[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How to set clock time?

HJW2@PSUVM.BITNET (07/30/89)

My AT clone (DTK motherboard, DTK BIOS) has a built-in, battery operated clock
which is 5 minutes slower per day.  I have tried to use setup program to reset
the clock time but all I could do is to set the current time not the clock
speed.  So, every once in a while, I just set the time to keep it accurate.  I
am wondering if there is a way to set the clock speed just like that in an
ordinary watch?   It does not affect the system performance though.
-------
                                                   _____    ___
H. WU       HJW2@PSUVM.BITNET                       _|_    |___|
            BUSINESS LOGISTICS DEPARTMENT          |_|_|   |___|
            PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY         _|_|_|_  |___|
                                                   |   |   _/ |__|

kbe@dde.uucp (Kjeld Borch Egevang) (08/04/89)

HJW2@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

>My AT clone (DTK motherboard, DTK BIOS) has a built-in, battery operated clock
>which is 5 minutes slower per day.  I have tried to use setup program to reset
>the clock time but all I could do is to set the current time not the clock
>speed.  So, every once in a while, I just set the time to keep it accurate.  I
>am wondering if there is a way to set the clock speed just like that in an
>ordinary watch?   It does not affect the system performance though.

Write a program setting the hardware-clock and call it from AUTOEXEC.BAT. The
necessary interrupt is described in the recently posted list in
comp.binaries.ibm.pc. You'll need some day-to-seconds routines in order to
find the number of seconds since last setting and the add the percentage
necessary (hey, perhaps I ought to write such a program myself!).

The original IBM AT uses a Motorola hardware clock (I'm very unsure, but I
think it's called 6318) with a fixed clock :->, so tuning is not possible.

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (08/05/89)

In article <199@mother.dde.uucp>, kbe@dde.uucp (Kjeld Borch Egevang) wrote:
}HJW2@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
}
}>My AT clone (DTK motherboard, DTK BIOS) has a built-in, battery operated clock
}>which is 5 minutes slower per day.  I have tried to use setup program to reset
}>the clock time but all I could do is to set the current time not the clock
}>speed.  So, every once in a while, I just set the time to keep it accurate.  I
}
}Write a program setting the hardware-clock and call it from AUTOEXEC.BAT. The
}necessary interrupt is described in the recently posted list in

An easier solution (the one I use, even though my clock is only slow by eight
seconds per day), is to grab AT-CLOCK.ARC from PD1:<MSDOS.AT> on SIMTEL20.
It contains a program that, when run from AUTOEXEC, will adjust the DOS time
based on the elapsed time since the CMOS clock was set and the specified rate
of time loss (or gain).  Works like a charm, and even adjusts for daylight
savings time if you are in the US.  Never (well, almost) set your clock again!

AT-CLOCK also includes a program that will tell you the rate at which your
clock is losing or gaining time, so that you can fine-tune the adjustment.

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46

Alan Demers: Here is the promised Fast Fourier Transform example.  It worked
         for the two examples I tried, so I'm fairly sure it is correct.
Student: Proof by exhaustive testing?
Demers:  Well, it sure exhausted me.

hgcjr@utastro.UUCP (Harold G. Corwin Jr.) (08/08/89)

In article <24dadd52@ralf>, Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
> An easier solution (the one I use, even though my clock is only slow by eight
> seconds per day), is to grab AT-CLOCK.ARC from PD1:<MSDOS.AT> on SIMTEL20.
> It contains a program that, when run from AUTOEXEC, will adjust the DOS time
> based on the elapsed time since the CMOS clock was set and the specified rate
Could some kind soul please e-mail me a copy of this?  Or send it to
Rahul Dhesi for posting in c.b.i.p?  Or send me the name and address
of the author so that I could get a copy on floppy?  We can't FTP out
of here without a hard money account, and yrs trly is between grants.
Many thanks!
Harold
--
Harold G. Corwin, Jr.
  UUCP: {backbonesite}!{noao,cs.utexas.edu}!utastro!hgcjr

mwilcox@pcocd2.intel.com (Mike Wilcox ~) (08/08/89)

Could some kind soul please send me a uuencoded version of
AT-CLOCK.ARC.

I  do not have FTP access.

thank-you

Mike Wilcox                mwilcox@pcocd2.intel.com