[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Microsoft Mouse Question

as2d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alan Henry Stein) (08/01/89)

I can't find my microsoft mouse documentation, so if you have yours lying
around, maybe you can help me out.

I have a Microsoft bus mouse which was in a PC clone.  Now, I am moving it
to an AT clone.  I know I have to reset the jumpers (especially the interrupt
setting).  Can anyone tell me what the jumpers should be set to?

(There are three set if I remember.  One sets either Primary or Secondary
inport.  One set the interrupt level. and one sets something else).

Any help is appreciated.
thanks,
alan

g-tookey@rocky.cs.wisc.edu. (Richard Schaut) (08/01/89)

In article <cYpQ=5y00Uh-A1HX0Z@andrew.cmu.edu> as2d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alan Henry Stein) writes:
>I have a Microsoft bus mouse which was in a PC clone.  Now, I am moving it
>to an AT clone.  I know I have to reset the jumpers (especially the interrupt
>setting).  Can anyone tell me what the jumpers should be set to?
>
>(There are three set if I remember.  One sets either Primary or Secondary
>inport.  One set the interrupt level. and one sets something else).

There are, indeed, three jumpers (j2, j3 & j4).  j3 is the Primary
Secondary jumper, I assume you don't have to worry about it.  j2 (the
one you couldnt remember) is for slot 8 in an XT.  For the AT, that
jumper should be on the bottom two pins.  j4, then, sets the interrupt
level, and the exact setting depends upon your equipment list:

	if you have		do NOT use level
	    AT				2
	    PC w/fixed disk		5
	    XT				5
	    Async Comm Adapter
	    (1st serial port)		4
	    Binary Synch Comm Adapter
	    (1st serial port)		4 or 3
	    Synchronous Data Link Control
	    (SDLC card)			4 or 3
	    Async Comm Adapter
	    (2nd serial port)		3
	    IBM EGA			2
	    IBM Network Adapter		2

Whatever your equipment list, on an AT your safest is interrupt level 5.
If your jumper is not labeled, the interrupt leves ascend as you move
through the pins from left to right (leftmost = IL2, rightmost = IL5).

Rick
Please send e-mail to:
schaut@madnix.UUCP
ArpaNet: madnix!schaut@cs.wisc.edu
UseNet: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!schaut
             {decvax!att}!

Madison: an alternative to reality

I am posting this through a friend's account.  His consent to my use of his
account in no way implies his consent to responsibility for the opinions
expressed herein.

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (08/02/89)

In article <cYpQ=5y00Uh-A1HX0Z@andrew.cmu.edu> as2d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alan Henry Stein) writes:
<
<I have a Microsoft bus mouse which was in a PC clone.  Now, I am moving it
<to an AT clone.  I know I have to reset the jumpers (especially the interrupt
<setting).  Can anyone tell me what the jumpers should be set to?
<
<(There are three set if I remember.  One sets either Primary or Secondary
<inport.  One set the interrupt level. and one sets something else).

Only the interrupt jumper needs to be moved.  Change it from 5 to 2, or from
2 to 5.  I forget which is which, but whatever it is now, you change it to
the other number that I mention.  Whenever I put in the MS bus mouse into
the Compaq machines at where I used to work, I always had to change the
jumper, since it was set for the XT class machine.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (08/02/89)

From article <8062@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, by g-tookey@rocky.cs.wisc.edu. (Richard Schaut):
> 	if you have		do NOT use level
> 	    PC w/fixed disk		5
> 	    XT				5
> 	    Async Comm Adapter
> 	    (1st serial port)		4
> 	    Async Comm Adapter
> 	    (2nd serial port)		3
> 	    IBM EGA			2

I have an EGA-equipped XT clone (with hard drive)... does this mean that as
long as I have a bus mouse, that I can't get a second serial port?

(Of course, what would I do with two serial ports anyhow?)

More babble to waste bandwidth so that the posting program doesn't complain.

Eat cheese or die.  :-)
---
	... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska    <ho@fergvax.unl.edu>

g-tookey@rocky.cs.wisc.edu. (Richard Schaut) (08/04/89)

In article <1306@unocss.UUCP> ho@fergvax.unl.edu writes:
>From article <8062@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, by g-tookey@rocky.cs.wisc.edu. (Richard Schaut):
>> 	if you have		do NOT use level
>> 	    PC w/fixed disk		5
>> 	    XT				5
>> 	    Async Comm Adapter
>> 	    (1st serial port)		4
>> 	    Async Comm Adapter
>> 	    (2nd serial port)		3
>> 	    IBM EGA			2
>
>I have an EGA-equipped XT clone (with hard drive)... does this mean that as
>long as I have a bus mouse, that I can't get a second serial port?
>
>(Of course, what would I do with two serial ports anyhow?)

A second serial port would certainly eliminate the last interrupt level
available for the bus mouse (BTW I took the above table directly out
of the Microsoft Mouse User's Guide).  As for configurations that
would require both a mouse and two serial ports, try a CADD system
with a serial plotter and a serial field data collector interface
(ala Engineers and Land Surveyors). YARTBAT (Yet Another Reason To
Buy an AT :-)).

>Eat cheese or die.  :-)

You've GOT to be from Wisconsin.

Rick
Please send e-mail to:
schaut@madnix.UUCP
ArpaNet: madnix!schaut@cs.wisc.edu
UseNet: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!schaut
             {decvax!att}!

Madison: an alternative to reality

I am posting this through a friend's account.  His consent to my use of his
account in no way implies his consent to responsibility for the opinions
expressed herein.

tim@j.cc.purdue.edu (Timothy Lange) (08/04/89)

Using a bus mouse set at IRQ=2 and having an EGA card may work,
depends on the EGA card and whether it actually uses IRQ=2.  My wife
has used a bus mouse set at 2 with the Zenith EGA (made by Sigma??)
for over two years without a problem.  She uses the mouse intensively.

Tim.
--
Tim Lange.

Purdue U. Computing Center/MATH Bldg./W. Lafayette, IN  47907/317-494-1787
Arpanet=tim@j.cc.purdue.edu        CIS=75410,525        Bitnet=TIM@PURCCVM

ingridt@microsoft.UUCP (Ingrid Tenggren) (08/05/89)

In article <cYpQ=5y00Uh-A1HX0Z@andrew.cmu.edu> as2d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Alan Henry Stein) writes:

>I can't find my microsoft mouse documentation, so if you have yours lying
>around, maybe you can help me out.
>
>I have a Microsoft bus mouse which was in a PC clone.  Now, I am moving it
>to an AT clone.  I know I have to reset the jumpers (especially the interrupt
>setting).  Can anyone tell me what the jumpers should be set to?

>thanks,
>alan
Since I updated the last Mouse manual, I spoze I can offer a response:

I recommend you use either pair 5 or 3. Do NOT use 2. I'm assuming you
do not have a Network card of any kind in there; sometimes they have
their own weirdnesses...if you do, then check the documentation for
that card to find out what jumper it likes/doesn't like.

ingrid johanna tenggren
Microsoft's Real Swede
{...uunet!microsof!ingridt}