[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DeskView / QEMM

stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios valavanis) (07/27/89)

i don't know who posted the request for info but here it is anyway.  i
just installed DView on a couple of AST 386s here and there are a lot
of pluses and minuses.  first, it's easy to set it up if you just want
to get going but you definitely have to tweak it if you want to run
big programs etc.  the program i had probs with is excel.  i have to
run a run-time version of windows in a DView window.  anyway i found
that allocating 64k in the highest RAM (start from there or DV will
crash) will give you the most (577k) RAM for running programs.  i have
4meg on both these machines but you know this does no good for program
size (ye olde DOS limitations).  the BIG problem, however, is that
with QEMM installed, warm boots no longer work.  the 386s have a reset
button on front fortunately.  for my own use i'll stick to MS Windows
thank you.
stel

--
Bitnet:	stel%tank.uchicago.edu@uchimvs1.bitnet | i don't know
Internet: 		stel@tank.uchicago.edu | YOU don't know?

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (07/28/89)

Warm boots do work under Desqview with Qemm. I regularly run Windows/286
under Desqview.  A nice thing about Ctrl-Alt-Del under dv is that it simply
closes the window you are working on.  If you want a full warm boot, just
go to the dv command window and "Q"uit back to dos and do a Ctrl-Alt_delete
from there.  It's a fast  key tap sequence to get to DOS.  So don't rag on dv
in favor of windows/386.  I bagged my copy of windows/386 two weeks after I
got it.  I need the control dv provides.

-Paul J. Gyugyi
disclamer: Go ahead, blame my boss.  I'm self employed.

chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (07/28/89)

In article <3998@portia.Stanford.EDU> gyugyi@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) writes:
>Warm boots do work under Desqview with Qemm. I regularly run Windows/286
>under Desqview.  A nice thing about Ctrl-Alt-Del under dv is that it simply
>closes the window you are working on.  If you want a full warm boot, just
>go to the dv command window and "Q"uit back to dos and do a Ctrl-Alt_delete
>from there.  It's a fast  key tap sequence to get to DOS.  So don't rag on dv
>in favor of windows/386.  I bagged my copy of windows/386 two weeks after I
>got it.  I need the control dv provides.

If I remember correctly, CTRL-SHIFT-DEL is used for warm boot under Desqview.
It's in the manual.

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (07/28/89)

In article <3998@portia.Stanford.EDU> gyugyi@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) writes:
]Warm boots do work under Desqview with Qemm.
]A nice thing about Ctrl-Alt-Del under dv is that it simply
]closes the window you are working on.  If you want a full warm boot, just
]go to the dv command window and "Q"uit back to dos and do a Ctrl-Alt_delete
]from there.

	Within Desqview, CTRL-SHIFT-DEL reboots the complete system
	just as CTRL-ALT-DEL does from dos.  It is in the manual...

	-randy

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

wilson@shapetc.UUCP (Tony Wilson) (07/28/89)

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) writes:

>Warm boots do work under Desqview with Qemm. I regularly run Windows/286
>under Desqview.  A nice thing about Ctrl-Alt-Del under dv is that it simply
>closes the window you are working on.  If you want a full warm boot, just
>go to the dv command window and "Q"uit back to dos and do a Ctrl-Alt_delete
>from there.

You can also do a Ctrl-Shift-Del from within DesqView to reboot the
whole machine.

--
Tony Wilson (News Administrator)                 wilson@issun3.stc.nl,  or
SHAPE Technical Centre, The Hague, NL            ...!hp4nl!shapetc!wilson

stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios valavanis) (08/02/89)

In article <3998@portia.Stanford.EDU> gyugyi@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) writes:
>Warm boots do work under Desqview with Qemm. I regularly run Windows/286
>under Desqview.  A nice thing about Ctrl-Alt-Del under dv is that it simply
>closes the window you are working on.  If you want a full warm boot, just
>go to the dv command window and "Q"uit back to dos and do a Ctrl-Alt_delete

i meant that ctr-alt-del doesn't work (just hangs) from DOS not from
DV.  the problem is with QEMM and i know others who have this problem.
i haven't spent too much time trying to figure it out but i may just
call the DV people.  any suggestions?
--

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (08/03/89)

In article <4778@tank.uchicago.edu> stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios  valavanis) writes:
>i meant that ctr-alt-del doesn't work (just hangs) from DOS not from
>DV.  the problem is with QEMM and i know others who have this problem.
>i haven't spent too much time trying to figure it out but i may just
>call the DV people.  any suggestions?

I do remember a warning about caching or not caching some roms, warning
that CTrl-Alt-Deletes may not work.  Check the QEMM manual and look for
it.  Are you specifying ROM on the qemm.sys line?
-Paul Gyugyi

slin@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Steven Philip Lin) (08/03/89)

I have a question about QEMM.

I have an old 16 Mhz Compaq Deskpro and am trying to get QEMM to recognize
the top 384K in my first megabyte of memory.  What command line options are
there, if any, that will allow QEMM to reclaim this extra bit of useful
memory?  I am told that this 384k usually sits very high in the address
space (near the 16 Megabyte area) and is not normally recognized as extended
memory.  It's usually used to shadow the system and EGA BIOS.
     There are other expanded memory managers that will successfully reclaim
this memory.  386max by Qualitas and Micemm by Micronics will recognize the
top 384k but lack the capabilities to take advantage of Desqview's screen
virtualization and other 386 only enhancement.

JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (08/04/89)

> i meant that ctr-alt-del doesn't work (just hangs) from DOS not from
> DV.  the problem is with QEMM and i know others who have this problem.
> i haven't spent too much time trying to figure it out but i may just
> call the DV people.  any suggestions?
> --

  I have been using DesqView for nearly two years started from v1.0
and now using v2.25 w/ QEMM 386.  There are some bugs and some
compatibility problems with certain software packages,  but I haven't
seen the warm-boot problem.
  We recently installed DV in 10 386-based computers (different brands
with clock rates of 16MHz to 33MHz).  We had problem with 3 of these
units.  When running DV, they will hang up and keyboards are completely
disabled, so without hardware reset we cannot go anywhere.  After talking
to several vendors,  we found out that the Award BIOS v3.03 (which were
installed in the 3 units) was not compatible with DV (there maybe a
new question: is it compatible with OS/2 etc.?).
  We replaced the ROM BIOS with Phoenix BIOS (386 plus v1.10 00), then
everything went to normal. We haven't had any problems since.
  I am not sure what exactly the problem with Award BIOS is and if
there are some other incompatible BIOSes, but I haven't had any problem
running DV with Phoenix and AMI BIOS.

Qiwu Liu
University of Kansas