[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Asked before: keeping computer vertical

nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) (06/29/89)

My Seagate manual says its ok to stand their drives on their sides, but if
you stand their drives on its face or its end, the warranty is void.

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (07/23/89)

Over the weekend I bought the AT that Adam Erickson had advertised over
the net.  He had the system unit nicely stored vertically under his
desk, as I know many people do.  This certainly seems attractive and
convenient, but can it be a hazard to the disk or anything? It will soon
have two Seagate drives in it.

--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (08/03/89)

In article <2209@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

| Over the weekend I bought the AT that Adam Erickson had advertised over
| the net.  He had the system unit nicely stored vertically under his

  You're right it has been discussed before, but it's a good thing to
bring up from time to time. Hard disks are rated to run flat or
vertical. For best reliability do a low level format in the desired
operating position.

  From experience: don't block the air flow, and some marginal cards may
run too warm vertical, since convection doesn't lift hot air away from
the boards quite as well. This is not a problem with well designed boards.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

>Item 4706 (0 responses) by du at bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu on Wed 02 Aug 89
>15:42
>[Cliff Joslyn]    Subject: Asked before: keeping computer vertical
>
>Over the weekend I bought the AT that Adam Erickson had advertised over
>the net.  He had the system unit nicely stored vertically under his
>desk, as I know many people do.  This certainly seems attractive and
>convenient, but can it be a hazard to the disk or anything? It will soon
>have two Seagate drives in it.

(Low level) format the drives while the case is in the vertical position, and
ALWAYS give the system 30 minutes or so of power-on before you do a low-level
format.

If you do this, you'll not have any problems.  We have three machines in
this orientation in our offices, and I have one at my apartment, and have
had no problem with it.....

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

bruce@tolerant.UUCP (Bruce Hochuli) (08/04/89)

In article <[24d7961b:4706.1]comp.ibmpc;1@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>Item 4706 (0 responses) by du at bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu on Wed 02 Aug 89
>>15:42
>>[Cliff Joslyn]    Subject: Asked before: keeping computer vertical
>
>If you do this, you'll not have any problems.  We have three machines in
>this orientation in our offices, and I have one at my apartment, and have
>had no problem with it.....

One possible exception to this happiness is some tape drives. I was told by
a sales person that Teac 60 MB tapes do not like running on their sides.
Ordinarily I don't pay a lot of attention to sales people but I had toasted
another tape unit earlier and I know this sales person to be quite sharp.
Might be fear and superstition, but I keep my tapes horizontal now.

keithm@wicat.UUCP (Keith McQueen) (08/05/89)

In article <2209@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>Over the weekend I bought the AT that Adam Erickson had advertised over
>the net.  He had the system unit nicely stored vertically under his
>desk, as I know many people do.  This certainly seems attractive and
>convenient, but can it be a hazard to the disk or anything? It will soon
>have two Seagate drives in it.

Modern hard disk drives are quite happy in either a horizontal or
vertical position.  For best results, you should do the low-level
format of a disk drive in the position that it will be used in.

In other words, go ahead and run it vertically, but when you add
your other disk drive(s), format them with the machine in a vertical
position.

BTW hard disks are generally NOT happy tilted more than a few
degrees from straight horizontal or straight vertical.

| Keith McQueen, Wicat Systems Inc. , (801)224-6605 | My opinions are |
| N7HMF @ NV7V (84058), 147.34+, 449.675-           | all mine...     |