[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 800x600x256 MONITORS

gwang@berlioz (George Wang) (07/30/89)

In article <2751@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> twb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.w.beattie) writes:
>I am interested in getting a VGA card and and a (possibly oversize) monitor.
>The standard monitor is ~14 inches.
>
>I am looking for a 14-20 inch monitor capable of Super VGA 800x600x256
>with NO FLICKER!
>
>I am tentatively considering a Paradise VGA board (512K).
>
>	Can anyone recommend a monitor?
>	Any reason to avoid the Paradise card?
>	Other useful suggestions?

I just recently purchased a ATI VGA Wonder and a Goldstar Super
1440 monitor... The ATI VGA wonder comes with it's own microsoft
compatible port and 256K... I am currently looking for chips
to upgrade it to 512K...

As for the Goldstar monitor, it has excellent colors... Although
it's not as sharp as the NEC Multisync it's well worth the price
I paid for it ($395).... As soon as I get my 512K I will test
the 800 X 600 X 256... Supposedly the monitor can handle
800 X 600 though in a PCMagazine review it said it "strained"
at 800 X 600... I'll have to see for myself...

Hope this Helps

twb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.w.beattie) (08/01/89)

I am interested in getting a VGA card and and a (possibly oversize) monitor.
The standard monitor is ~14 inches.

I am looking for a 14-20 inch monitor capable of Super VGA 800x600x256
with NO FLICKER!

I am tentatively considering a Paradise VGA board (512K).

	Can anyone recommend a monitor?
	Any reason to avoid the Paradise card?
	Other useful suggestions?

TIA,
---
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (08/02/89)

In article <2751@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, twb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.w.beattie) writes:
> I am interested in getting a VGA card and and a (possibly oversize) monitor.
> The standard monitor is ~14 inches.
>
> I am looking for a 14-20 inch monitor capable of Super VGA 800x600x256
> with NO FLICKER!
>
> I am tentatively considering a Paradise VGA board (512K).

	The Paradise Video card has the following modes beyond standard
VGA:
	0x59 800x600x16
	0x5e 640x400x256
	0x5f 640x480x256

	It does not have the BIOS logic to support the 800x600x256 or
1024x768x16 modes, despite having enough memory to do so. Pity, since that's
what I have and I'm stuck with what I have. You want 8x6x256, you don't
buy a Paradise.

	The Orchid ProDesigner, so I hear, has those missing modes, and will
also display 800x600 on a Seiko CM-1430 without problem. (Of course, a
Paradise card will display 800x600 on a Seiko iff you are willing to open
the case of the monitor and play with the vertical hold control ever
so gingerly.) The people that I am aquainted with who do the best imaging
that I have encountered use a NEC 3-D, which is not oversized, but goes
up to 800x600 not interlaced, plus 8514/A interlaced.  There is also the
newly introduced 4D and 5D, but I hear those are in the category of if you
have to ask how much they cost, you can't afford them.

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine