[comp.sys.ibm.pc] need bar code label generator

terry@joshua.math.ucla.edu (08/02/89)

possibly necessary apology:  our news-posting program is acting a
bit funny.  i may have posted this more than once to this group,
but i never seem to see the articles ... this is the last one ...
sorry ...

Hi, everyone.  I am looking for a program that will produce bar code
labels -- the bars themselves as well as alphanumerics on the same
label.  Preferably this would be PD or shareware; if not, something
under $100.

Possible hardware platforms are Sun 3/50s, 1/50s, Mac I or II,
and IBM PC/XT/AT.  Printers can be HP Laserjet I/II, Mac Imagewriters,
or IBM Proprinters.

If you have any suggestions or information, please send your response
via e-mail.  I will post a summary to the appropriate newsgroups.
Thanks!

Terry McKiernan
terry@math.ucla.edu

Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (08/05/89)

> From: terry@joshua.math.ucla.edu
> Date: 2 Aug 89 16:21:11 GMT
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
>
> Hi, everyone.  I am looking for a program that will produce
> bar code
> labels -- the bars themselves as well as alphanumerics on
> the same
> label.  Preferably this would be PD or shareware; if not,
> something
> under $100.
>
> Possible hardware platforms are Sun 3/50s, 1/50s, Mac I or
> II,
> and IBM PC/XT/AT.  Printers can be HP Laserjet I/II, Mac
> Imagewriters,
> or IBM Proprinters.
>
> If you have any suggestions or information, please send your
> response
> via e-mail.  I will post a summary to the appropriate
> newsgroups.
> Thanks!
>

> Terry McKiernan
> terry@math.ucla.edu
I recently had a similar requirement and did several days research on the subject.  The best advice I could give is to check out something called SymBCG from a company named Symbologic (17017 Jeanette Ave.  Cerritos, Ca.). I don't have their phone number handy but I originally found out about them from one of the small ads in the back of Byte where you can presumably look it up too.  This is not free, but for $79 you get source code in C for Interleaved 2 of 5, Code 39, Codabar, EAN, and UPC.  The source c

ode is royalty free.  It does not do alphanumeric labelling but you can add that since you get source (I added it in my application).
I am not a bar code expert and can't testify that the output meets all of the rigorous bar code standards, but I am so far a reasonably satisfied customer. The other solutions that I found that would work were much more expensive, so I bought this package with the idea that $79 wasn't a whole bunch to loose if it wasn't any good, and I was pleasantly surprised to get something that seemed to work quite well.

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!14.8!Howard.Spindel