[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Lharc vs Lhice

cth_co@tekno.chalmers.se (CHRISTER OLSSON) (07/31/89)

I saw a version of Lharc named LH114. But it's Lharc 1.13c with the
extension LZH renamed to ICE. The main program now named ICE instead for
LHARC. Is that an official release of the lharc-compression program?

The difference between ICE.EXE and LHARC.EXE is 10 bytes. I don't think
any virus and trojans can take so small place...

ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (08/02/89)

From article <877@tekno.chalmers.se>, by cth_co@tekno.chalmers.se (CHRISTER OLSSON):
> I saw a version of Lharc named LH114. But it's Lharc 1.13c with the
> extension LZH renamed to ICE. The main program now named ICE instead for
> LHARC. Is that an official release of the lharc-compression program?
>
> The difference between ICE.EXE and LHARC.EXE is 10 bytes. I don't think
> any virus and trojans can take so small place...

I've seen it too;  it looks legit.  My guess is that Yoshi got threatened
by the ARC (tm - my foot) vultures.

Of course, I have no evidence to this effect, other than their past record
(GSARC -> PAK, PKARC -> PKPAK, SHARC -> SHEZ)... LHARC -> LHICE seems in
keeping with that venerable tradition.  Either that, or Yoshi doesn't
*want* to be associated with the vultures, and switched voluntarily.

I don't see why he changed LZH to ICE, though;  even SEA would have found
LZH acceptable, I would think.
---
	... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska    <ho@fergvax.unl.edu>

rwh@me.utoronto.ca (Russell Herman) (08/03/89)

In article <1300@unocss.UUCP> ho@fergvax.unl.edu writes:
>From article <877@tekno.chalmers.se>, by cth_co@tekno.chalmers.se (CHRISTER OLSSON):
>> I saw a version of Lharc named LH114. But it's Lharc 1.13c with the
>> extension LZH renamed to ICE. The main program now named ICE instead for
>> LHARC. Is that an official release of the lharc-compression program?
>
>I've seen it too;  it looks legit.  My guess is that Yoshi got threatened
>by the ARC (tm - my foot) vultures.

Yesterday there was a posting on one of Toronto's major BBSs that this is
**NOT** legit - just someone's idea of a gag...

Russ Herman
INTERNET: rwh@me.utoronto.ca  UUCP: ..uunet!utai!me!rwh

jack.bzoza@canremote.uucp (JACK BZOZA) (08/06/89)

> I saw a version of Lharc named LH114. But it's Lharc 1.13c with the
> extension LZH renamed to ICE. The main program now named ICE

LH114 IS NOT AN AUTHORIZED RELEASE OF LHARC !!!!
         ---

---
 * QDeLuxe 1.10 #168  Be <C>hatting with you....