[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desqview + comm program = trouble?

john@compugen. (John Beaudin) (08/04/89)

Am I supposed to be able to run a comm program (using modem)
in window 1, hit the desqview hot-key, run a spreadsheet for a while
in another window, then return to the comm program without missing a beat?.

This, on a 286. I use the comm program in desqview with a direct connect
to another cpu with no problems. But frequently, with the 1st configuration,
when I return to the comm window, there's nobody home. Characters may
or not be in transit from the other cpu.

--
We don' sign no stinkin dots

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (08/05/89)

In article <2068@compugen.>, john@compugen. (John Beaudin) writes:
 >Am I supposed to be able to run a comm program (using modem)
 >in window 1, hit the desqview hot-key, run a spreadsheet for a while
 >in another window, then return to the comm program without missing a
 >beat?.
 >
 >This, on a 286. I use the comm program in desqview with a direct connect
 >to another cpu with no problems. But frequently, with the 1st configuration,
 >when I return to the comm window, there's nobody home. Characters may
 >or not be in transit from the other cpu.

It sounds suspiciously like the communications program is being swapped
out to free up some memory to run the spreadsheet.  If you see a little
window go up in the upper-right-hand corner of the screen that says
"Swapping..." and a flurry of hard-disk activity, then it's swapping
out the comm. program.  Go to the "Change Program" screen, and flip
the "Can program be swapped out?" option to "No".  This means that
you will have less memory available (you may not be able to run
your spreadsheet and comm. program at once), but the connection won't
get dropped.

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

marquis@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Roger Marquis) (08/06/89)

In article <603.24DB138A@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>In article <2068@compugen.>, john@compugen. (John Beaudin) writes:
|>Am I supposed to be able to run a comm program (using modem)
|>in window 1, hit the desqview hot-key, run a spreadsheet for a while
|>in another window, then return to the comm program without missing a
|>beat?.
|>This, on a 286. I use the comm program in desqview with a direct connect
|>to another cpu with no problems. But frequently, with the 1st configuration,
|>when I return to the comm window, there's nobody home. Characters may
|>or not be in transit from the other cpu.
>It sounds suspiciously like the communications program is being swapped
>out to free up some memory to run the spreadsheet.

  I have the same problem with DV background communications i.e.,
unreliability, even with the 'optimize communications' parameter on,
Telix loaded first, 'swap out?' set to NO and the background clock set
to 10 (fg to 2). With a 20mhz 386 you wouldn't thing there would be a
problem but Telix will frequently lose packets (ZMODEM) or lock up.
Even when it does work it will usually lock-up when I exit DV (though
this may be caused by my running DV from a batch file which reloads my
TSRs upon exit). While I don't use QEMM.SYS there are still 100K out of
640 left for other things like text editing.
  Do other DV users have this problem?

	marquis@qal.berkeley

rwh@me.utoronto.ca (Russell Herman) (08/06/89)

In article <27016@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> marquis@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Roger Marquis) writes:
>  I have the same problem with DV background communications i.e.,
>unreliability, even with the 'optimize communications' parameter on,
>Telix loaded first, 'swap out?' set to NO and the background clock set
>to 10 (fg to 2). With a 20mhz 386 you wouldn't thing there would be a
>problem but Telix will frequently lose packets (ZMODEM) or lock up.
>Even when it does work it will usually lock-up when I exit DV (though
>this may be caused by my running DV from a batch file which reloads my
>TSRs upon exit). While I don't use QEMM.SYS there are still 100K out of
>640 left for other things like text editing.
>  Do other DV users have this problem?
>
>	marquis@qal.berkeley

I'm running DV386/QEMM on a noname and Telix3.11.  Works beautifully EXCEPT
for the following, and only during ZMODEM file transfers:

	1. long floppy accesses occasionally make TELIX lock up.
	2. the washing machine is on the same circuit.  The valve solenoid
	   will cause it to scramble a packet and time out.  Inserting a
	   power-line/modem-line conditioner DIDN'T help, to my surprise.

Make sure you have the latest/greatest DV.  I've heard rumours of problems
with 2.21-2.23.

Russ Herman
INTERNET: rwh@me.utoronto.ca  UUCP: ..uunet!utai!me!rwh

reeves@dvinci.USask.CA (Malcolm Reeves) (08/10/89)

I have used DV successfully with multiple Comm programs - e.g. a BBS and
telix or procomm. If you use a comm program I seem to remember that you
must use DVANSI and you can't have any TSR's (even in a non-comm window).
I had to "play" for hours to get it to work but it's the TSR's not
DV that give problems in most cases. Try it with no TSR's and don't load
DV from a batch file. I have an ATT PC6300 and can run an Opus BBS on one
Com port and call myself through the other port. This is a truly useless
feature but it does work!