[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC Anywhere with Non-IBM Computers

HXN@PSUVMXA.BITNET (08/04/89)

Has anyone tried to connect to an IBM running PC Anywhere with a non-IBM
computer (Apple, Amiga, etc)?  When using ATERM on a IBM there is no problem
of course since it was written to specifically handle the text and graphics
output that is produced by an IBM.  PC Anywhere does, however, allow you to
have it emulate different terminal types.  I tried connecting to the office
IBM with an Amiga using a VT100 emulator but had little success.  Advice?

Also, if you were able to use VT100 emulation for text display, what would
happen if you attempted to run a program which used graphics?

mrichey@orion.cf.uci.edu (Mike Richey) (08/05/89)

In article <89216.090901HXN@PSUVMXA> HXN@PSUVMXA.BITNET writes:
>Has anyone tried to connect to an IBM running PC Anywhere with a non-IBM
>computer (Apple, Amiga, etc)?  When using ATERM on a IBM there is no problem
>of course since it was written to specifically handle the text and graphics
>output that is produced by an IBM.  PC Anywhere does, however, allow you to
>have it emulate different terminal types.  I tried connecting to the office
>IBM with an Amiga using a VT100 emulator but had little success.  Advice?
>
>Also, if you were able to use VT100 emulation for text display, what would
>happen if you attempted to run a program which used graphics?

I've used PC-Anywhere with Televideo terminals (ver 2.14 and ver 3.00)
I don't know about the Amiga package your using, but some VT-100
emulators don't work the same. On one of our Unix systems here, Kermit-PC
generates the proper characters to position the cursor. Procom 2.45
however does not properly emulate the down and up arrow keys. Procomm Plus
ver 1.00 does not emulate the up,down,right,left arrows properly either. So
there may be a minor problem with your terminal emulation. PC-Anywhere is
very flexible though. Well, just some input, may not be what you're looking
for.

hans@let.vu.nl (Hans Varkevisser) (08/08/89)

In article <2453@orion.cf.uci.edu>, mrichey@orion.cf.uci.edu (Mike Richey) writes:
> In article <89216.090901HXN@PSUVMXA> HXN@PSUVMXA.BITNET writes:
>Has anyone tried to connect to an IBM running PC Anywhere with a non-IBM
>computer (Apple, Amiga, etc)?  When using ATERM on a IBM there is no problem
>of course since it was written to specifically handle the text and graphics
>output that is produced by an IBM.  PC Anywhere does, however, allow you to
>have it emulate different terminal types.  I tried connecting to the office
>IBM with an Amiga using a VT100 emulator but had little success.  Advice?
>Also, if you were able to use VT100 emulation for text display, what would
>happen if you attempted to run a program which used graphics?

I use PC Anywhere with a Beehive 100 terminal and with a Ampex 210,
in both cases I can use graphics.
I run Wordperfect on those terminals with no big problems, the only
problem I have are the extended characters not the line drawing
characters.
I use the program to control the LAN from our Unix system, form unix
I can run all the programs on the Dos LAN.

--
Organisation:	Free University, Faculty of Literature
                Amsterdam, the Netherlands