[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desqview command line options

ben@val.UUCP (Ben Thornton) (08/02/89)

I need to be able to have Desqview load one or more applications
automatically upon startup.  Is there a way to do this either using
the command line or a script file?  I am running version 2.24 on a
80286 machine.

--

Ben Thornton             packet:  WD5HLS @ KB5PM
Video Associates Labs      uucp:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!val!ben

boyer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (08/02/89)

Ben Thornton writes:

>I need to be able to have Desqview load one or more applications
>automatically upon startup.  Is there a way to do this either using
>the command line or a script file?  I am running version 2.24 on a
>80286 machine.

You can create a startup script that is executed every time you start
DesqView.  To do this, go into DV.  With the main DESQview menu displayed,
start learning a keyboard macro.  Name the macro "!startup" (I think only
the initial "!" is required to make this a startup macro.  Use your own naming
convention).  Open the windows that you want to be opened at startup.
Be sure to use the keyboard to do this, not the mouse.  When you have opened
the applications, finish the keyboard macro <shift-alt> etc.

By naming a macro with an initial "!", the macro will be executed every time
you start DesqView.  This also works for window specific macros.  Any macro
associated with a specific window and named with "!..." will execute when
the window is opened.

Dave Boyer

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (08/02/89)

This capability is one of the many reasons I love DESQview!  Read your
manual!  It is in the section on scripts!  One part specifically talks
about Defining a Startup Script!

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (08/09/89)

>I need to be able to have Desqview load one or more applications
>automatically upon startup.  Is there a way to do this either using

Record a macro where the macro name begins with '!' from the initial
Desqview menu.  Note that Desqview stores separate macro files for each
application also, and separate !startup macros can be used to perform
functions when you start up each application.