[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desktop Publishers???

rcj@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Robert Johnson) (07/18/89)

I need some help.  Our department at work has been producing ~200
page manuals recently.  All of the work is done on computers (graphics
on Lotus Freelance, and Harvard Graphics, and text on CEO (a word
processing package on the Data General that I can download into
wordperfect 5.0).  The only problem is that to combine the two, we are
resorting to cutting and pasting the finished product together.  This,
I feel, is rather pointless, and have begun looking into a good
desktop publisher.  Briefely, this is what I need:

        1) Capability for >150pg documents.
        2) Lotus Freelance & Harvard Graphics compatability.
        3) Word Perfect compatibility (need I ask for this?!)
        4) Ease of use.

I think that #4 is the real stickler here.  I have looked into Ventura,
and it definately does not addapt itself to ease of use from what I have
seen.  Are there any other programs out there that do what I need?
How about GEM/3 Desktop Publisher?  I need a braod survey of what's
out there so I can make a good recomendation.

             Thanks,
                Robert C. Johnson

P.S. Mail, & I'll sumarize.

--
|  Robert C. Johnson                |  "Minds are like parachutes.       |
|   rcj@attctc.dallas.tx.us         |   They only function when they are |

russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) (07/18/89)

In article <8703@attctc.Dallas.TX.US>, rcj@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Robert Johnson) writes:
> I need some help.  Our department at work has been producing ~200
> page manuals recently.  All of the work is done on computers (graphics
> on Lotus Freelance, and Harvard Graphics, and text on CEO (a word
> processing package on the Data General that I can download into
> wordperfect 5.0).  The only problem is that to combine the two, we are
> resorting to cutting and pasting the finished product together.  This,
> I feel, is rather pointless, and have begun looking into a good
> desktop publisher.  Briefely, this is what I need:
>
>         1) Capability for >150pg documents.
>         2) Lotus Freelance & Harvard Graphics compatability.
>         3) Word Perfect compatibility (need I ask for this?!)
>         4) Ease of use.
>
> I think that #4 is the real stickler here.  I have looked into Ventura,
> and it definately does not addapt itself to ease of use from what I have
> seen.

I believe that you are on the verge of making a common-but-serious error,
namely:

Confusing "ease of use" with "ease of LEARNING to use".

Specifically, I have some experience with Ventura and I have found it to
be EXTREMELY easy to use .... once I "got a handle" on it.  It is
particularly valueable for long documents, such as you describe, especially
when revisions are called for.  Ventura keeps your original files intact,
albeit with readily-understandable formatting tags inserted, so that you
can modify the document but still have all the formatting work without
tedious updating to accomodate content-changes.

Ventura LOOKS hairy AT FIRST.  But it IS logically arranged and EASY to
use AS SOON AS you get over being mystified by it.

Personally, I would give it an "A+" for "ease of use", and a "C+" for
"ease of learning to use".

Also, while I am NOT intimately familiar with alternatives to Ventura,
I would be relatively skeptical of any product which was extremely easy to
learn, in that I would question how much power it has.  In other words,
desktop publishing SHOULD give you considerable control over ALL the facets
of document appearance.  And I do not understand how this could be
accomplished in a program that is immediately learn-able, due to the
NUMEROUS facets that need to be controlled.

Again, I suggest that you give Ventura a try, with your Number 1 goal
being to overcome the initial mystification.  The problem is NOT any
inherent difficulty of Ventura; the problem IS an expectation that a
powerful formatting tool will come with a 5-minute learning curve.

I would anticipate that using Ventura on your existing manual would
provide you with the experience necessary to master the thing.  It
makes no sense to try to learn such a program by sitting down and reading
the manual.  Rather, you should start with your document and refer to
the manula and tutorial AS ISSUES arise, i.e., first get the paragraph
formatting done; then import your graphics; then tie the graphics to the text,
and so on.  Within a week or two, you'll be comfortable with it!

hope this helps (even though it's not what you asked for)

--
Russell Shackelford
School of Information and Computer Science

BL.JPL@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jonathan Lavigne) (07/19/89)

In article <1100@hydra.gatech.EDU>,
russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) writes:
>In article <8703@attctc.Dallas.TX.US>, rcj@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Robert Johnson) writes:
>> I need some help.  Our department at work has been producing ~200
>> page manuals recently.
>>          [Text ommitted]
>> Briefely, this is what I need:
>>
>>         1) Capability for >150pg documents.
>>         2) Lotus Freelance & Harvard Graphics compatability.
>>         3) Word Perfect compatibility (need I ask for this?!)
>>         4) Ease of use.
>>
>> I think that #4 is the real stickler here.  I have looked into Ventura,
>> and it definately does not addapt itself to ease of use from what I have
>> seen.
>
>I believe that you are on the verge of making a common-but-serious error,
>namely:
>
>Confusing "ease of use" with "ease of LEARNING to use".
>
>Specifically, I have some experience with Ventura and I have found it to
>be EXTREMELY easy to use .... once I "got a handle" on it.
>        [Much text omitted]

I agree completely.  All the articles and messages I've read suggest
that Ventura is by far the best PC program for doing long structured
documents -- unless perhaps you have a fast '386 machine with lots
of memory and can afford Interleaf.  I've been using Ventura on an
XT for over a year and I've found that, though the program offers a
wealth of possibilities, you can use it effectively without
necessarily mastering very many of them.  If you're not interested
in doing much design work on your own, there are ready-made style
sheets from various sources.  Also quite a few introductory books,
as well as classes, and users groups.  Personally, I've always
stayed away from programs that claim "ease of use".  It usually
means they don't do very much -- or least they don't do the things
you end up wanting them to do.
One great feature of Ventura is that it keeps your text files
separate from other files, so you can work on them in your favorite
word processor or in Ventura itself without have to import and
export files.  Right now I'm writing a 200 page manual and designing
a style sheet for it at the same time.  When I'm in the mood to
write, I can concentrate on that and when I want to see how things
look, I can load the files into Ventura and watch text get set up in
the proper margins, with the right fonts, and with rules and boxes
drawn where I want them.  If that isn't ease of use, I don't know
what is.
One area where Ventura doesn't excel is in creating complicated
graphics.  But my XT couldn't handle the program if it did do great
graphics, and, anyhow, Ventura is able to import graphics from most
PC graphics packages.

Jonathan Lavigne                 BL.JPL@RLG.STANFORD.EDU
Research Libraries Group
Stanford University

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (07/19/89)

>        1) Capability for >150pg documents.
>        2) Lotus Freelance & Harvard Graphics compatability.
>        3) Word Perfect compatibility (need I ask for this?!)
>        4) Ease of use.

There are two possible solutions that do NOT require a DTP
program. First switch to Lotus Manuscript which allows
you to insert Freelance and Harvard Graphics into your
text. The second is to get a graphics file conversion
routine (e.g. Hijaak from Inset) which will convert
Freelance and Harvard files into a format that
that Wordperfect will understand.

I use Wordperfect 5.0 to product documents that incorporate
both text and graphics. It is much much easier and faster
than using a DTP package. It is a clearly superior method
if the manual is subject to frequent changes. In this
situation, a DTP package is justified only if the manual
MUST be of the highest possible publication standards.
If the manual "only" needs to look professionally done then
WP 5.0 will do a perfectly good job.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
       dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (07/20/89)

> Robert Johnson writes:

> I need some help.  Our department at work has been producing ~200
> page manuals recently.  All of the work is done on computers (graphics
> on Lotus Freelance, and Harvard Graphics, and text on CEO (a word
> processing package on the Data General that I can download into
> wordperfect 5.0).  The only problem is that to combine the two, we are
> resorting to cutting and pasting the finished product together.  This,
> I feel, is rather pointless, and have begun looking into a good
> desktop publisher.  Briefely, this is what I need:
>
>         1) Capability for >150pg documents.
>         2) Lotus Freelance & Harvard Graphics compatability.
>         3) Word Perfect compatibility (need I ask for this?!)
>         4) Ease of use.

Unless there is something you are not telling us, WordPerfect 5.0
will do what you want all by itself, or with the addition of Hijaak
for file format translation. It has excellent desktop publishing
features.

> I think that #4 is the real stickler here.  I have looked into Ventura,
> and it definately does not addapt itself to ease of use from what I have
> seen.  Are there any other programs out there that do what I need?
> How about GEM/3 Desktop Publisher?  I need a braod survey of what's
> out there so I can make a good recomendation.

Ventura is not hard to use. It requires that you think like a layout
artist. That can be accomplished with some training. The trick is to
get training on layout rather than on Ventura. (You will need
Ventura training too.) The same applies to using WordPerfect 5.0 for
desktop publishing -- you need training in both layout and
WordPerfect.

If you can provide a USPS mail address, I will send you some info. I
can't usually email successfully outside AT&T.

Jim Winer ..!lzfme!jwi (201 899-0804eve/201 957-6068day)

Those persons who advocate censorship offend my religion.

Upuaut:	a wolf-headed Egyptian deity | Voodoo: the art of sticking ideas
	assigned as Guidance System  |         into people and watching
	for the Barque of Ra.        |         them bleed.

The opinions expressed here are not necessarily

casey@well.UUCP (Kathleen Creighton) (07/21/89)

I *also* use WordPerfect 5.0 for dtp, but I came very close to losing an
almost-finished 16-page newsletter (the file had become corrupted) which
was saved through sheer luck after an hour's work by a tech friend of
mine.  So I have so many caveats for using WP 5.0 for dtp that you might
as well bite the bullet and go with Ventura.  I know how *I* would proceed
with a 150-page manual in WP 5.0 (saving the original ASCII files, then
copying them for every single operation, such as editing, after that), but
I think that's entirely too much work for a project of this size.

The fundamental problem of WP 5.0 is that you *never know* where, when or
how a file is corrupted.  So take the easy way out and skip it.

jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (07/21/89)

Danny Low writes:

> I use Wordperfect 5.0 to product documents that incorporate
> both text and graphics. It is much much easier and faster
> than using a DTP package. It is a clearly superior method
> if the manual is subject to frequent changes. In this
> situation, a DTP package is justified only if the manual
> MUST be of the highest possible publication standards.
> If the manual "only" needs to look professionally done then
> WP 5.0 will do a perfectly good job.

I use both WordPerfect 5.0 and Ventura 2.0.  I disagree with the
above statement. Both are excellent programs, but they have slightly
different uses.

WordPerfect is better than Ventura for technical writing where you
are dealing primarily with text plus graphics -- that is where the
text is primary. I use WordPerfect for product manuals that are
primarily text. What WP does that is useful is to move the graphics
to follow the text and maintains the graphics position relative to
the text. (VP maintains the graphics position relative to the page.)
What WP is not good at is page layout. If you add text, the format
of pages changes. WP is also very poor for newsletter and magazine
layout because it cannot deal with multiple text streams that are
interleaved (i.e., "continued on page x").

Ventura is better than WordPerfect for situations where you are
dealing primarily with graphics plus text (note the reversal of
emphasis). I use Ventura for Picture-By-Picture how-to books and for
newsltters and magazines. In all of these cases, the page layout is
primary and the text must fit into it. In VP, the page is fixed and
the text moves while in WP the text is fixed and the page
moves. If you "anchor" a graphic to text in VP, it will move to the
page containing the text, but its position on the page will be
relative to the page (e.g., upper left corner) rather than relative
to the text (e.g., immediately following theparagraph in which it is
referenced).

Compared to this basic difference in philosophy, most of the other
differences between WP and VP are minor. They are both extremely
powerful. Incidently, Ventura is just as easy and fast as
WordPerfect, just different.

Pagemaker is another story. It is ideal for short brochures and
advertising, but falls down rather badly when you are dealing with
long documents. It is exactly what it's names says: page maker. (Now
if we had a book maker program....)

Jim Winer ..!lzfme!jwi (Usually unable to reply to email outside AT&T)

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (07/22/89)

>The fundamental problem of WP 5.0 is that you *never know* where, when or
>how a file is corrupted.  So take the easy way out and skip it.

This is a bug. It can be corrected. It may already be corrected.
WP makes bug fix releases every 2-3 months and it only costs $10
to get one. Bugs like this can show up in Ventura or Pagemaker or
any other complicated program. It is not a reason to avoid
WP 5.0.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
       dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

casey@well.UUCP (Kathleen Creighton) (07/23/89)

It doesn't *matter* that it's a "bug" or that WPCorp might eventually fix
it if you're working on a 150-page manuscript with a deadline.

mitch@arcturus.UUCP (Mitchell S. Gorman) (07/24/89)

casey@well.UUCP (Kathleen Creighton) writes:

>It doesn't *matter* that it's a "bug" or that WPCorp might eventually fix
>it if you're working on a 150-page manuscript with a deadline.

... And _I_ will bring up once again the sore point of software owners
having to pay for fixes.  Being a programmer myself, I am well aware that
"there is ALWAYS one more bug," but I think it's just a bit too mercenary
to charge someone for the correction to one of your own mistakes!

	Mitch @ Rockwell, Anaheim

	mitch@arcturus.UUCP

Disclaimer:	Of course, MY code NEVER has bugs...  ;^)

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (07/24/89)

>It doesn't *matter* that it's a "bug" or that WPCorp might eventually fix
>it if you're working on a 150-page manuscript with a deadline.

I agree that in the situation you were involved with, it does not matter
but for someone else consdiering WP it is only a cautionary
note to make sure the problem has been fixed. It is not a reason
for a flat out rejection of the product unless the bug is still there.

tom@mims-iris.uucp (Tom Haapanen) (07/25/89)

Kathleen Creighton <casey@well.UUCP> writes:

> I *also* use WordPerfect 5.0 for dtp, but I came very close to losing an
> almost-finished 16-page newsletter (the file had become corrupted) which
> was saved through sheer luck after an hour's work by a tech friend of
> mine.  So I have so many caveats for using WP 5.0 for dtp that you might
> as well bite the bullet and go with Ventura.

We have been using Ventura for over a year for all kinds of stuff, including
some 100-page manuals.  If I were to decide now, I think I'd go with
PageMaker instead, mainly for the following reasons:
	- PageMaker uses Windows instead of GEM.  We have a number of
	  packages using Windows, and it'd be nice to have a consistent
	  environment.
	- Ventura is *STUPID* and saves absolute pathnames in files.  This
	  makes it a royal pain to move your files to another directory,
	  another disk, or worse yet, another machine.  DUMB!
However, I'm not that familiar with the _PC_ PageMaker, it could have
some serious problems, too.  Can someone tell me what disadvantages
PageMaker has as compared to Ventura, if any?  (mail, please...)

					\tom haapanen
"now, you didn't really expect          tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu
 my views to have anything to do        watmims research group
 with my employer's, did you?"          university of waterloo

casey@well.UUCP (Kathleen Creighton) (07/26/89)

Mitch, WPCorp does not charge for upgrades that fix a bug you've encountered
if you tell them that you need it for a bug fix when you order it.  I
would not be able to get an upgrade to "fix" a corrupted file because I've
seen no evidence that the problem, which was introduced with 5.0, has been
fixed.  It seems to not be one problem but several.

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (07/26/89)

In article <5525@arcturus> mitch@arcturus.UUCP (Mitchell S. Gorman) writes:
>casey@well.UUCP (Kathleen Creighton) writes:
>>It doesn't *matter* that it's a "bug" or that WPCorp might eventually fix
>>it if you're working on a 150-page manuscript with a deadline.

>... And _I_ will bring up once again the sore point of software owners
>having to pay for fixes.  Being a programmer myself, I am well aware that
>"there is ALWAYS one more bug," but I think it's just a bit too mercenary
>to charge someone for the correction to one of your own mistakes!

WPCorp, and other "user friendly" companies (which excludes most big names)
will give you a free upgrade if you report a bug.  I have received three
WordPerfect 5.0 upgrades, and never paid a nickel (not even for the phone
calls, which were 800 numbers).  But there are other companies that you
can report bugs to and you never hear from them again until they want you
to send big bucks for an upgrade -- sometimes you can *YELL* at them, citing
them selling defective software, and get a free upgrade.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) (07/27/89)

In article <8703@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> rcj@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Robert Johnson) writes:
>How about GEM/3 Desktop Publisher?

GEM DTP is not suitable for large documents.  It's fine for four-page
newsletters, but it just isn't as easy to use or as powerful as
Ventura.  It also needs gobs of memory.  You usually have to remove
all GEM desk accessories and any large TSRs or device drivers to use
it.  I also believe it's too expensive for what it offers.  This may
sound strange coming from someone who works for the company that makes
it; I'm just telling it as I see it.

I use Borland Sprint for anything serious, like manuals that need an
index, table of contents, etc.  Sprint will import graphics, but only
if they are encapsulated PostScript.  You're probably best off
sticking with Word Perfect.
--
Mark Alexander	(amdahl!drivax!alexande)

doak@cadnetix.COM (Doak Heyser) (08/03/89)

In article <3223@watale.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>	- PageMaker uses Windows instead of GEM.  We have a number of
>	  packages using Windows, and it'd be nice to have a consistent
>	  environment.
As I understand it, Ventura will be available with a Windows interface Real
Soon Now.  You might contact the Xerox Corp. to confirm this.

>	- Ventura is *STUPID* and saves absolute pathnames in files.  This
>	  makes it a royal pain to move your files to another directory,
>	  another disk, or worse yet, another machine.  DUMB!
Ventura isn't what's dumb here.  From the options menu click on Multi_Chapter
and then select Copy All.  From here you can tell it where you want to copy
the whole chapter and it will even create a new subdirectory for you.  This
couldn't be made any easier!

Doak Heyser                     Internet : doak@cadnetix.com
Daisy/Cadnetix                  UUCP     : cadnetix!doak
5775 Flatirons Pkwy                        {nbires,boulder,ncar}!cadnetix!doak
Boulder, CO   80301