[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Northgate Problems

mhnadel@gryphon.COM (Miriam Nadel) (06/23/89)

Has anyone else experienced incredible hassles with attempting to get service
from Northgate Computers?   Or can people who have dealt with them or other
mail order houses give me an idea of whether I am out of line in being fed
up with them?

I purchased a 386 from Northgate in early March (the phone call - and my
credit card charge were on February 18th, the build invoice is dated February
28th, the picking ticket claims an order date of February 20th and a shipping
date of March 7th and I received the machine on March 12th.)

I had problems with the machine from the very first day.  When changing the
system time from Central time to Pacific, I had to rerun the CMOS setup
several times to get rid of "diskette types mismatch errors."  The first
phone call I made to their tech support was on March 14th and their help
consisted only of the suggestion that I try running the CMOS setup again.

I was able to get the machine to run with only minor anomalies  for the next
few weeks (note, however, that I was out of town and not using the system
for about 8 days during that period!)  Those anomalies I attributed to
my unfamiliarity with DOS 4.01.   On April 2nd I changed the time because
of a change to daylight savings time.  Immediately afterwards, I attempted
to run a program I had been using successfully for several months (on other
machines) and recieved a "not enough memory" message.   I performed a warm
boot and received a "diskette types mismatch or drive error: run setup"
message.  I ran the CMOS setup routine and was able to reboot the system.

Later that afternoon I created a subdirectory using "mkdir."  The system
appeared to hang so I rebooted it after about 5 minutes.   When I looked
at the root directory I saw that the subdirectory had been created.  I
attempted to remove it and received a "directory not empty" message.  When
I used "dir" to look at the subdirectory, I saw a listing of all the files
and directories I had on the entire disk.  I attempted to delete these from
the subdirectory and discovered that they had not actually been copied but
that the FAT had apparently gotten scrambled so that I ended up deleting the
system from the disk.

I called the Northgate tech support people and they suggested using the DOS
4.01 install program to reformat the hard disk and reinstall DOS.   The
system appeared to work fine for the next two days, at which time I left
on a business trip and a weekend vacation.

I returned home on April 10th and turned on the system.  It appeared to
work find but I noticed that when I had changed to daylight savings time
I had forgotten to type a "p" so I was off by 12 hours.   Therefore, I
reset the time again.  I then played a game which requires one to
reboot to exit.  When I did a warm boot, I got an error message from
PCTools that Mirror was unable to make a copy of my FAT.   (I have
PCTools Deluxe 5.0 and have Mirror in my autoexec.bat).  I looked at
the disk directory and saw that the FAT was again scrambled and that all of
the files and directories on the disk were referenced in the listing of
the directory of the last subdirectory I had created.

I again called the tech support people who suggested reinstalling DOS.  I
attempted to do so but received several error messages from the install
routine, ranging from the system hanging while attempting to format the
hard disk (I would see an "attempting to recover bad allocation unit"
message but nothing would happen for an hour at which point I performed a
cold boot) to "hard disk controller error 0" while rebooting to "disk
not partitioned."  In the latter case I exited "install" and used
fdisk to examine the partitions and saw that I did indeed have a primary
DOS partition occupying the entire disk.  I attempted "install" again and
when I received the same error message, let the "select" program choose
the partitions.  This was supposed to cause the system to reboot; however,
nothing happened.

Up to this point I had not had trouble attempting to boot up from a diskette.
The next time I attempting to boot from the system disk, I received a few
"drive A not ready" messages before I was able to boot up.  On other
attempts to boot up the system, either nothing happened or I received "hard
disk controller error 0" messages and/or "diskette types mismatch or drive
error" messages; the latter went away when I ran the CMOS setup, sometimes
repeatedly.   I had several conversations with Northgate technical support
people during that period but their advice was only to keep running the
CMOS setup.

The next problem which developed was a "video error" message (one long beep,
followed by two short beeps) or nothing at all happening when I attempted
to reboot.   Another two calls to technical support in the course of
which I reseated the video card without effect and examine the leads on
the video card to make sure they were not shorted.  I was still unable to
get the BIOS to recognize the video card.  At this point the technical support
person offered me the option of either having them send me a new video card,
hard disk and hard disk controller or shipping the system back to them for
repair; I opted for the latter given the large number of problems I'd
been encountering.

The machine was sent back to Northgate on April 14th.  I received it back on
May 18th and the invoice stated that the motherboard had been replaced to
fix the video problem and that the disk controller had been replaced to
fix the hard disk errors.  I left the machine on running a graphics routine
for the next two days in a vain attempt to burn in the boards.  (I say now
that it is a vain attempt because the program did not access the hard disk
after intialization so really did nothing to check out the controller.  Read
on to see the relevance of this remark.)

The next problems appeared on June 11th.  (Note that I was out of town from
June 1 - 8th so that the problem may have occurred as early as May 31th.
I did not turn on the machine between then and June 10th.)  I turned on the
machine to play games for a brief time on the 10th; when parking the machine
prior to turning it off, I noticed a strange sound.  The next day the system
booted fine initially but a warm boot (due to a program hanging) resulted in a
"drive C: disk error" message.  I finally managed to reach Northgate technical
support on the phone on June 14th but they were unable to assist me because
I was at my office, rather than at home with the system.   I called them early
on the morning of the 15th and they advised reseating the controller and all
the ribbon cables and, if that failed, reformatting the hard disk.   Neither
of these had any effect.  I attempted reformatting the hard disk using
PCFORMAT (from PCTools Deluxe) and received a "bad system area" message.  I
called back and attempted a low level format but received "bad sector"
messages for every sector.  The technician then decided that my hard disk
was beyond help  and authorized replacement of the disk and controller.

I received the new hard disk and controller on June 15th.  On the 16th I
installed them.  When I removed the old hard disk, I noticed what appeared to
be corrosion on the back, near the pins for the ribbon connectors but I
do not know if this is of any relevance to the problems.   The physical
installation was without incident; however, when I reached the "low level
format" step the command "g=c800:5" in debug did nothing.  I called tech
support again (6/19) and they told me to use "g=cc00:5" for a color system.  (
Why this isn't in the installation documentation is beyond me but it turns out
that the disk was already supposed to be low level formatted and several other
areas of the documentation are out of date so it isn't awfully surprising.)
At any rate, I then ran fdisk and attempted to format the disk but DOS
format failed.  When I ran PCFORMAT, I received a "bad partition table"
message.  I called tech support again (6/20) and told them this and the
technician's response was "why did you low level format?"  I told him that
I was following the directions in the installation manual and that if I wasn't
supposed to low level format, the other technician I spoke to should have told
me not to.  He then directed me to delete the partition and repartition the
disk which I did.  It then formatted but "dir" indicated that the disk was
only 10 Mb (instead of 65).  The technician advised me to repeat the low
level format.  I did this that evening and was able to partition and format the
disk.  However, while "format c: /s /v" wrote the system onto the disk, the
system still could not be booted from the hard drive.  (I received "missing
operating system" messages.)

The next morning I attempted to redo the DOS level format and first looked
to see what, if anything, had been written to the disk in the previous
attempt.  When I typed "dir c:" I received an "invalid drive" specification
message.  Rebooting, I was able to access the drive but when I attempted
redoing the DOS level format, it was unsuccessful.   I ran fdisk and looked
at the partition table and it showed that I had an active primary partition
of 17 Mb but claimed the overall disk size was 10 Mb.  That afternoon I
copied fdisk and format off a machine at work so that I could test whether
the problem was with them or the hardware.  They were able to partition and
format the disk but "dir" indicated that the disk was 34 Mb and I still
received a "missing operating system" message when attempting to boot from
the hard drive.   I decided to go ahead and see if I could actually run anything
from the hard drive so I copied a small graphics program on and it appeared
to run fine.   The next morning (this morning! 6/22) I booted up the sytem
preparatory to calling tech support again.  I did a "dir" of the hard disk
and found that the program I had put on the previous day had vanished.
When I talked to tech support, the only possibility they could offer was
that the drive had been damaged in shipping (not preposterous since they
ship them in unsealed wrappings in styrofoam which has considerable potential
for causing damage from static electricity!)

When they offered to ship another replacement hard disk and controller, I
told them that I wanted to discuss any options I might have for returning
the whole system since it had only worked between 25 and 43 days out of the
roughly 100 that I had it.  (It depends on what you want to assume about whether
the machine was working when I was away; even if it were 43% reliability is
pretty poor in my eyes!) They gave me the number of the customer
satisfaction department.  When I called them I discussed the situation and
they called technical support, they decided that I had not had sufficient
problems with the system to warrant refunding my money.  If I insisted on
returning it, there would be a 15% restocking fee because this was "such a
long time" after I received the system.  (Note that the system has a 1 year
warranty.  I was never informed of any restriction on how long I had to
give up hope of their tech support people finding and fixing the problems.
The only relevant phrase on the warranty as far as I can tell is "returns due
to customer error are subject to a 15% restocking fee;" it is unclear to me
how they could claim that this applies to my situation.  Another paragraph
of the warranty states that "any damage, items missing, or any other
discrepancy with your requested order must be reported to Northgate within
7 days of receipt or the buyer waives any and all indemnities for such
discrepencies."  However, this appears to me to refer to things like them
sending you a monochrome system when you paid for VGA and the like.
They said I should make another attempt with a replacement hard drive and
controller; I asked whether they would then refund my money should such a
replacement be unsuccessful to which the customer satisfaction representative
replied that she couldn't make guarantees.

I agreed to this attempt, mostly because I see no other choice.  I remain
unimpressed with the competence of the technical support people (on one of
my many phone calls - each one of which seemed to result to talking to a
different technician, by the way - I was told that hardware problems are rare
and that almost all of their calls are people who don't understand DOS.  If
this is indeed so, it could account for their failure to diagnose hardware
problems.   However, since they are in the business of selling software, I
do not consider this an adequate excuse.)

At this point I am almost hoping that the new hard disk and controller
do not work because I am so disgusted with the repeated problems that
I've had.  (Even during the period when the machine has worked, there have
always been some anomalies - largely video related, but I have not had
the time to attempt dealing with these.)  I have advised two colleagues who
were considering purchasing essentially the same system to use local dealers
instead since any savings I might have had by buying from Northgate have
been eaten up by long distance telephone calls (only sales has an 800 number;
several times I have asked tech support to call me back when they could not
help on the first attempt but they have yet to do so.  Indeed, the
customer satisfaction department was supposed to have them call me today
with a new return merchandise authorization number but I have been in my
office all afternoon with nary a peep.

Disgustedly,

Miriam Nadel

--
Not one of the 18% of Americans who are underweight.

mhnadel@gryphon.COM   <any backbone site>!gryphon!mhnadel   nadel@aspen.aero.org

(re: Northgate problems)

That is absolutely HORRIBLE!

I wish you luck in getting the system repaired; if you decide you have had
enough give us a holler... We'll be more than happy to help you out with a
'386 system....

And no, we don't yank customers around like that when there are problems...

I would be INCREDIBLY pissed off if this happened to me -- that is not, by
any reasonable standard, customer service!

Secondly, I can't believe they actually charged your credit card almost a
month before shipment!  Again, that's not something I would consider
reasonable.  We certainly don't do that kind of crap -- but is something
that often happens in this industry.

I wish you the best in resolving these problems...

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

saal@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (samuel.saal) (06/26/89)

These problems seem pretty severe.  I can't comment on them
except to say that my experience has been different.

I bought my NorthGate 286/12 shortly after it was rated Editor's
Choice in PC Magazine.  It did take a long time to ship and they
did bill my card immediately.  However, I when I got the credit
card statement, I was able to write to the card company andrefuse
to payuntil I received the machine.  Interest was defered, as
well.

Since then, they've been pretty good about tech support.  It is a
pain to get through to them.  The support line is usually busy.
I prefer that to being put on hold when it's my dime (would that
it were only a dime :-).  Last week my monitor wouldn't power up.
I called and the first thing they asked (after I told them that I
had tested the outlet and done the normal checks) was what brand
monitor I had.  When I told them it was an Imtec (VGA), they said
"OK, no prob.  There have been power supply problems with them
and we no longer supply them."  They Federal Expressed a new
monitor (Princeton Graphics Ultra 14 - probably better than the
Imtec) the same day and I have 2 weeks to ship the old one back.
They recommended I ship cheapest way - book rate?:-) However, the
cable that came with the new monitor was bad (bent and missing
pins; I blame the monitor company) and they are Federal
Expressing a new cable to me.  They would have charged me extra
for Saturday delivery so I'm waiting for Monday's delivery.

I am pretty satisfied with the fact that they answer questions
quickly, though, I admit, the few I've asked haven't been too
tough.
--
Sam Saal         ...!attunix!saal   <-- NOTE: Please use this path.
                 Do not use the reply feature.  It doesn't know me.

hjg@amms4.UUCP (Harry Gross) (06/28/89)

In article <17029@gryphon.COM> mhnadel@gryphon.COM (Miriam Nadel) writes:
>Has anyone else experienced incredible hassles with attempting to get service
>from Northgate Computers?   Or can people who have dealt with them or other
>mail order houses give me an idea of whether I am out of line in being fed
>up with them?

	[severe horror story deleted]

No, I don't think you are out of line being fed up.  Northgate has been
running a very expensive ad campaign in PC Magazine for several weeks
(months?) now.  They are trying to impress everyone with the fact that they
have created an 'elegant' machine.  If your experience is typical, then
they have a _very_ strange definition of the word 'elegant' :-)

Seriously, I hope you are able to solve your problems, but I would tend to
shy away from Northgate after having read about your difficulties.

--
		Harry					 |  reserved for
							 |  something really
Internet: hjg@amms4.UUCP   (we're working on registering)|  clever - any
UUCP: {jyacc, qtny, rna, bklyncis}!amms4!hjg		 |  suggestions?

ugbell@sunybcs.uucp (William Bell) (06/28/89)

To: mhnadel@gryphon.COM
Subject: Re: Northgate Problems
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Bcc:
	What a nightmare! I bought a system from Rose Hill and just
received it.  They keyboard didn't work correctly so I called
the 1800 number and left a message for my salesman who sold me the system.
Then the operator at Rose Hill suggested talking with Tech Help
which I did and they were very helpful.  They arranged to send
me a new keyboard, and once I receive it to send them the broken one.
They will pay UPS-Ground fees.  Later that day my salesman called!
Which totally surprised me since most companies never call it seems.
We will see about any other problems, but it seems to be working
out great!

mjs@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mike Sensale) (06/30/89)

A recent posting by Miriam Nadel suggests that Northgate computers are
plagued with problems. I submit to you  that Ms. Nadel is the Problem.
I am a proud owner of a Northgate PC and where my machiot been
perfect as is true with all machines any and all problems I have encountered
have been easily corrected by the Northgate techs. Many of these problems
were simply improper settings caused by myself and resident programs.

It is obvious that Miraim Nadel has little or no experience with
PC's.  Here posting reads like a disgruntled house wife who went out and
bought herself a computer without taking into account the the complications
of setting one up. Now it appears as if she fears having to explain to some
other party how the family budget has suddenly been decreased by $4000.

I spoke to Northgate yesterday. The tech. I spoke with happened to be the
same one who handled Miriams calls. I was told that they did everything
possible to resolve her problem.  Nortgate even offered to replace the entire
PC at no charge. She refused and claimed she wanted a full refund, not a
refund with a 15% restocking charge.

It seems to me that people who buy from mail order companies forget that
it is a totally different situation than when buying from a computer store.
First of all you cant see what you are buying and there is somewhat of a
risk involved. However, Northgate has had an outstanding reputation for
shipping quality machine with very short turn-around time on repairs. Secondly
Prices are lower because Mail order companies do not have the overhead of
the computer stores. All this along with over the phone technical support
allow mail order companies to sell there products at lower costs.  What
Miraim and other people do not realize until they have the computer in there
homes is that saving a few dollars means putting in a bit of time configuring
your machine to work with you software and hardware. Basically it comes down
to... caveat emptor.

In case you don't know what that  means Miraim it means "Let the buyer beware"

smn+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sherri Menees Nichols) (07/01/89)

> Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.ibm.pc: 30-Jun-89 RE: Northgate Problems
> Mike Sensale@beach.cis.u (2055)

> It is obvious that Miraim Nadel has little or no experience with
> PC's.  Here posting reads like a disgruntled house wife who went out and
> bought herself a computer without taking into account the the
> complications
> of setting one up. Now it appears as if she fears having to explain to
> some
> other party how the family budget has suddenly been decreased by $4000.

I consider this paragraph sexist and offensive.  It should not be
necessary for you to attack Ms. Nadel in order to defend Northgate.

Sherri Nichols (a happy, female Northgate customer)
smn+@andrew.cmu.edu

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (07/01/89)

In article <20546@bikini.cis.ufl.EDU> mjs@beach.cis.ufl.edu writes:
>Nortgate even offered to replace the entire
>PC at no charge. She refused and claimed she wanted a full refund, not a
>refund with a 15% restocking charge.

Before I bought my own system from Northgate, I asked about the return
policy.  I was told about a 30-day "compatibility warranty":  if I had
any trouble with compatibility with other hardware or software within
30 days after purchase, I could return the machine and get a refund.
No 15% restocking charge was ever mentioned to me on the telephone.

Were I to have any trouble with my machine (haven't had any so far),
want to return my system, and be asked to pay 15%, I would be very,
very upset.  In the mail/phone order business there are many verbal
agreements, and I expect everybody I do business with to keep them.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

smvorkoetter@watmum.waterloo.edu (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) (07/01/89)

In article <20546@bikini.cis.ufl.EDU> mjs@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>A recent posting by Miriam Nadel suggests that Northgate computers are
>plagued with problems. I submit to you  that Ms. Nadel is the Problem.
>
>It is obvious that Miraim Nadel has little or no experience with
>PC's.  Here posting reads like a disgruntled house wife who went out and
>bought herself a computer without taking into account the the complications
>of setting one up. Now it appears as if she fears having to explain to some
>other party how the family budget has suddenly been decreased by $4000.

What is this Neanderthal doing on the net?  (mjs, not Miriam)

>I spoke to Northgate yesterday. The tech. I spoke with happened to be the
>same one who handled Miriams calls. I was told that they did everything
>possible to resolve her problem.  Nortgate even offered to replace the entire
>PC at no charge. She refused and claimed she wanted a full refund, not a
>refund with a 15% restocking charge.

Charging a restocking charge for returning a machine which does not and
never did work right is absurd.

>It seems to me that people who buy from mail order companies forget that
>it is a totally different situation than when buying from a computer store.

Oh, I get it.  It is okay for a mail order company to rip people off,
after all, that is what you would expect.  Get with it.  A mail order
company has every obligation that a store has.  What they don't have is
the overhead of maintaining a store front.  They make their money by
volume, and can thus offer everything a store can, for less.

(** Other drivel deleted **)

I also don't buy the line that Miriam knows little about PCs.  Of course
Northgate is going to tell you that.  But then, I tend to disbelieve any
things that a company that says bad things to one customer about another
customer would say.  Besides, how many people who know little about PCs
would order a killer 386 machine like that?

And finally, why do I suspect that you would not have made the "disgruntled
housewife" comment if you had not known from the name that this person
was female.  You certainly can't tell from the letter.  I didn't realize
(not that it matters other than in the context of your comment) until I
read your comment.

Stefan Vorkoetter
No particular affiliation as far as this letter is concerned

Please mail further comments to me, as this is not really
appropriate for comp.sys.ibm.pc

>Item 4071 (0 responses) by mjs at beach.cis.ufl.edu on Sat 01 Jul 89 22:22
>[Mike Sensale]    Subject: RE: Northgate Problems
>
>A recent posting by Miriam Nadel suggests that Northgate computers are
>plagued with problems. I submit to you  that Ms. Nadel is the Problem.
>I am a proud owner of a Northgate PC and where my machiot been
>perfect as is true with all machines any and all problems I have encountered
>have been easily corrected by the Northgate techs. Many of these problems
>were simply improper settings caused by myself and resident programs.
>
>It is obvious that Miraim Nadel has little or no experience with
>PC's.  Here posting reads like a disgruntled house wife who went out and....
(lots more deleted)

This is unadulterated garbage!

First off, your comment above is sexist and uncalled for.

Secondly, the report I read (did you read it all?) specifically referenced
two problems that I cannot reconcile with bad software, user
misunderstanding or other problems of that kind -- CMOS memory settings
altering themselves (!) and video board failures.

Neither of those can be caused by rogue software configurations, unless you
are doing low-level work (ie: writing "C" code which is bad can corrupt the
CMOS).  Nothing I can come up with would explain the video board boot
failures -- except a board or system failure of some kind.

Some of the disk troubles (disappearing files, corrupted FATs) _CAN_ be caused

by software errors.  If this is indeed the case, however, I would blame
Northgate anyways -- they are shipping DOS 4.x, WHICH IS KNOWN TO HAVE
PROBLEMS WITH SOME UTILITY SOFTWARE!  WHY WASN'T MIRIAM WARNED AND GIVEN A
CHOICE OF MSDOS 3.3 INSTEAD?

Specifically, some versions of Norton's will blow the FAT tables of a 4.x
disk drive, and some other utility software will do the same.  For this
reason we recommend AGAINST the purchase of 4.x at this time, instead selling
most customers DOS 3.30.  That many are unaware of the pitfalls in DOS 4 is
not an issue -- that NORTHGATE appears to be unaware of the pitfalls, didn't
advise the customer of the potential problems, and didn't know what had
possibly caused the problem after a failure is inexcusable!

In short, they sell the product.  They had darn well better know it also, or
eat the consequences.

I will address a few other concerns of Miriam's here as well (my prior
posting on this subject addressed the credit-card nonsense):

1) The replacement disk was claimed to have been shipped in a box without
   anti-stat wrap, surrounded by "peanuts" (styrofoam packing).  This is BAD
   NEWS.  Disk drives should be shipped in semi-rigid foam -- not styrofoam
   beads.  They should also be in some kind of conductive wrapping.  Styrofoam

   can generate thousands of volts of static charge when it is moved around,
   and "peanuts" shift, allowing the drive to bang against the side of the
   box!  Nothing that heavy, fragile, and with mass concentration similar to
   a fixed disk should EVER be shipped in a box using "peanuts" as cushioning
   material.  To do so is to ask for concealed damage to occur.

2) Northgate took a _month_ to fix the system the first time.  This is
   unacceptable, and does not live up to their stated service policies.
   I'd flame them to a crisp for that alone.

3) They acknowledged the problem by replacing the motherboard on the
   system.  In other words, they admitted something was broken.

4) I would like to hear how a software incompatibility can cause the system
   disk to be unformattable.  That is, how some software problem can prevent a
   _LOW LEVEL_ format from working.  I don't think that is likely in any set
   of circumstances.  Sounds like a bad disk or controller to me.

In short, I believe that the disk corruption may (MAY) have been caused by
software incompatibility problems - the rest sounds like hardware trouble to
me.  This does not excuse Northgate in the least -- they should KNOW WHAT
THEY SELL, and advise the customer accordingly.

It is reasonable for a company to charge a restocking fee on returned
hardware which is working at the time it is returned.  It's not reasonable
to do the same on a piece of equipment which has been nearly unusable since
it was purchased, has a one year warranty, and doesn't work right even after
a trip back to the factory for service -- not to mention that the time
during which it wasn't malfunctioning the gear was either in transit for
repairs or hadn't been shipped originally to the customer!

Selling something mail-order does not absolve the vendor from knowing the
products they are selling, including their pitfalls and weak points.

In my opinion, Northgate owes Miriam a working system or a full refund, and
owes every potential purchaser an explanation of the potential troubles when
shipping things like MSDOS 4 -- before they buy.

Disclaimer:  I'm the President of a company that sells ATs and 386 systems.

--

kjc@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6513400~Kevin Coulter~C29~L18~6282~) (07/04/89)

In article <20546@bikini.cis.ufl.EDU> mjs@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>A recent posting by Miriam Nadel suggests that Northgate computers are
>plagued with problems. I submit to you  that Ms. Nadel is the Problem.
>I am a proud owner of a Northgate PC and where my machiot been
>perfect as is true with all machines any and all problems I have encountered
>have been easily corrected by the Northgate techs. Many of these problems
>were simply improper settings caused by myself and resident programs.
>
>It is obvious that Miraim Nadel has little or no experience with
>PC's.  Here posting reads like a disgruntled house wife who went out and
>bought herself a computer without taking into account the the complications
>of setting one up. Now it appears as if she fears having to explain to some
>other party how the family budget has suddenly been decreased by $4000.

Rather, it is obvious that you are in the 0.0001% of Northgate owners who
have machines that WORK. In the fall of 1987, I purchased a $2500 286
machine from them. This was a lot of money to someone working 17 hours
a week in college, who needed a DOS machine. Nothing fancy. EGA, 32MB
HDU, dual floppy, 1MB RAM. It took until April to get a system that somewhat
worked. That system currently has a bad serial port, a bad NiCAD battery,
and it occassionally doesn't supply power to the HDU on bootup. That is the
best it's been since I've had it. It is also going to be sold to the first
computer store that I find that is dumb enough to buy used computers, and I
can get my AT&T machine set up.

I also think that it is unfair to suggest that the problems are Miriam's
fault. To me, it sounds like she's technically competent. Maybe I'm wrong.
But how do YOU know she is not right????? In any case, I can tell you, I
AM technically competent, and they have BAD HARDWARE. I don't know how
many HDU's, controllers, floppy drive's, etc. I installed in that machine
between Oct 87 and Apr 88. I sent the whole CPU back to them once (at my
expense), and it came back, dented as if it had been dropped (possibly
bby UPS, possibly by them; anyways, their "packing" is rotten). It did
not work. They sent me a new CPU (after they received the old one),
saying that they made extra sure everything was fine - DOS is loaded and
ready to go, just load your software. In the process of loading the
software (commercial packages with install programs e.g. WordPerfect,
Turbo Pascal, etc), I got "General Failure" on the HDU. Finally, they
sent me the above mentioned CPU, that somewhat works.

These CPU problems were magnified because neither myself nor anyone in my
immediate family had credit cards, so they had to receive the old part
before sending a new one. I wanted a refund. badly. I somehow talked to
the prez of northgate. When I told him how shabbly I was treated, how
I was getting the big delays due to no charge card (hey, it is not MY
fault that they have defective products), that I was TRYING to work
on my senior project, and that I felt that his support people took the
phone off the hook (I once tried calling an hour before their support
time began and got a busy for several tries), he wanted to know what I
did to HIS machines, and then HUNG UP ON ME! GIVE ME A BREAK!

By the way, their 100% refund applies (or at least did) only to DOS
compatibility issues. It does not apply to defective products. I guess
you gotta write some code that works on a IBM, but not a northgate. :-)

I currently work in Support for AT&T. If I ever acted as bad as Northgate
did, I would be fired instantly.

>I spoke to Northgate yesterday. The tech. I spoke with happened to be the
>same one who handled Miriams calls. I was told that they did everything
>possible to resolve her problem.  Nortgate even offered to replace the entire
>PC at no charge. She refused and claimed she wanted a full refund, not a
>refund with a 15% restocking charge.

What business do you have discussing Miriam's problems with a Northgate rep
without her permission? Replacing the PC did me no good. She DESERVES a
full refund!

>It seems to me that people who buy from mail order companies forget that
>it is a totally different situation than when buying from a computer store.
>First of all you cant see what you are buying and there is somewhat of a
>risk involved. However, Northgate has had an outstanding reputation for
>shipping quality machine with very short turn-around time on repairs. Secondly
>Prices are lower because Mail order companies do not have the overhead of
>the computer stores. All this along with over the phone technical support
>allow mail order companies to sell there products at lower costs.  What
>Miraim and other people do not realize until they have the computer in there
>homes is that saving a few dollars means putting in a bit of time configuring
>your machine to work with you software and hardware. Basically it comes down
>to... caveat emptor.
>
>In case you don't know what that  means Miraim it means "Let the buyer beware"

Try I got suckered like Miriam did by their nice ads! What a farce. I think
you are saying that because they are mail order, they don't have to play
fair. BULL! Wake up and smell the coffee!!!

				Kevin

The above comments are purely those of Kevin Coulter. Your mileage
may vary.

--
 Kevin Coulter			"If it don't have wheels, it ain't a sport!!!"
 AT&T Data Systems Group

kji@vpnet.UUCP (Ken Isacson) (07/04/89)

After all that I have read about Northgate computers in PC magazines, I would
not touch one with a ten foot pole!

nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) (07/05/89)

[massive complaints about Northgate computers...]

Someone needs to print these complaints and send them to Computer Shopper,
PC Magazine, etc, etc; the magazines that publish Northgate Ads under
"Truth in Mail Order Advertising" rules.

yhe@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Youda He) (07/05/89)

I am in the 386 market, after reading posts about Northgate, it is out of
my consideration.

pre1@tank.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (07/15/89)

Well, maybe I'm the only one on the Net who can report good experiences with
Northgate products, but I think that I had better, lest someone think that
only negative things are said about them.

First, I have to say that these are the first negative things that I've heard
said about Northgate.  I read the computer press pretty regularly and don't
recall any complaints, much less ones of this magnitude!  It should be noted,
however, that these industry rags are the same ones in which Northgate tends
to advertise.  I'm not suggesting, or even implying, a relationship, just
making an observation.

Second, all the things that I've heard on my local BBS's, as well a friend
who owns two Northgate 386's, have been very positive.  My friend has
recommended the Northgate line to numerous people.

Just wanted to get a little balance in there.

		Grant Prellwitz

lowood@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Henry Lowood) (07/16/89)

In article <4467@tank.uchicago.edu> pre1@tank.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) writes:
>Well, maybe I'm the only one on the Net who can report good experiences with
>Northgate products, but I think that I had better, lest someone think that
>only negative things are said about them.

I have also been very satisfied with my Northgate machine.  I also agree with
the rest of your posting, in that all the reviews I have read have been
positive.  I was flabbergasted when I read the previous postings.

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (07/17/89)

In article <4467@tank.uchicago.edu> pre1@tank.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) writes:
>Well, maybe I'm the only one on the Net who can report good experiences with
>Northgate products, but I think that I had better, lest someone think that
>only negative things are said about them.
>
>First, I have to say that these are the first negative things that I've heard
>said about Northgate.  I read the computer press pretty regularly and don't
>recall any complaints, much less ones of this magnitude!  It should be noted,
>however, that these industry rags are the same ones in which Northgate tends
>to advertise.  I'm not suggesting, or even implying, a relationship, just
>making an observation.

As somebody who used to work for one of the "industry rags" you
mention (InfoWorld), I can guarantee you that they would not hold back
or otherwise not do a story because the subject was an advertiser.
Several times during my two years there we did stories on mail order
company ripoffs -- including our own advertisers.
--
"Inanna spoke:
	My vulva, the horn, the Boat of Heaven, is full of eagerness like

dorf@b11.ingr.com (David Dorfmueller) (07/18/89)

In article <4467@tank.uchicago.edu> pre1@tank.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) writes:
>Well, maybe I'm the only one on the Net who can report good experiences with
>Northgate products, but I think that I had better, lest someone think that
>only negative things are said about them.

[text deleted]

I have also bought a Northgate Computer and have been very pleased with
it.  I was beginning to think I bought the wrong one.

David Dorfmueller
uunet!ingr!dorf

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (08/03/89)

In article <5485@b11.ingr.com> dorf@b11.UUCP (David Dorfmueller) writes:
|In article <4467@tank.uchicago.edu> pre1@tank.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) writes:
|>Well, maybe I'm the only one on the Net who can report good experiences with
|>Northgate products, but I think that I had better, lest someone think that
|>only negative things are said about them.

I have a northgate and am very pleased with it, except that I'm having
some problems locating a 32-bit memory expansion board; I need at
least 8Mb in the thing and can only fit 4Mb on the motherboard.  If
anyone has any suggestions as to where to find a board (preferably
empty) I'd be very happy.

Besides that, the machine is reliable, quick, and not very expensive.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (08/08/89)

In article <[4071.1]comp.ibmpc;1@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>Disclaimer:  I'm the President of a company that sells ATs and 386 systems.
>
>--
>Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
>Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
>Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.		"Quality Solutions at a Fair Price"

Glad to have your address, Karl. If I'm in the market soon for another
386 box, I'm gonna give you first crack at it!

And, btw -- Miriam has been an insightful net contributor for quite a
while.  If she's not happy, I'M NOT HAPPY!

--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors@well.sf.ca.us