[net.general] newsgroup reorg

ted@bcsaic.UUCP (ted jardine) (09/05/86)

In article <216@bridge2.UUCP> pvf@bridge2.UUCP (Paul V. Fries) writes:
>I wrote a message to rick@seismo about the reorg.  Here was his reply:
>
>>From glacier!decwrl!pyramid!hplabs!hao!seismo!rick Sat Aug 30 10:33:59 1986
>>Date: Fri, 29 Aug 86 23:22:30 EDT
>>Subject: Re: Newsgroup reorg
>>
>>You are, of course, free to drop off the network.
>>You certainly aren't doing ME a favor by "passing the shit along".
>>Start a mailing list if its that important.
>
>Great attitude, huh?

This is indeed a most repugnant attitude.  I am posting this follow-up to ask
two questions, both of Mr. Rick Adams and the readership of Usenet.

	1.  By what authority does Mr. Adams attempt to run this
	    network with such a heavy hand?  Arpanet is owned by
	    DOD, but Usenet is not owned by anyone.

	2.  Do the readers of the net really want to permit what
	    is tantamount to censorship of legitimate, civil
	    communication?  If it happens to net.rec.skydive, it
	    can also happen to anyone else's group.

I would like to politely invite Mr. Rick Adams to back way off.  I think
that he has taken his "job" far too seriously, and is in need of a nice
long rest.  It is he who should 'drop off the network', not any of us.
(Cogent mail accepted; flames to /dev/null).

TJ {With Amazing Grace} The Piper
(aka Ted Jardine)  CFI-ASME/I
Boeing Knowledge Based Systems Center
...uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!ted