[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Who makes 80286 BIOSes?

mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (07/27/89)

My company is trying to get out a C++ compiler that will run on the 80286
in protected mode using a DOS extender.  The DOS extender is BIOS-sensitive,
so we need as complete a list of BIOSes as we can to make the installation
procedure smooth for our customers (and therefore keep them from calling
us for technical support!)

So ... do you know of any other BIOS besides IBM, Compaq, Phoenix, Award,
AMI, and Quadtel?  You might just post the answer to this question; I presume
many others would be interested.

Thanks in advance.
--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455-9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (08/01/89)

In article <224@intek01.UUCP>, mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
> My company is trying to get out a C++ compiler that will run on the 80286
> in protected mode using a DOS extender.  The DOS extender is BIOS-sensitive,
> so we need as complete a list of BIOSes as we can to make the installation
> procedure smooth for our customers (and therefore keep them from calling
> us for technical support!)
>
> So ... do you know of any other BIOS besides IBM, Compaq, Phoenix, Award,
> AMI, and Quadtel?  You might just post the answer to this question; I presume
> many others would be interested.

The only "BIOS vendor" I know of that you failed to list is Chips & Technology
(who used to sell Phoenix BIOSes, but now write their own).  AT&T and some of
the older clone manufacturers also roll their own (having had code running
before the Phoenix BIOS boom).

> Thanks in advance.

> Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)

Charles Marslett
chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us

tom@tandon.UUCP (Tom Friel) (08/02/89)

In article <8835@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) writes:
>In article <224@intek01.UUCP>, mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>>
>> [ deleted..]
>>
>> So ... do you know of any other BIOS besides IBM, Compaq, Phoenix, Award,
>> AMI, and Quadtel?  You might just post the answer to this question; I presume
>> many others would be interested.
>
>The only "BIOS vendor" I know of that you failed to list is Chips & Technology
>(who used to sell Phoenix BIOSes, but now write their own).  AT&T and some of
>the older clone manufacturers also roll their own (having had code running
>before the Phoenix BIOS boom).
>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
>> Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)

For the record, Tandon puts its own BIOS on all its AT and 386 machines.  We
even took a run at marketing the BIOS but my group got shot down by upper
management.  (For a hardware vender doing $400 million in sales, selling
an industry unique BIOS makes no sense, even I must agree.)  Mylex
and Micronics (2 of our suppliers) were extremely anxious.  Another reason
that our BIOS is not widely known in the U.S. is because over 85% of our
machines are shipped to Europe.

All you poor souls having problems with shadow, cache, controllers, drives
(especially Conners!), speed, memory... you have my sympathy and there is
nothing I can do for you, although I would LOVE to you sell the Tandon BIOS.
We've done what we can to solve most of our own problems, a big advantage
in NOT dealing with Award or Phoenix!

Sorry to gloat on the net, just adding one more company to the BIOS list.
To be fair, you should add Zenith, too.

Tom Friel
Tandon Computer Corporation
Manager, BIOS Development (although I wish I was back working with Unix!)