[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS CD-ROM Programmers Library

tat@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tom Thackrey) (08/02/89)

In article <3045@blake.acs.washington.edu> djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) writes:
 >Speaking of the Microsoft programmer's library CD-ROM package...
 >
 >Has anyone tried it out?  How fast is access?  Is it worth the $950?
 >Do you actually use any of the online docs and code samples?

I have a copy and use it frequently.  I don't use the TSR mode because
it uses too much memory and most of my work requires Windows which doesn't
like TSRs.  It contains a lot of documentation and a fair amount of source
code.  The features I like best are 1) documenataion for products I don't
have, but occasionally have questions about (like the Windows device driver
developers kit), 2) Ability to search documents for a word or phrase (like
a module name or message, 3) Source code for examples from several well
known books to compile and explore.

I think the $950 price you quote must include the CD-ROM drive.  I have
a drive so the price was about $350-$400 I don't remember exactly.
If you can use the TSR mode it would increase the usefulness quite a bit.

Tom.Thackrey@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Tom Thackrey) (08/05/89)

--
Fidonet:  Tom Thackrey via 1:363/9
Internet: Tom.Thackrey@mamab.FIDONET.ORG

tat@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tom Thackrey) (08/09/89)

In article <167.24DDB56B@mamab.FIDONET.ORG> Tom.Thackrey@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Tom Thackrey) writes:

 >--
 >Fidonet:  Tom Thackrey via 1:363/9
 >Internet: Tom.Thackrey@mamab.FIDONET.ORG
 >Usenet:  ...!peora!rtmvax!libcmp!mamab!Tom.Thackrey

Someone has sent the above message in my name, I do NOT appreciate it!