[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OS/2 Applications Currently Available

kthompso@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (Kevin W. Thompson) (08/03/89)

Much has been said about the pros and cons of OS/2, and about
the possibilities for its success.  Ultimately success is
determined by applications.  As a current user of OS/2,
I would like very much to have some good applications for it.
Unfortunately, although many companies have announced OS/2
products, few are actually shipping them, and it is hard to
find out what is available now.

I propose the following:  When you, an OS/2 user, have
acquired and are actually using an OS/2 application, let us know
about it, and what you think of the product.  Post a message
in this newsgroup.  The idea here is to find out what products
are actually available.  If we all share information about what
applications are available, we are all likely to be more productive.
(Please, no descriptions of forthcoming products, or MS DOS products
which run in the OS/2 DOS compatibility mode!)  Messages about
applications someone else you know is currently using and which are
available now would also be of interest.  Also, describe your
computer and OS/2 version.

I'll start by saying that I'm using WordPerfect 5.0 for OS/2 to do
my word processing.  It is almost identical in appearance in functionality
to the MS DOS version.  The OS/2 version seems quicker than the DOS
version, perhaps because all the code is RAM resident (no overlays?).
I'm quite happy with it.  I'm using a 16 MHz Compaq Deskpro 386, and
Compaq's OS/2 version 1.1.
Kevin W. Thompson
thompson@galileo.arc.nasa.gov

michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu (Michel Biedermann) (08/03/89)

In article <2705@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, kthompso@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (Kevin W. Thompson) writes:
> I propose the following:  When you, an OS/2 user, have
> acquired and are actually using an OS/2 application, let us know
> about it, and what you think of the product.  Post a message
> in this newsgroup.  The idea here is to find out what products
> are actually available.  If we all share information about what

Would it not be possible to create an OS/2 newsgroup to cover this?

Michel Biedermann
U. of Oregon

Michel.Biedermann@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Michel Biedermann) (08/06/89)

--
Fidonet:  Michel Biedermann via 1:363/9
Internet: Michel.Biedermann@mamab.FIDONET.ORG

UD092096@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Barry Pederson) (08/09/89)

I've got a PS/2 model 55sx running Extended Edition 1.1, but the only OS/2
program I've used is Kermit.  It's pretty handy to start up a file transfer
with another machine and then be able to do something else, but switching
to a program in the DOS compatibility box would screw up the transfer.  As
long as I stuck with working in OS/2, it worked fine.  I haven't used it
extensively, so all I'm saying is that it's an OS/2 program that exists.

I think C-Kermit is available for anonymous FTP from watsun.cc.columbia.edu
-------
Barry Pederson    ud092096@vm1.nodak.edu   or   ud092096@ndsuvm1.BITNET