[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 286 BIOS question

as2d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alan Henry Stein) (07/26/89)

I am in the process of buying a 286 (20MHz) motherboard and have a question
as to which BIOS I should get.  Any opinions on Pheonix/AMI/Award???

alan

g-tookey@rocky.cs.wisc.edu. (Richard Schaut) (07/27/89)

In article <QYnRU-y00UzxE1Aqw3@andrew.cmu.edu> as2d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alan Henry Stein) writes:
>I am in the process of buying a 286 (20MHz) motherboard and have a question
>as to which BIOS I should get.  Any opinions on Pheonix/AMI/Award???
>
>alan

I wouldn't think of buying a "compatible" without Phoenix.  I don't know,
however, if the Phoenix has problems at 20MHz.

BTW are you aware that Intel does NOT warrant the 80286 for anything
beyond 12.5 MHz?  Those who sell 20 MHz 286's field test them at that
speed for a period of time, and if nothing goes wrong they call it a
20 MHz CPU.  I would want to know EVERYTHING about how a particular
machine was tested before plunking down any bucks on it.

Rick
Please send e-mail to:
schaut@madnix.UUCP
ArpaNet: madnix!schaut@cs.wisc.edu
UseNet: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!schaut
             {decvax!att}!

Madison: an alternative to reality

I am posting this through a friend's account.  His consent to my use of his
account in no way implies his consent to responsibility for the opinions
expressed herein.

astieber@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (07/27/89)

In article <8009@spool.cs.wisc.edu> g-tookey@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (Richard Schaut) writes:
>BTW are you aware that Intel does NOT warrant the 80286 for anything
>beyond 12.5 MHz?  Those who sell 20 MHz 286's field test them at that
>speed for a period of time, and if nothing goes wrong...

Harris and AMD both second source the 80286.  They may very well
produce chips rated for speeds greater than 13.5MHz.  At least one
produces a CMOS version that would run cooler at the higher speeds
even if it wasn't rated for that speed.
--
Tony Stieber	 astieber@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	 att!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!astieber
	  Nancy Reagan on cursor positioning: Just say Home!

rogers@falcon.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (07/27/89)

In article <8009@spool.cs.wisc.edu> g-tookey@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (Richard Schaut) writes:
>I wouldn't think of buying a "compatible" without Phoenix.  I don't know,
>however, if the Phoenix has problems at 20MHz.

>BTW are you aware that Intel does NOT warrant the 80286 for anything
>beyond 12.5 MHz?  Those who sell 20 MHz 286's field test them at that
>speed for a period of time, and if nothing goes wrong they call it a
>20 MHz CPU.  I would want to know EVERYTHING about how a particular
>machine was tested before plunking down any bucks on it.

Right. Intel doesn't want anything to compete with it's 386.
Harris has been shipping 80286's rated for 16Mhz and 20Mhz for some
time, and 25Mhz 80286's are just hitting the streets.
  Intel has not been happy with harris as a result of this, plus
the fact that Harris parts are cheaper [at least for comparable speeds].
  Second sourcing is a wonderful thing, now somebody needs to second
source 80386 or 80486 parts.

 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
       612-782-7737                use this address if your reply bounces

In article <26458@srcsip.UUCP> rogers@falcon.UUCP (Brynn Rogers) writes:
>In article <8009@spool.cs.wisc.edu> g-tookey@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (Richard Schaut) writes:
>>I wouldn't think of buying a "compatible" without Phoenix.  I don't know,
>>however, if the Phoenix has problems at 20MHz.
>
>>BTW are you aware that Intel does NOT warrant the 80286 for anything
>>beyond 12.5 MHz?  Those who sell 20 MHz 286's field test them at that
>>speed for a period of time, and if nothing goes wrong they call it a
>>20 MHz CPU.  I would want to know EVERYTHING about how a particular
>>machine was tested before plunking down any bucks on it.
>
>Right. Intel doesn't want anything to compete with it's 386.

The 286 can compete with the 386?  If the only thing that the 386
has over the 286 is speed, then Intel does have a problem with
second sourcing.  But try telling someone running MS Windows/386 that
the 386 DOESN'T have anything more than speed over the 286.

In article <8014@spool.cs.wisc.edu> g-tookey@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (Richard Schaut) writes:
>In article <26458@srcsip.UUCP> rogers@falcon.UUCP (Brynn Rogers(me)) writes:
>>Right. Intel doesn't want anything to compete with it's 386.

>The 286 can compete with the 386?  If the only thing that the 386
>has over the 286 is speed, then Intel does have a problem with
>second sourcing.  But try telling someone running MS Windows/386 that
>the 386 DOESN'T have anything more than speed over the 286.

A 12 Mhz 286 can't compete with a 386.
A 20 Mhz 286 Benchmarks AS WELL AS a 20 Mhz 386 for MSDOS ONLY applications

As long as you stay in the Realm of MSDOS, a 386 does not get you
anything extra over a 286 except future possibilites or Desqview or
Windows 386 which are almost operating systems themselves.

Sure I would rather have a 386, but I can't afford it yet, although low
end 386's and high end 286's are dropping in price fast.
   (and XT motherboards are selling for $89)

 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
       612-782-7737                use this address if your reply bounces

as2d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alan Henry Stein) (07/27/89)

The motherboard I just bought came with a full 20mhz 286 chipset.  The
processor was a 20MHz Harris CMOS 286 and the AT chipset was the Chips and
Technology NEAT set(all chips rated at 20MHZ).  My main question was that
the board came with AMI bios.  The companies ad said it came with Pheonix.
They said they would replace the BIOS if I wanted.  I was just wondering
whether I should.

thanks,
alan

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (07/29/89)

In article <8009@spool.cs.wisc.edu> g-tookey@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (Richard Schaut) writes:
|BTW are you aware that Intel does NOT warrant the 80286 for anything
|beyond 12.5 MHz?  Those who sell 20 MHz 286's field test them at that

You mean Intel does not warrant the 80286s made by Intel for speeds
beyond 12.5 MHz. There are other places to buy 80286s.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"The government is not your mother."

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (07/30/89)

A 286 will always run a hair faster than a 386 that are at equal clock speeds
the reason being that the 286 has a smaller microcode than a 386.  But of
course, you have all of these nice things that a 386 can do that a 286 can't
even think about doing.  The bottom line is...do I really need the 32-bit
power of a 386?  If all you're running is DOS...then no.  But if you're
running something along the lines of Unix, then yes, you need a 386SX minimum.
The fact that Sun never produced a 286 workstation is proof to me that the 286
can't handle Unix effectively.  The problem is with the brain damaged nature
of the 286.  Just loading a descriptor table is a very expensive operation and
interrupt handling is slower than in real mode.  But the other side of the
coin, a high speed 286 can make a decent file server under SCO Xenix.  But I
would never use a 286 based machine as a work station.

 /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
  * Flames: /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
  * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
  * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
  * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
  *--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (08/03/89)

In article <8009@spool.cs.wisc.edu> g-tookey@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (Richard Schaut) writes:

>BTW are you aware that Intel does NOT warrant the 80286 for anything
>beyond 12.5 MHz?  Those who sell 20 MHz 286's field test them at that

Nobody sells 20 mHz 80286 machines with Intel CPU's. The 16 and 20 mHz
chips are certified at those speeds by the manufacturer, Harris
Semiconductor, who has been producing 80286 chips under license
from Intel.

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          ...!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP   CIS:70346,1745

james@raid.dell.com (James Van Artsdalen) (08/05/89)

In <8009@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, g-tookey@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (Richard Schaut) wrote:

> BTW are you aware that Intel does NOT warrant the 80286 for anything
> beyond 12.5 MHz?

This is correct.  Intel does not warrant their 286s past 12.5MHz, and
does not warrant other manufacturer's 286s at all.

> Those who sell 20 MHz 286's field test them at that speed for a
> period of time, and if nothing goes wrong they call it a 20 MHz CPU.

Interesting claim.  No basis in fact.  Other manufacturers of the 286
have had little trouble fabricating 20MHz 286s.  It is more a matter
of will than skill: Intel has powerful reasons for not wanting to see
fast 286s: they compete with the proprietary 386.

It is entirely possible to test for the speed of a particular part if
the critical timing paths of the part are known.  A manufacturer can
test for speeds with confidence if desired.

> I would want to know EVERYTHING about how a particular machine was
> tested before plunking down any bucks on it.

Then ask.  Presumably most manufacturers can answer.  We burn in and
test each machine for several hours.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@raid.dell.com       "Live Free or Die"
DCC Corporation       9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759       512-338-8789