[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AT single board computer

kiely@lownlab.harvard.edu (James P. Kiely) (08/04/89)

I am looking for a single board microcomputer that is
AT compatible.  It would be nice if it had one or
two expansion slots.  It is to be used for embedded
control.  If anyone know where I can find such a device
or if anyone knows of any directory (something along the lines
of  EEM) that would list such a device, please send me email.
I will summarize to the net.  Thanks.

(BTW: EEM == Electronic Engineers Master Catalog)

NAME:     James P. Kiely                USPS:   Kiely Laboratories
USENET:   ...!harvard!lownlab!kiely             P.O. Box 624
DOMAIN:   kiely@lownlab.harvard.edu             Allston, MA 02134-0624
PHONE:    +1 617 782 4136                       USA

huilin@hpindda.HP.COM (Hui Lin Lim) (08/08/89)

/ kiely@lownlab.harvard.edu (James P. Kiely) /  1:02 pm  Aug  3, 1989 /

>I am looking for a single board microcomputer that is
>AT compatible.  It would be nice if it had one or
>two expansion slots.  It is to be used for embedded
>control.  If anyone know where I can find such a device
>or if anyone knows of any directory (something along the lines
>of  EEM) that would list such a device, please send me email.
>I will summarize to the net.  Thanks.

There's a company called AMPRO which advertises regularly in BYTE
and other computer magazines which produces a line of single
board computers that are XT or AT compatible that have the form
factor of a 5.25" drive but they also have expansion options.
Sorry I don't have their address/phone handy but can get it if
you can't.

BTW their prices aren't cheap.

Hui-Lin Lim
ARPA: huilin%hpinddf@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!hpinddf!huilin
Phone:  (408)447-2835

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (08/10/89)

> I am looking for a single board microcomputer that is
> AT compatible.  It would be nice if it had one or

Hi,

Western digital makes a single-board (baby AT size) 12 MHz AT board.  There
are two models, the WDM-2 and the WDM-20.  Both have the following features
on board.

Paradise autoswitch 480 EGA
SIMM sockets
floppy / hard controller
parallel port
2 serial ports
mouse port
1 XT and 3 AT card sockets
Phoenix AT BIOS
battery backed clock/calendar

The WDM-20 can use up to 4 1 megabyte SIMMs, while the WDM-2 can use up to
4 256 Kbyte SIMM chips.  The on-board video can also be disabled on the
WDM-20.

I recently ordered some WDM-20s for our lab.  The going price is about $650
without any RAM.  I also ordered some 1 megabyte SIMM modules to populate
them for about $250 each.  I think we ordered them from USA Flex or a
similar place (check out the current issue of Computer Shopper - last few
pages in the very back).

The WDM-20 is an excellent board that is very compatible and very, very
well manufactured.  I'd recommend it highly for an afforable clone system.
There are cheaper boards, but you might get burned.  All said, I was still
able to build my clone AT systems with case, paper-white monitor, and 20
meg drive for $1468 each.  Beware no-name 16, 20, etc MHz AT boards,
especially if there is an Intel '286 on them; Intel does not make any '286s
faster than 12 MHz.  Harris, however, does make a fast '286.

I should add that I saved money by ordering the computers in unassembled
form.  It takes about 30 minutes or so to assemble a system, as there isn't
much more to to than bolting the items into the case and plugging in the
assorted cables, then formatting the HDU.

Bill    wtm@neoucom.edu   or   wtm@impulse.UUCP
        NEOUCOM
        Division of Basic Medical Sciences   M-117
        4209 State Route 44
        Rootstown (what a name), Ohio  44272-9995  USA   (216) 325-2511

hashemi@leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) (08/11/89)

In article <1698@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>> I am looking for a single board microcomputer that is
>> AT compatible.  It would be nice if it had one or
>
>Hi,
>
>Western digital makes a single-board (baby AT size) 12 MHz AT board.  There
>are two models, the WDM-2 and the WDM-20.  Both have the following features
>on board.
>
>Paradise autoswitch 480 EGA
>SIMM sockets
>floppy / hard controller
>parallel port
>2 serial ports
>mouse port
>1 XT and 3 AT card sockets
>Phoenix AT BIOS
>battery backed clock/calendar
I have 3 of these boards with 1 Meg of RAM on board, I'll sell for a very

reasonable price. If you are interested, send e-mail (with Tel. No. please,

since the mail going out bounces plenty of time :-( ), or better yet call

(408) 297-1944 10AM - 9PM PDT, if I am not there(Rahmat) ask for Bob, and

he will help you out.