Tom...

	Enter the point where reality and illusion merge to become one...
		frederit@spot.Colorado.EDU

Frederit@Boulder.colorado.edu asks about DIP swttings on Miniscribe drives ...

Suggest you call Miniscribe in Longmont, CO  **ASAP**

Last I heard, Miniscribe is in the process of going belly-up; they just filed
for Chapter 11 in Federal Bankruptcy Court.  Their media (platter) supplier
was providing junk for the past several months (per the stories I've heard),
and Miniscribe drives are becoming VERY difficult to locate now.  I've just
tried to get some more 3085 and NO local dealer can get them.

I'm now looking at Microscience drives (re: 1/2 height, large capacity).

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

goer@sophist.uucp (Richard Goerwitz) (07/28/89)

In article <20818@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>Last I heard, Miniscribe is in the process of going belly-up.

Some substantiation of this assertion would be nice.  You say that they
filed for Chapter 11 protection in Federal Court.  Where did you get this
information?  This is not a flame.

                                       -Richard L. Goerwitz
                                       goer@sophist.uchicago.edu
                                       rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

The problems regarding Miniscribe were related to me by staff at:

US Mach Systems (Fremont, CA)

Access Computer Technologies (Santa Clara, CA)

and 6 other vendors I called who advertise in COMPUTER CURRENTS and in
MICROTIMES; I flagged their ads in the latest issues, so I could cite their
names, too, if necessary, but having received the SAME story from so many
dealers independently strongly suggests to me the veracity of the assertion
Miniscribe is in SERIOUS trouble.

Re: US Mach and Access Comp. Tech.: these are vendors from whom I normally
buy drives (e.g. Miniscribe 3085) and they've NO reason to lie to me esp.
when I'm walking in there with cash in hand ready to buy more drives.

jan@bagend.UUCP (Jan Isley) (07/30/89)

In article <4704@tank.uchicago.edu> goer@sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
>In article <20818@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>
>>Last I heard, Miniscribe is in the process of going belly-up.
>
>Some substantiation of this assertion would be nice.  You say that they
>filed for Chapter 11 protection in Federal Court.  Where did you get this
>information?  This is not a flame.

I buy disk drives from about 8 different distributors.  In the last 3 weeks
every distributor that I deal with that carries Miniscribe has told me that
Miniscribe is history, ie: no longer accepting orders or filling old ones,
and that the supply in warehouses are drying up fast.  The 3085 is getting
scarce *real* fast.  One month ago I had distributors offering me great
deals on quantity hundreds of the 3085s, now they cannot fill orders for 5.

Jan Isley, follower of Zen, picker of nit
jan@bagend | gatech!bagend!jan | (404) 434-1335

[ previous reply continued; damned PORTAL mail interface ... ]

It's not that the drives weren't available over the counter and that I'd
have to wait; it's that the drives aren't available PERIOD.  They ALL
said Miniscribe isn't manufacturing drives anymore.

This P.O.'d me royally, as I *need* three 1/2 height, maximum-possible
capacity drives with an ST506/412 interface.  The Miniscribe 3085 has been
satisfying these requirements VERY nicely (and at 22 mS avg access); now I
am being forced to use lesser capacity UNLESS I can locate some other
mfr's drives.

Other people who've also been checking mail order "houses" have informed me
that Hard Times (??) (adv. in COMPUTER SHOPPER, which I don't get) is saying
the same story.

There are three of us looking for 10 drives (the Miniscribe 3085 was the
drive of choice) for the past 2 weeks, and none are to be found "all of a
sudden."

These are the sources and the extent of my knowledge in this matter.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) (07/31/89)

In article <20845@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
[]
"There are three of us looking for 10 drives (the Miniscribe 3085 was the
"drive of choice) for the past 2 weeks, and none are to be found "all of a
"sudden."

have you looked into the fujitsu 2243T?

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Null Fu-Tze		|		LEARN HOW TO AVOID RIPOFFS!	       |

boyne@hplvli.HP.COM (Art Boyne) (07/31/89)

All this talk about Miniscribe going under is very interesting, but I doubt
it's correctness.  Miniscribe is located in Longmont, Colorado, just 20 miles
from here, and the local papers have said nothing about any Chapter 11 filing;
in the past they have followed Miniscribe closely.  Also, one guy at church
works for Miniscribe and is being transfered 10 days from now to Hong Kong -
with return trip guaranteed.

What is true is that Miniscribe recently announced that, due to improper
accounting practices, company profits for the last couple of years have been
overstated.  They are taking action to clean up their accounting.

Art Boyne, boyne@hplvla.hp.com (in Loveland, Colorado)

axaris@sunybcs.uucp (Vassilios Axaris) (08/02/89)

As long as we still are on the hard drive issue, I am looking for info. on
Microscience drives, pertaining to their reliability and value/green. In
particular, are they better than Seagates? Sure, the ad I saw in Comp.Shopper
says voice coil actuators, servo this, micro that, but only one company sells
them (Rose Hill Computers), except Northgate that has them as standard equip-
ment.

Vassilios.

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (08/02/89)

I'm not sure about the chapter 11 stuff but today I received a Miniscribe
3180E from Austin Computer (who hasn't, btw, heard that Miniscribe isn't
taking orders).  The mfg date on the drive was June 17, 1989.  Austin did
say that they have a hard time getting the 3180 drive but that is only
because Miniscribe can't make them fast enough.

BTW, the drive I received is to replace the one that came with my computer
in May.  It went TU with miscellaneous errors here and there for the last
6 weeks.  Maybe this is due to the media problems mentioned earlier in this
posting.  I hope this problem has been fixed.

Ken `keeping my fingers crossed' Snyder