[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Word Processing of Katakana characters

djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (08/03/89)

easier way to translate English texts into Katakana (sp?) characters.
Is there a word processing package that runs on PC-compatible machines
or a dedicated hardware/software solution that can handle a Katakana
keyboard and the resulting (script) characters?

Any leads at all (email, since this is a rather narrow topic) would be
appreciated.  Particularly if any of you know someone on Taiwan who
could help my uncle out, as he is what we call a "naive" user of such
machines.  A long shot, but the net usually comes through!  Thanks so much..

-Dick O'Connor     djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/03/89)

In article <3074@blake.acs.washington.edu> djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) writes:
>easier way to translate English texts into Katakana (sp?) characters.
>Is there a word processing package that runs on PC-compatible machines
>or a dedicated hardware/software solution that can handle a Katakana
>keyboard and the resulting (script) characters?
>
>Any leads at all (email, since this is a rather narrow topic) would be
>appreciated.  Particularly if any of you know someone on Taiwan who
>could help my uncle out, as he is what we call a "naive" user of such
>machines.  A long shot, but the net usually comes through!  Thanks so much..

This should have been posted to sci.lang.japan.  Since it is an
esoteric subject (not in absoute terms, just relative to the
ethnocentric orientation of this group), I'll only summarize here.

Several word-processors can deal with katakana.  WP (WordPerfect) is
one.

Katakana only texts are a pain in the buns to read.

There are several full-blown Japanese word processors for PeeCees.
The best is probably EW+.  Costing $850, it handles not just katakana,
hiragana, but also the roughy 6000 characters of the first and second
standard kanji (character) sets.

Someone on Taiwan should be able to contact an importer an acquire a
dedicated Japanese word processor (unless the KMT has some ideological
hangup about these).  For roughly $800, your uncle should be able to
get something like my Nec Mini 5gx word processor:  6000+ characters,
70000+ dictionary, 1 disk drive, 24 x 24 dot kanji printer, etc.

Assuming your uncle is old enough to have lived under the Japanese
colonial occupation, he should know more than katakana.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

(bitnet) ehkinmonth@ucdavis.edu
(uucp) ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck
(telnet or 916-752-7920) cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	request ucdked, login as guest,
	no password

Dick.O'Connor@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Dick O'Connor) (08/06/89)

--