[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EGA card for composite output?

conan@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll) (07/14/89)

Does anyone know if they make an ega card that drives a composite
ega monitor???
I want to connect the ega card output to my vcr so i can make
titles and other stuff for tapes.
Send mail directly to me at:
--
conan@vax1.acs.udel.edu OR conan@192.5.57.1
****I only play DISC GOLF and drink tea****

hcooper@esunix.UUCP (Harrison Cooper) (07/17/89)

In article <3972@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, conan@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll) writes:

> Does anyone know if they make an ega card that drives a composite
> ega monitor???
> I want to connect the ega card output to my vcr so i can make
> titles and other stuff for tapes.
> Send mail directly to me at:
> --
> conan@vax1.acs.udel.edu OR conan@192.5.57.1
> ****I only play DISC GOLF and drink tea****

I am posting this for a couple of reasons, primarily because I am
not sure if anything I do post actually gets posted (someone, please
only one person, might post something to indicate I am getting out).
I had a project to use some graphics stuff and record to a vcr.  In
calling around, I found out there are either *very* expensive methods of
doing this, or rather inexpensive ways.  Since I was working with a
limited budget, I chose to go with the latter.  This consisted of using
a CGA card with composite video output, and splitting it to a monitor
and vcr.  I will admit, the graphics, when transfered, is going to be
only CGA, so it does lack the pizaz of EGA or VGA, but it did do the
job.  Total expenditures were about $50.00 for the card, and $100.00
for the monitor.  The quality of the transfered image is due to the
qualtity of the vcr (which is a different subject on its own, and does
not belong here).  FYI, by using the proffessional wide video tape (such
as the systems many school districts once used), a nice image can be
transfered.  Again, this does adds to the cost.  By the way, this set up
records what is on the screen, so what you see is what you get.  Use
one of the many slide show type programs (I have seen some PD types).

For what it is worth......

Harrison Cooper  N7KST
:wq

jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) (07/28/89)

	The orginal IBM CGA has a composite video out (as you pointed out).
	The EGA and VGA did not include this feature.  Bummer.

--

"I'm an anthropologist, not a computer systems architect, damit!"

jdm@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz vdelta crash]!hodge!jdm

James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist	TEL: (714) 998-7750 Ext. 129
Hodge Computer Research Corporation	FAX: (714) 921-8038
1588 North Batavia Street
Orange, California 92667  USA

gwang@berlioz (George Wang) (07/28/89)

In article <21078@hodge.UUCP> jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) writes:

>	The orginal IBM CGA has a composite video out (as you pointed out).
>	The EGA and VGA did not include this feature.  Bummer.

ATI Technologies makes the ATI EGA wonder which comes with
two composite video jacks.... I believe you can still use a
9-pin to RCA converter on the EGA cards provided you set
the EGA card for composite/RBG output....

George

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (07/28/89)

In article <21078@hodge.UUCP> jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) writes:
<
<	The orginal IBM CGA has a composite video out (as you pointed out).
<	The EGA and VGA did not include this feature.  Bummer.

Makes sense, considering that EGA and VGA modes are NOT NTSC compatable.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

corbin@maxzilla.Encore.COM (08/10/89)

 >leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
 >>gwang@berlioz (George Wang) writes:
 >>
 >>ATI Technologies makes the ATI EGA wonder which comes with
 >>two composite video jacks.... I believe you can still use a
 >>9-pin to RCA converter on the EGA cards provided you set
 >>the EGA card for composite/RBG output....
 >
 >Are you *sure* those are composite video jacks? Most EGA cards duplicate
 >the IBM "feature connector" which among other things, uses two RCA type
 >jack. But the signals aren't NTSC video!!!

Yes, the ATI EGA Wonder puts out a composite video signal on one of the
RCS jacks (J1).  Putting a jumper on C3 pins 2&3 enables composite output
on J1 while a jumper on C3 pins 1&2 connects J1 to the feature connector.

The card also has an RF modulator port.