[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Increase hard disk size w/ compression

peteru@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Peter Uchytil) (08/01/89)

Whoa, hold the phone!  Someone just told me of some equipment you can get
to increase the capacity of your hard disk.  This equipment consists of
a couple processors and it basically does compression/decompression
REALLY FAST on the data.  Sounds very cool.  Yeah, I'm suffering from the
common hi-tech syndrome.  "I want more! faster, smaller, better, (cheaper)"
Does anyone know of any products out there that do this?  I'm sure they
exist, but who makes them (and how much (I'm a college student))?  Thanks
a lot!

Pete
peteru@icarus.pen.tek.com

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (08/01/89)

Your suspicions are correct -- there is no free lunch.  Greater compression
means less redundancy, means HIGHER ERROR RATES for magnetic media (gross
generalization -- well, maybe not so gross...)

Media which use extremely high densities must use more, not less bits, to
represent the same amount of data -- and interleave it to protect against
burst errors.

--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors@well.sf.ca.us

dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) (08/02/89)

In article <4590@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> peteru@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Peter Uchytil) writes:

>Whoa, hold the phone!  Someone just told me of some equipment you can get
>to increase the capacity of your hard disk.  This equipment consists of
A year or two ago I had a board that gave me ~3 times the capacity of my
ST238. It was called the KXP-230Z from Konan Corporation in Tempe, Arizona.
It required about 8k of DOS memory to use as a look up table. It also requires
that you "partition" your disk in their format. I loved it. The ONLY reason
that I had to give it up was that there was no support software for it like
Norton Utilities. In a production environment, I sometimes mess up and erase
a file that I shouldn't have. Norton Utilities (unerase) thought that the
file was recoevered, but it wasn't. Maybe they have tools for it now. If I
remember correctly, it cost ~$250. I don't know what they go for now, or if
they're still in business. I also tried it on an "80MB disk and ended up
with about 8 logical 30MB drives. As I said, it worked great and is fast.

----
Doug Marshall   <Doug.Marshall@SanDiego.NCR.COM>
+1 619 485 3494 <...!ncr-sd!palomar!dougm>
"All of us is smarter than each of us!"

dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) (08/03/89)

Gordon.Stewart@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Gordon Stewart) (08/05/89)

--