[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Missing command.com

ins_bmrm@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (has) (08/07/89)

Hi,
   I am faced with this problem recently. I have accidently erase my
command.com in c drive and when I reboot my computer it will give me
an annoying message " Non system disk or disk error. Replace and
hit any key " . What I would like to know is how to reinstall the
command.com without having to reformat the hard disk. Is there any
software in the market that will be able to do just that ??? And if not,
is there any clever way to cheat the DOS into believing that it has the
the C drive using assembly language ???

I would appreciate any suggestions from the net.
Thanks in advance.

- Ian Edmet -

Please email to :

	( BITNET )  INS_ARM@JHUVMS

g-tookey@rocky.cs.wisc.edu. (Richard Schaut) (08/07/89)

In article <2226@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_bmrm@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (has) writes:
>   I am faced with this problem recently. I have accidently erase my
>command.com in c drive and when I reboot my computer it will give me
>an annoying message " Non system disk or disk error. Replace and
>hit any key " . What I would like to know is how to reinstall the
>command.com without having to reformat the hard disk. Is there any

Boot off a flopy, and copy command.com over to the root directory of
your hard disk.

Rick
Please send e-mail to:
schaut@madnix.UUCP
ArpaNet: madnix!schaut@cs.wisc.edu
UseNet: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!schaut
             {decvax!att}!

Madison: an alternative to reality

I am posting this through a friend's account.  His consent to my use of his
account in no way implies his consent to responsibility for the opinions
expressed herein.

lisbon@vpnet.UUCP (Gerry Swetsky) (08/07/89)

If you were merely missing command.com, the message would say:
    "Bad or missing command interpreter"
However, that's not the message you're getting.  You're problems are
far more serious than that.  Command.com is merely a program which can
be copied to the hard disk from a floppy the same as any other program.

Re-format your disk with the /s switch set.  If you want to try doing a
"sys c:" first from a floppy that may work, but it's doubtful.

| Help stamp out stupid .signature files!		    Gerry Swetsky   |
| Home (312)833-8122  Vpnet (312)833-8126               lisbon@vpnet.uucp   |