[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help needed in making a serial printer cable.

0rrodrig@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Russ Rodriguez) (08/01/89)

I am in need of directions on how to connect the 25-pin printer port
on an IBM PS2 model 70 to a serial printer interface on a printer.  I was
under the impression that it worked this way:

1 ----------> 1
2 ----------> 3
3 ----------> 2
4 ----------> 20
5 not used
6 ----------> 11
7 ----------> 7
8-10 not used
11 ---------> 6
12-19 not used
20 ---------> 4
21-25 not used

Unfortunately for me, this doesn't work at all.  Any help would be
appreciated, including good text references to this information.

Russell Rodriguez
Disclaimer:   The opinions of Russ Rodriguez are his own and don't necessarily
          reflect those of CIMFLEX/Teknowledge, Inc., of Palo Alto, California
internet:  0rrodrig@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!0rrodrig%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
home:	   2420 Slater Street, Santa Rosa, CA., 95404-2143 Phone: 707-546-7612

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (08/01/89)

In article <28202@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> 0rrodrig@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Russ Rodriguez) writes:
<I am in need of directions on how to connect the 25-pin printer port
<on an IBM PS2 model 70 to a serial printer interface on a printer.  I was
<under the impression that it worked this way:
<
<1 ----------> 1
<2 ----------> 3
<3 ----------> 2
<4 ----------> 20
<5 not used
<6 ----------> 11
<7 ----------> 7
<8-10 not used
<11 ---------> 6
<12-19 not used
<20 ---------> 4
<21-25 not used
<
<Unfortunately for me, this doesn't work at all.  Any help would be
<appreciated, including good text references to this information.

You're right, it wouldn't work.  The key word here is "printer" port.  You
have to connect to a "serial" port.  The printer port is a Centronics type
connection (parallel) that is NOT compatable with the serial connection
needed.  The printer port can be easily found in that it is the 25 pin
female "D" connector.

If you are currently using the serial port on your system, you will need
to add another one.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

mike@relgyro.stanford.edu (Mike Macgirvin) (08/02/89)

In article <2479@astroatc.UUCP> brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>In article <28202@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> 0rrodrig@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Russ Rodriguez) writes:
><I am in need of directions on how to connect the 25-pin printer port
><on an IBM PS2 model 70 to a serial printer interface on a printer.  I was
><under the impression that it worked this way:
><1 ----------> 1
><2 ----------> 3
><3 ----------> 2
><4 ----------> 20
><5 not used
><6 ----------> 11
><7 ----------> 7
><8-10 not used
><11 ---------> 6
><12-19 not used
><20 ---------> 4
><21-25 not used
><Unfortunately for me, this doesn't work at all.  Any help would be
>You're right, it wouldn't work.  The key word here is "printer" port.  You
>have to connect to a "serial" port.  The printer port is a Centronics type
	Assuming you ARE using a serial port, this pinout would have a
higher likelyhood of success:
	computer                          printer
	       2 ------------------------ 3
	       3 ------------------------ 2

	       5 -|---------------------- 20 (handshake, pin 11 sometimes)
               6 -|                          ( see your printer manual )

	       7 ------------------------ 7

				       |- 4
                                       |- 5
                                       |- 6

          You might want to check out an excellent book on the subject,
"The RS-232 Solution", by Joe Campbell.

/*+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+          These views are my own, and my facts may not be correct.         +
+  Mike Macgirvin                                                           +
+  - Systems Administrator  Stanford Relativity Gyroscope Experiment (GP-B) +
+  - Internet:              mike@relgyro.stanford.edu (36.64.0.50)          +
+  - Bitnet:                mike%relgyro.stanford.edu@stanford              +
+  - Uucp:                  uunet!relgyro.stanford.edu!mike                 +
+  "'Scuse me, while I kiss the sky" - Robert James Marshall (Jimi) Hendrix +
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++*/

huilin@hpindda.HP.COM (Hui Lin Lim) (08/02/89)

/ 0rrodrig@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Russ Rodriguez) / 11:35 pm  Jul 31, 1989 /
writes:
>I am in need of directions on how to connect the 25-pin printer port
>on an IBM PS2 model 70 to a serial printer interface on a printer.  I was
>under the impression that it worked this way:
{stuff deleted}

The printer port on PCs and PS/2s (I think) are parallel ports.
The sure way of confirming it is the sex of the connector.
Serial ports have male connectors (pins sticking out).  Parallel
ports are female (sockets).  As such you can't hook the printer
port up to a serial printer.  The correct cable for the printer
port would have a male 25 way D-type connector at one end and an
Amphenol connector (for the parallel Centronics interface) at the
other.

Hui-Lin Lim
ARPA: huilin%hpinddf@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!hpinddf!huilin
Phone:  (408)447-2835

mrichey@orion.cf.uci.edu (Mike Richey) (08/03/89)

In article <40970016@hpindda.HP.COM> huilin@hpindda.HP.COM (Hui Lin Lim) writes:
>/ 0rrodrig@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Russ Rodriguez) / 11:35 pm  Jul 31, 1989 /
>writes:
>>I am in need of directions on how to connect the 25-pin printer port
>>on an IBM PS2 model 70 to a serial printer interface on a printer.  I was
>>under the impression that it worked this way:
>{stuff deleted}
>
>The printer port on PCs and PS/2s (I think) are parallel ports.
>The sure way of confirming it is the sex of the connector.
>Serial ports have male connectors (pins sticking out).  Parallel
>ports are female (sockets).  As such you can't hook the printer
>port up to a serial printer.  The correct cable for the printer
>port would have a male 25 way D-type connector at one end and an
>Amphenol connector (for the parallel Centronics interface) at the
>other.

incorrect, you need to state which pin on your printer provides hardware
handshaking. Sometimes its DTR (pin 20) sometimes it's RTS (pin 4)
sometimes pin 11 or 19. it all depends upon the model printer.
Well a cable constructected.

PS/2                 Printer
----                 -------

 2 (TXD)             3 (RXD)
 3 (RXD)             2 (TXD) This may not be necessary
 5 (CTS),6(DSR)      20 (DTR) or 4 or 19 or 11 (whichever pin handshaking is
   these are            supplied
   jumped together.

7 (sig ground)      7 (sig ground)

That cable will work. You'll need a female DB25 for your PS/2

you'll have to issue two commands from DOS

MODE COM1:9600,n,8,1,p
(assuming 9600 baud,No parity,8 databits,1 stop,printer

MODE LPT1:=com1

(yes, i left the colon off of com1)
well, good luck.

barton@holston.UUCP (barton) (08/07/89)

In article <319@helens.Stanford.EDU>, mike@relgyro.stanford.edu (Mike Macgirvin) writes:
> In article <2479@astroatc.UUCP> brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
> >In article <28202@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> 0rrodrig@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Russ Rodriguez) writes:
> ><I am in need of directions on how to connect the 25-pin printer port
>           You might want to check out an excellent book on the subject,
> "The RS-232 Solution", by Joe Campbell.

I too can highly recommend this book, it helped me cure my case of
RS-232 Blues!

It is worth it's weight in gold.

Note: I am in no way connected to the author or publisher, just a
satisfied customer.
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell,vector}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP