[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CGA Emulation for Hercules -- Autostart option needed

snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Jeffrey Harper) (08/02/89)

I have a CGA emulator for a Hercules Card called SIMCGA. The only problem
is that I can't keep the program in resident memory when trying to
start up a self-booting software that uses CGA graphics. The self-booting
software requires the system to be reset causing any program in memory
to be wiped out.

Question: Is there a program available that will emulate CGA and perform
a warm-start so the the software's bootstrap thinks that it is running
on a CGA system and how I can obtain it? I would prefer PD or Shareware.

Please respond via email to:

	snsrjth@nmt.edu

				- Thanks in advance.
					- Jeff -
					snsrjth@nmt.edu
|   snsrjth@nmt.edu        |      "A stitch in time takes up space."       |
|   {...!snsrjth@nmt.edu}  |          - The Doctor, "Dragonfire"           |

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (08/03/89)

In article <3056@nmtsun.nmt.edu> snsrjth@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Jeffrey Harper) writes:
>I have a CGA emulator for a Hercules Card called SIMCGA. The only problem
>is that I can't keep the program in resident memory when trying to
>start up a self-booting software that uses CGA graphics. The self-booting
>software requires the system to be reset causing any program in memory
>to be wiped out.
>
>Question: Is there a program available that will emulate CGA and perform
>a warm-start so the the software's bootstrap thinks that it is running
>on a CGA system and how I can obtain it? I would prefer PD or Shareware.

------------------------

I don't seem to be able to reach the author via email, so I will post
this with hopes he sees it.

I have used both simcga4.0 and simcga4.1. Both of these versions allow
you to warmboot programs (such as games) which are not DOS disks and
which must be booted in order to run. If my memory serves me right,
you do:

    simcga -s

and it will tell you to insert the program disk in drive A and
press enter, or some similar message.

You must not have the entire simcga package--it is distributed with
several other programs and a moderately useful readme file which does
document its various command-line switches.

good luck

Fred Smith
ulowell!cg-atla!fredex
ginosko!cg-atla!fredex