[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Re^2: Modems and call waiting

tpf@jdyx.UUCP (Tom Friedel) (08/08/89)

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

>I missed the original.  I assume it asks how to disable call waiting while
>you are on the modem.

I missed the original too.  A more relevant question for myself would be
"How do you ensure that call waiting kicks you off"

I never know when I've got a call, or have some line noise.  Somethimes the
incoming calls kicks me off, sometimes it doesn't.

Tom

--
Tom Friedel             Public Access Unix BBS
tpf@prism.gatech.edu    ...gatech!emory!jdyx!tpf

nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) (08/09/89)

In article <1989Aug8.141909.8736@jdyx.UUCP> tpf@jdyx.UUCP (Tom Friedel) writes:
>chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>
>>I missed the original.  I assume it asks how to disable call waiting while
>>you are on the modem.
>
>I missed the original too.  A more relevant question for myself would be
>"How do you ensure that call waiting kicks you off"
>
>I never know when I've got a call, or have some line noise.  Somethimes the
>incoming calls kicks me off, sometimes it doesn't.

If you have call waiting on your phone line, it must be disabled every
time you place a data phone call. Precede your dialing sequence with
'*70', or '1170' if you are one of the unfortunate that must dial
with pulse dialing.

Note that the actual sequence you use to to disable call waiting can
vary from provider to provider. The ones mentioned above a commonly used
at phone companies affiliated with AT+T (Ma Bell.) Also, this procedure
cannot work if someone is placing a data call to you (you are the
answering end.) In this case, you must have the phone company
disable the call-waiting feature on your phone line.

nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu
!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!walt!nghiem

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (08/12/89)

Apparently, many people missed the original posting.  (It was not by me).
The user could disable call waiting with *70 when placing a call on his
modem, but wanted to know how to disable call waiting when RECEIVING a
call on his modem.  A place he calls with his modem has callback security,
so after he places his call he must hang up and wait for the other end to
call him back.  The trouble is that in answering the incoming call there
is no way to issue the *70 command, and that commands' affect only last
during one call.  So how can call waiting be disabled when answering a call?