[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desqview 386 Problems

jmoore@dtix.navy.mil (Jim Moore) (08/03/89)

Situation :
   I have a Nec PowerMate Portable 386sx with an Intel AboveBoard with
   4Mb of RAM.  The Nec has a full 640K base RAM and VGA. I also
   have a 3COM Etherlink II board running Sun's PC-NFS, and a
   Microsoft BUSS Mouse.

   I recently bought DesqView (V 2.2) and QEMM.  GOAL : to be able
   to run Ventura publisher 2.0 in extended memory via Desqview
   and QEMM.

PROBLEM :
   It almost works.  I have installed DesqView, rename xdv.com to dv.com,
   execute dv, the open a window and run the memroy status program.
   It tells me there is 3300K of available extended memory and
   the largest block size is 430K!!!  The DesqView manual says that
   there should be 550K for the largset block!!!

   Ventura, of course, complains about not enough memory.

   My config.sys entry for qemm.sys is DEVICE = qemm.sys.  The
   copyright notice for qemm comes up when I boot.  The INTEL
   memory is active, because both the hardware test and the
   INTEL chkmem program (and dv) recognize it (and I had previously
   been using it as a ram disk : no longer installed in my config.sys)

Apeal for HELP:
   Help!.   Please post to the net as a misunderstanding between
   the NIC and my site manager has caused a situation where no
   email can come to our site from domain mailers.  I love computer!

   Thank you for any help,

   Jim Moore
   Code 1822
   DTRC
   jmoore@dtrc.arpa
   jmoore@dt18.arpa
   (202)-227-1029

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (08/04/89)

In article <632@dtix.ARPA> jmoore@dtix.navy.mil (Jim Moore) writes:
<Situation :
<
<   I recently bought DesqView (V 2.2) and QEMM.  GOAL : to be able
<   to run Ventura publisher 2.0 in extended memory via Desqview
<   and QEMM.
<
<PROBLEM :
<   It almost works.  I have installed DesqView, rename xdv.com to dv.com,
<   execute dv, the open a window and run the memroy status program.
<   It tells me there is 3300K of available extended memory and
<   the largest block size is 430K!!!  The DesqView manual says that
<   there should be 550K for the largset block!!!

You have a complete mis-understanding of what multi-tasking software will
do for you.  If you are thinking that you can make DV give VP more than
640K to work with, forget it.  Even though you have 4Mb of memory in the
system, DV breaks that up for each DOS partition that is opened.  It makes
little DOS systems out of the memory that is there.  Unfortunately, it eats
up some of the 640K for its overhead, which is why I use VM/386, which
provides real 640K for DOS.  Anyway, if you were hoping to take some of the
extended memory and "give" it to VP to make it think that is has, say, 2Mb
of memory to work in, it won't.

You are actually losing available DOS memory because of DV.

Doesn't VP use expanded memory?  If so, you can use an expanded memory piece
of software and provide all the memory that can be given to VP.  Also, don't
use DV, as you will lose some of the 640K.

Remember DV is for when you want to run more than one DOS program at the
same time, not to manage memory for a single DOS program.
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

bose@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (08/04/89)

You should try to free up as much base memory as possible prior to running
desqview.  Set your buffer size to 4, since desqview386 sets up its own
buffers.  Minimize the TSRs that you run prior to running desqview.  You
can run them in a desqview window later.

Check your desqview "change program" setup for Ventura, and make sure you
are allocating enough memory.

I have a 386 with a VGA card and get about 575K window sizes.  The only
TSR that I run prior to running desqview is the mouse driver.

mitsu@well.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (08/06/89)

		You are probably low on memory because your device drivers and
mouse driver is being loaded in the lower 640K.  What you need to do is
specify the RAM option (perhaps also specifying some addressing range---
consult your manual) and use the loadhi.sys and loadhi.com programs to
load your device drivers and mouse driver up above 640K, thereby freeing
more space for Desqview to use to create DOS partitions.

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (08/06/89)

>   I have a Nec PowerMate Portable 386sx with an Intel AboveBoard with
>   4Mb of RAM.  The Nec has a full 640K base RAM and VGA. I also
>   have a 3COM Etherlink II board running Sun's PC-NFS, and a
>   Microsoft BUSS Mouse.

>   the largest block size is 430K!!!  The DesqView manual says that
>   there should be 550K for the largset block!!!

The problem is almost certainly the that your LAN software and mouse driver
are loaded in conventional ( <640k) memory.  The memory taken up by any
device drivers or TSRs is subtracted from the amount of memory
available in *each* window.

Fortunately, Quarterdeck supplies a program and a driver with QEMM that
allows you to put device drivers and TSR's in the free memory available
between 640K and 1 MB.  There are usually a couple of substantial chanks of
memory in there you can use.  The main limitation is that the programs you
load must each fit into a *contiguous* chunk of mappable memory.

Install QEMM.SYS with the RAM parameter.  Then use QEMM.COM (or is it .EXE?)
to look at your memory map.  Those portions labeled 'Mappable' can be used
by LOADHI.COM or LOADHI.SYS to load your MOUSE.SYS and LAN software in.  See
your QEMM documentation for details.  With luck, you should be able to get
575K or better in each window.  Ventura will work fine with that.  If you
*do* still have a problem, you can reduce Ventura's memory requirement by
stealing some of its graphics and text buffer space.  This is done by adding
the parameter 'a=n' where 'n' is a number up to around 30, to your vp.bat
file.

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (08/08/89)

In article <2520@astroatc.UUCP> brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>You have a complete mis-understanding of what multi-tasking software will
>do for you.  If you are thinking that you can make DV give VP more than
>640K to work with, forget it.

Actually, DV/386 can give more than 640K to programs, but not much, and probably
not to someone using VP.  I have a Hercules clone card, and since it doesn't use
the memory between addresses A0000 and AFFFF, DV's QEMM gives this to programs.
After loading drivers etc, programs typically get about 650K.  But I doubt anyone
would use Ventura on a Hercules card.

Duncan Murdoch

stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios valavanis) (08/08/89)

In article <632@dtix.ARPA> jmoore@dtix.navy.mil (Jim Moore) writes:

>   It almost works.  I have installed DesqView, rename xdv.com to dv.com,
>   execute dv, the open a window and run the memroy status program.
>   It tells me there is 3300K of available extended memory and
>   the largest block size is 430K!!!  The DesqView manual says that
>   there should be 550K for the largset block!!!
>
>   Ventura, of course, complains about not enough memory.
>
>   My config.sys entry for qemm.sys is DEVICE = qemm.sys.  The
>   copyright notice for qemm comes up when I boot.  The INTEL
>   memory is active, because both the hardware test and the
>   INTEL chkmem program (and dv) recognize it (and I had previously
>   been using it as a ram disk : no longer installed in my config.sys)
>
>   Jim Moore

i had this problem when trying to get excel to run under DV/QEMM.  the
trick is to tweak every bit of memory out of conventional memory by
pushing those drivers up into high memory (recollections of this
weekend).  use the loadhi.sys and loadhi.com as stated in the QEMM
manual but make sure you allocated the memory first with params to
your QEMM statement.  that is add the ROM=xxxx-xxxx to the DEVICE=QEMM
line.  don't put RAM alone for QEMM to use all that's available it
will hang DV.  i played around a bit and found that 64k is about the
most you can get without any probs (since DV needs 60k of this memory)
DO NOT allocate the highest 64k!!!  start from the lowest part of the
expanded memory (past 640k).  run QEMM alone from dos to get a map of
what memory is there.  don't be fooled by the RAMmable memory and
MAPable memory.  you can use any of that for high RAM.  email me or
post if you continue to have problems.

Oh, by the way netland, i solved my warm-boot-hangs-from-DOS with QEMM
installed.  seems you can't tell QEMM to move the video ROM to fast
RAM when your machine already is doing that with shadow RAM.  don't
know any more details but IT WORKS!

thanks for all the responses...  they helped!

stel
--
Bitnet:	stel%tank.uchicago.edu@uchimvs1.bitnet | i don't know
Internet: 		stel@tank.uchicago.edu | YOU don't know?

stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios valavanis) (08/08/89)

In article <2520@astroatc.UUCP> brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>In article <632@dtix.ARPA> jmoore@dtix.navy.mil (Jim Moore) writes:
><Situation :
><
><   I recently bought DesqView (V 2.2) and QEMM.  GOAL : to be able
><   to run Ventura publisher 2.0 in extended memory via Desqview
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                           runs only in conv. mem but this was only a mistake

><   execute dv, the open a window and run the memroy status program.
><   It tells me there is 3300K of available extended memory and
><   the largest block size is 430K!!!  The DesqView manual says that
><   there should be 550K for the largset block!!!
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
             this person clearly understands that he doesn't get all
the memory for program space!

>You have a complete mis-understanding of what multi-tasking software will
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    don't be so quick to judge!  he did understand

>do for you.  If you are thinking that you can make DV give VP more than
>640K to work with, forget it.  Even though you have 4Mb of memory in the
blah blah blah...

>of software and provide all the memory that can be given to VP.  Also, don't
>use DV, as you will lose some of the 640K.
not realy.  DV can go up high and you can get rid of buffers, move
drivers, etc, lots of good stuff

>Remember DV is for when you want to run more than one DOS program at the
>same time, not to manage memory for a single DOS program.
         ok you have a point there. he might have misunderstood that
i don't know
flame off
stel
--

In article <4885@tank.uchicago.edu> stel@tank.uchicago.edu (stelios  valavanis) writes:
>In article <632@dtix.ARPA> jmoore@dtix.navy.mil (Jim Moore) writes:
>
>>   It almost works.  I have installed DesqView, rename xdv.com to dv.com,

>weekend).  use the loadhi.sys and loadhi.com as stated in the QEMM
>manual but make sure you allocated the memory first with params to
>your QEMM statement.  that is add the ROM=xxxx-xxxx to the DEVICE=QEMM
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AARGH!!! I MEANT RAM=xxxx-xxxx i hope this didn't screw anybody up!
oh and don't use the ROM param for BIOS ROM if your machine does that
in shadow RAM already.  i said that already.
stel

--

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (ody) (08/09/89)

In article <632@dtix.ARPA> jmoore@dtix.navy.mil (Jim Moore) writes:
| PROBLEM :
|    It almost works.  I have installed DesqView, rename xdv.com to dv.com,
|    execute dv, the open a window and run the memroy status program.
|    It tells me there is 3300K of available extended memory and
|    the largest block size is 430K!!!  The DesqView manual says that
|    there should be 550K for the largset block!!!

  I ran DV and QEMM until I could get a reasonable UNIX for the 386 (I
got my 386 in 1986 when they were new and shiny). I had a bit over 600k
free, more than if I ran just DOS. I don't remember all the details, but
I had all of the device drivers out, and no TSR's in before starting DV.
I had one session which only ran TSR's, and that worked reasonably well.

  You might check how much junk gets loaded before DV, since I think you
have to keep it.

  Let us know how you make out.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg F. Thompson) (08/09/89)

In article <358@maytag.waterloo.edu> dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:
>Actually, DV/386 can give more than 640K to programs, but not much, and probably
>not to someone using VP.  I have a Hercules clone card, and since it doesn't use
>the memory between addresses A0000 and AFFFF, DV's QEMM gives this to programs.
>After loading drivers etc, programs typically get about 650K.  But I doubt anyone
>would use Ventura on a Hercules card.
>
>Duncan Murdoch
I installed DV/386 on an Epson 386 with Hercules graphics and with 4 megs of
extended memory.  After specifying RAM on the QEMM command line, chkdsk
reports 720k!  But in dv (xdv) it reports that I can open windows of only
640k (well the first gets 644k).

Gregg
--
To live is to die, to die is to live forever;			GRegg Thompson
Where will you spend eternity?			     greggt@vax1.cc.uakron.edu

I reply to mail messages, only and always.

m2@insyte.UUCP (Mike Arena) (08/09/89)

In article <632@dtix.ARPA> jmoore@dtix.navy.mil (Jim Moore) writes:
>Situation :
>   I have a Nec PowerMate Portable 386sx with an Intel AboveBoard with
>   4Mb of RAM.  The Nec has a full 640K base RAM and VGA. I also
>   have a 3COM Etherlink II board running Sun's PC-NFS, and a
>   Microsoft BUSS Mouse.
>   the largest block size is 430K!!!  The DesqView manual says that
>   there should be 550K for the largset block!!!

Try using the LOADHI.SYS supplied with QEMM for as many of the device drivers
as possible in the CONFIG.SYS.  LOADHI will place most of the device driver's
code in extended memory instead of below 640k.  Also, obviously, you should
avoid loading lots of TSR programs before running DESQview.  Also, there is
a program called BUFFERS.COM (I think) that loads DOS buffers into extended
memory.  This goes in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

My CONFIG.SYS looks something like this:

DEVICE=\DV\QEMM.SYS RAM ROM [other options]
DEVICE=\DV\LOADHI.SYS \DV\MSMOUSE.SYS /C1	/* Mouse Systems mouse */
BUFFERS=2					/* Set only two DOS buffers */
...						/* in regular memory */

In the AUTOEXEC.BAT:
BUFFERS +14					/* Adds 14 more DOS buffers */
...						/* in extended memory */

NOTE: I am doing this all from memory so you should look into the QEMM manual
for info on LOADHI and BUFFERS.

CHKDSK in DOS says I have 604k of free memory.
The largest program size reported by Memory status in DESQview is about 576k.

I have DESQview 2.22 and QEMM 4.1.

BTW, in the DESQview setup program, if I select PC Mouse for the mouse
selection (which is what I have) I get no response at all from the mouse.
If I select Microsoft Mouse, it seems to work fine.  However, before entering
DESQview, I must "enable" the mouse by running some program in DOS which uses
a mouse (like Microsoft WORD).  Any other PC Mouse users experienced this
problem or solved the setup quirk?
--
Michael J. Arena  (617) 965 8450    | UUCP: ...harvard!linus!axiom!insyte!m2
Innovative Systems Techniques       |       ...harvard!necntc!lpi!insyte!m2

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (08/11/89)

>extended memory.  After specifying RAM on the QEMM command line, chkdsk
>reports 720k!  But in dv (xdv) it reports that I can open windows of only
>640k (well the first gets 644k).

Yes, but that's 644k *after* 'DOS is loaded.